ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

windscreen washer pump replacement

Hi,

For a little while now my windscreen washer hasnt been working as it should, it used to spray but it was spitting it out more than a constant stream. I went to use them today and nothing comes out at all, my fluid is full to the top. The pump still makes a noise but could this be the problem?

Ive been at it for a good couple of hours today, took out the jets to make sure they were clear, cleaned the tubing (everything that was reachable), blew air down the tube connecting to the tank, all this and still no joy.

I did attempt to take out the pump and the tank, i got as far as taking the wiper arms off and gave up as they just wouldnt budge!! Do the wiper arms need to come off? Can you slide the scuttle panel over the wipers?

Is there any easier way of doing this or any tips on removing the arms as it just isnt possible.

Many Thanks,
Sean

Clio 182
Pretty sure you have to take the wipers off to remove scuttle panel. I had to go and buy a tool to remove them.
Google 'wiper puller', they are relatively cheap.

mgd

Clio 182
Pull wipers arms off, take scuttle panel off, think it's 3x 13mm bolts to remove and the wiper linkage will squeeze out the gap below the windscreen, then 1 10mm bolt to remove te washer bottle

I remember mine being a nightmare to do this, I don't envy you

Yeah mine are the same, just will not budge!! I dont want to pull it too hard either as I've never done it before so I don't know how much I can pull it, I'd rather do it myself as it seems a waste of time and money taking it to a garage.

Do you know what the part number is so I can buy a new one if the pump is knackered?

CursedTitanium 182FF
Do both while you are there. On sale from Euro Car Parts for 50% off, so about £5 each +VAT part number: 488545100 (Pays to check first as there are 2 types)
Renault want £40ish each iirc.

99.9% sure it will be pumps.

Guide: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showt...=1#post7224228 (Make sure to locate the wiper mech back onto the locating pin on the bulkhead)

Last edited:

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
how come there are two pumps on the bottle, two water pipes on each?

and how come the replacement pump I got looks nothing like the one in there?

DSC_1172_zpsbhrzytpu.jpg

CursedTitanium 182FF
You have bought the wrong one. New on the left old on the right I take it?

See my post above.

1 pump does the front and rear screens and the other does the headlights.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
One on the right is correct from what i remember both pumps are same on 172 bottles thou

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
I had to do this with my girlfriends Clio recently. Was an absolute ball ace to get the passenger side window wiper off but managed to do it by hand in the end.

Finally got to the pump, replaced it and it made f**k all difference to the washers, they still don't work properly :banghead:.

Hope you have better luck.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Ffs I just followed the link in the other thread.

So I'm going to have to put it back together amd then do it again grrr

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
so the pump in question

DSC_1173_zpsvjlxs201.jpg

applied 12v to it and it worked fine

but put it in water and turn it on, no water out put

after removing a few parts it came down to this being not allowing the water through

DSC_1174_zpsoxh5o69i.jpg

took it to bits

DSC_1175_zpskrj6jh80.jpg

something is up with that little bit of plastic in the middle, I couldn't work out what. removed it and the pump worked perfect, water output, although I was aware not having that part in may cause other problems.

put the car back together and the only issue is when I turn either washer jet on back or front they both turn on at the same time. so that bit of plastic must be some form or value.

anyway it was a quick dirty fix as I purchased the wrong washer pump

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
You can trim that plastic bit down, there's a guide on here somewhere. But for the sake of £5 it really isn't worth it. I f**king hated doing this job lol...

Westfield, 182, 200
The washer motor runs one way for the front wipers and reverses for the rear.
Headlamp pumps is the same, cleans one headlamp, reverses and cleans the other.

White bit is the valve between the two outlets.

Sounds like your pipe or jets are blocked??

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
perfect many thanks

someone needs to make a proper guide with all relevant photos for the guide section

(that thread is missing a few very useful photos)

Arctic 182
You can do it without taking the wipers off - that's how I did mine, as have others.
All you have to do is undo the passenger scuttle and lift it up, then you can reach under and pull the pump out...

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
perfect many thanks

someone needs to make a proper guide with all relevant photos for the guide section

(that thread is missing a few very useful photos)

Thing is I think the overall conclusion is that for the sake of £5 it just isn't worth repairing lol.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
If you had read my posts I said the £5 pump I ordered was the wrong one, so for me it's perfect. But yes if you have the right pump put it in

clio 182
You can do it without taking the wipers off - that's how I did mine, as have others.
All you have to do is undo the passenger scuttle and lift it up, then you can reach under and pull the pump out...

Hi, can you remove the pump without taking the bottle off? I had done it once a couple of years ago but it was on a 1.6 clio and I think the bottle was different than the 2.0

Arctic 182
Hi, can you remove the pump without taking the bottle off? I had done it once a couple of years ago but it was on a 1.6 clio and I think the bottle was different than the 2.0

Yeah can also do it on those, there are just two pumps, one for windscreen washer and one for headlight washer - I believe the one for the windscreen washers is the one closest to the wing, so if its that one you're wanting to remove then yeah you can, same way as you'd have done it on your 1.6

clio 182
The problem is that on the 2 liter the pump are not the same as on the 1.6... The 2 liter pump has a 90 degrees inlet but the 1.6 pump is just a straight inlet. I haven't tried again to take it off but it looks like it is impossible without taking the bottle off.

clio dci , ren8
The pump with the 90degree inlet is the headlight washer pump the other is just like all other clios so you don't take the bottle off

Beaten up 182
I had the wiper mech and washer bottle out recently to clear the drains (which were clear!) and washed out the bottle. Using a puller like one of these made taking the wiper arms off easy. Thought I'd mention for anyone planning on doing this.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Mines doing the spitting thing and now the rear is hardly working at all although it did yesterday, got the f**king mot on sat and until thent I'm on 12 hour nights upto the mot! What a pita :(.

Anyway I'm gunna try some denture tablet things as have seen they can help, even if it gets them working enough to get through mot and then I'll get it done when I have the time. That's even if its gunk thats causing it, if the pumps had it I'll have to cancel stupid mot.

It should only be the 1 pump on my car I'm guessing? Its a 182 cup so no headlight washers.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Ah cheers mate didn't know that lol.

The denture tablets seems to have fixed it anyway, spits fot a second then works properly so think theres a slight blockage somewhere and its mostly cleared now, saves any hassle hopefully as its in tomorrow morning :).

Ah cheers mate didn't know that lol.

The denture tablets seems to have fixed it anyway, spits fot a second then works properly so think theres a slight blockage somewhere and its mostly cleared now, saves any hassle hopefully as its in tomorrow morning :).

Did you just drop the denture tabs in the bottle? Anything thing else I should do etc, mines not working but I can still hear a pump so want to try this before replacing pumps etc.