ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windscreen coated in titanium?

Monaco 172
I had the windscreen on my 172 replaced today by autoglass as it had a stone crack in it.

I got chatting to the fitter and he said that the standard 1*2 windscreens are worth about £300 to £400 and also said that the blue coating which looks like a slight tint is a titanium film. I didn't question him as i know little about windscreens in general.

Is this true or is he full of sh!t?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
They have a heat reflective coating on . If you look in the centre of the windscreen down near the dash you'll see a little square . The French have toll roads and have automatic payments as they drive through them , so they need a gap in the heat reflective screen to pay for it .

Probably not worded the best but its the best way i can describe it lol .

Monaco 172
They have a heat reflective coating on . If you look in the centre of the windscreen down near the dash you'll see a little square . The French have toll roads and have automatic payments as they drive through them , so they need a gap in the heat reflective screen to pay for it .

lol the autoglass fitter said that square was designed to put satnavs there as the coating disrupts signal :)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^ Thats where alot of people put gps devices . I have my Talex speed camera detector there as it would struggle to pick up a signal anywhere else on the dash , so he's right . But the real reason initially was for French toll road payments .

mmmm interesting thread, you can clearly see the tint on the screens and more and more manufacturers are using these it seems, never knew really what it was and why that gap near the dash was there, thanks fellas!

lol the autoglass fitter said that square was designed to put satnavs there as the coating disrupts signal :)

It is there so any signal can get through but realy the french motorways need that bit of free space so the automatic chargers people stick there and drive though the booths without directly paying can.