ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

window wiper fuse keeps blowing?

CLIO PH1 172
urgent help needed! no wipers in this shite weather!! pretty please....

long story short.

get in car, turn wipers on, nothing.....

check fuse, see its blown so replace it.

start the car...POP..ffs blown fuse again straight away...

mehhh try another might be a dodgy fuse....

start car again... POP

now im guessing there has to be wires touching or something? any easyway of testing this?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Odd.... my old car did a similar thing, but with the washer pump in the winter.

P.S. I saw your motor parked near Scutes at Brands on the weekend.

CLIO PH1 172
yea i cant work it out im guessing (hoping) its just a couple of corroded wire ends that i can fix/replace...
iv just had a look and they alll seem perfectly fine with no water anywhere.

also where is the relay for the wipers could this be the problem.

an yes that was me at brands. was a good day hopfully next year i will be on the track not just in the paddock ;)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You have a "short to positive" mate which is a live wire on that circuit touching metal.

Firstly remove all the scuttle panel plastics and disconnect the multiplug to the wiper motor assembly. Here is where a DMM comes in handy as we use them to check for continuity but if you don't have one insert another fuse in to the blown position:-

If when you turn the ignition on again the fuse doesn't blow the problem is an internal fault with the wiper motor itself and a replacement unit/rebuild is required.

If however when you turn it on again the fuse blows you still have a wiring issue and you should trace the live feed back thru the loom and in to the car near the glove box... The motor however is fine.

Mick

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
also where is the relay for the wipers could this be the problem.

The wipers control function is controlled by the UCH and you can't touch it as its soldered to the board. Check for signs of water ingress as its a common failure

Mick

CLIO PH1 172
Thanks mike I will have another look and do as you have said, I just need to pull the bloody wipers off!!

Thanks for the info

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Remove the nuts, spray some WD40 on the splines and walk away for 5 mins.

I have a tool for removing them but this normally helps penetrate and free up the century of crap that seizes em up.

Mick