ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wireless PCI card not working

Im currently trying to put wireless internet into my house.
I have the router all going no problems, my next step was to install the PCI network card into my PC

I read the instructions which told me to install the software first then the hardware which I did.

When I turned my compuer on it ran very very slow and tryed to set the new card up. I left it for 10 mins and the mouse was still very jerky on the screen and the computer did not seem to be doing anything. I took out new card and the computer ran as normal??

I thought it may be a conflict somewhere, so I formatted my HD and started afresh. However the problem re-occured and I noticed the card was getting very hot. When I took the card out it was fine.

The card its a netgear wireless 54mps (?) I got it from ebuyer, the packaging it came in looked a bit damaged but the card looked ok.

I think the card is at fault as it should not get hot.

My computer is a P4 2800 with 512meg ram and a asus (sp) mother board.

Im sure my compuer can cope as it quite fast.

Any ideas on what could be going wrong?

Scott

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
have you tried running it in a different PCI slot? sounds obvious, but you never know? my wirless PCI card is really flaky and often you need to frig about with it for the first time.

best get a replacement then take it from there, shouldnt interfere at all speedwise.

is the card and the router both netgear?

Yes they are both netgear. The computer knows it has a network card attatched.

I will get a replacement and take it from there.

Thanks

Scott