ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Willy Springs!

Hi All,

Just found out what the metallic clanging was from the front left of my motor - The end of the coil has broken off and was knocking about in the damper seat. So my question...does anybody have any advice on what springs I should replace them with? Should I stick to Renault originals to keep the handling sweet, or are any of you Willy owners running uprated versions? Ive been quoted £65 just for one original spring!

Clio 182, OctaviaVRS

I get a sort of squeeking noise from the front right of mine when going over bumps - but (this is gonna sound weird now), it only seems to do it when my car is cold - once ive driven out of my road in the morning, or out of work at night - it seems to stop doing it? Now thats weird huh?

Oli depends if you want a lower look to the car really. But wouldnt replacing only 1 spring make the handling funny?. Considering the other 3 springs are more worn out. I myself are trying to get some H&R or Avo springs when I get around to getting the springs changed on my car.

Chun.

Trophy

Nick g,

Mine is exactly the same!!!
Not sussed out what it is yet? Im thinking lower arm. Let me know if you find out.

Mat.

Well for a start H & R dont do springs for the Williams, i tried to get some and was dissapointed, i would go for some Avo springs, they have a good reputation and they are a 25mm drop so it wont be too low and also they are only £50 for the pair.

Cheers

Dazz

Cheers for that Dazz....Ive heard that Avo are good but I really dont want to screw up the handling. Then again, at £50 for 2 or £75 for a single OEM one, I might change my mind.

Anybody else got any thoughts on this? -I need to get it sorted in the next couple of days

Clio 172 cup

Ive got a willy 2 and am also considering buying the Avo springs. But I think the torsion bar at the back will have to be lowered also to compensate for the 25mm drop at the front?

Im booked into a local place next week for springs and torsion bar reset so Ill let you know how things go....

Im gonna see if theyll give a club discount - cant hurt!

The only thing bout puttin lowering springs on the front is it makes your shocks work alot harder. The standard shocks wont last on there too long with lowering springs. So the best thing to do when u can afford it is to get Avo uprated shocks too.
Tony

mk2 172

ill second that, i had 35mm lower springs on my 16v and they knackered my shocks straight away, front end just couldnt absorb any impact whatsoever, this seemed to loosen things up a little at the front if thats the right term.

craggy

nickg123, i third that motion about squeaking. slight movement seems to do it, not huge bumps, and when warm it goes. with shocks
i know this is gonna sound weird, but can u mix and match parts, or are shocks for only the same manufactureres springs etc ... ?

I dont have a williams unfortunately but am looking to lower my clio but cant afford a whole suspension kit where is a good place to get some 30mm lowering springs or such like?????

Ta, Ben.