ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Winter changing radiator fluid?

Clio Expression 1.2 16V
Okay this is my first car I have heard you need to change some fluid to antifreeze to stop it freezing in the cold. It is getting very cold so am wondering do I need to do this and what lol

My dad has a car but it is garaged so he doesnt bother... or should he?

You should have "antifreez" in your car all year long, it also contains inhibiters which stop the engines internals from rusting.

BMW M135i
It will have renault type D coolant in it as long as its never been changed previously, so you should be fine.

Clio Expression 1.2 16V
Okay I bought the car second hand its a Y reg so theres a good chance it has been changed.

To be on the safe side, what should I be buying and how do I change the fluids over? mk2 ph2 1.2 expression lol

BMW M135i
Best to use the renault type D coolant, is specced for the car and comes premixed afaik. I'd doubt its been changed tbh, and anyway if it has you should be fine I doubt its not got antifreeze in there.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
The main thing you need to know is that you shouldn't put water into the coolant system. As aboove, use coolant (it is sometimes called summer coolant or other odd names). You can buy type D coolant from German, Swedish, French (GSF) outlets - look in yellow pages and buy about 5 litres. Do a search on here, someone must have posted something showing you how to change the coolant. If not then just let your car cool down, then take the bottom hose off the radiator and drain the coolant into something (not the drain!). Unscrew the top off the expansion bottle and let the rest of it drain out. Refit the hose on the radiator after the coolant stops coming out. Refill the system with fresh coolant through the expansion bottle. There should be something on your car's cooling system to bleed the air. On mine though, you just had to run the engine until the fan had cut in several times and then top it up (via the expansion bottle after the car had cooled down).

It isn't difficult, but don't buy the wrong type of coolant. If you have to, go to Renault parts department and get the right stuff.

Good luck, Rob669

Nissan Pulsar GTiR
Just to add to the above, the 'coolant' isn't just there for it's anti freeze properties, it's also there to stop the car overheating in the summer months.
It will also lubricate the bearings in your water pump.

You can get the coolent checked renault dealers or a good garage will do the check for free and tell you how effective it is.

Should be changed ever 4 years IMO regardless. Often its never chnaged.