ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 stalling when crancked over and when cluched dipped

Clio 182 FF
Hello all,

So Yet again another clio stalling post... I feel like I've read them all, but can't seem to pin point my problem, so any help would be very much appriciated.

Here goes,
A few weeks back my car stalled whilst slowing down for a junction, I thought nothing of it as the engine was still cold and no warning lights came on. So i started her back up and she ran fine.
However i did change the sparks just for peace of mind.

I have recently been on holiday where she ran fine and I clocked over 2.5k miles, but as i returned to paris the next day, she stalled in the morning again. I took her to the garage that day and a fault for the throttle body came up, so they cleaned it and it didnt make a bit of difference, so a new TB has been installed and codes wipped, this seemed to cure it for 2 days... back into the garage she went and after having all the errorrs cleared again and cleaning the TB sensor and accelerator position sensor this seemed to cure the stalling for 2 weeks, untill monday morning, as I crancked her over she stalled straight away and then stalled many times whilst slowing down at a junctions and the electronical warning light came on every time, this also lead to the car bunny hopping under acceleration.

So last night I sprayed the acceleration pedal sensor with cleaner and whilst doing this I noticed that the cooling fan was on... and the same this this morninng, the fan was on when I started her.
Could this be the reason why the car is stalling, because the ECU thinks the engine is hot and underfueling ?
For the record she stalls alot more in the morning when its 15 ° than the evening when its 25 / 30 °

I can think of lots of other reasons why she would behave like this and run like a dog but the temp sensor seemed obvious and logic ?
Thank you for any answers or advice.
Kind regards

Hello all,

So Yet again another clio stalling post... I feel like I've read them all, but can't seem to pin point my problem, so any help would be very much appriciated.

Here goes,
A few weeks back my car stalled whilst slowing down for a junction, I thought nothing of it as the engine was still cold and no warning lights came on. So i started her back up and she ran fine.
However i did change the sparks just for peace of mind.

I have recently been on holiday where she ran fine and I clocked over 2.5k miles, but as i returned to paris the next day, she stalled in the morning again. I took her to the garage that day and a fault for the throttle body came up, so they cleaned it and it didnt make a bit of difference, so a new TB has been installed and codes wipped, this seemed to cure it for 2 days... back into the garage she went and after having all the errorrs cleared again and cleaning the TB sensor and accelerator position sensor this seemed to cure the stalling for 2 weeks, untill monday morning, as I crancked her over she stalled straight away and then stalled many times whilst slowing down at a junctions and the electronical warning light came on every time, this also lead to the car bunny hopping under acceleration.

So last night I sprayed the acceleration pedal sensor with cleaner and whilst doing this I noticed that the cooling fan was on... and the same this this morninng, the fan was on when I started her.
Could this be the reason why the car is stalling, because the ECU thinks the engine is hot and underfueling ?
For the record she stalls alot more in the morning when its 15 ° than the evening when its 25 / 30 °

I can think of lots of other reasons why she would behave like this and run like a dog but the temp sensor seemed obvious and logic ?
Thank you for any answers or advice.
Kind regards
That needs a new coolant temperature sensor best going to Renault wouldn't trust a unbranded eBay one

Clio 182 FF
Thank you for the reply, I have taken the car back to the garage tonight and I told them that the problem has back, they said it sounds like a temp sensor and will check it and also the throttle body sensor,

Should I ask them to the other sensors as well ? :
Map
TDC
Crank
And maybe spray the relays along with the big white connector ?

Thanks for the reply flebay

Thank you for the reply, I have taken the car back to the garage tonight and I told them that the problem has back, they said it sounds like a temp sensor and will check it and also the throttle body sensor,

Should I ask them to the other sensors as well ? :
Map
TDC
Crank
And maybe spray the relays along with the big white connector ?

Thanks for the reply flebay
I would just do the cts to save cash + if you do all that you will never know what the problem was.

Clio 182 FF
That is very true, I'll do the cts and see if it fixes it.

Could be the cure for some of the problems people have been having.

I will keep you posted !

Thanks for the advice buddy

Clio 182 FF
Good news,
I got the car back last night, and she seems to work fine, no problems last night or this morning.
The TB sensor, and accelerator position sensor were cleaned but didnt seem to make a difference, so te car was completly re-programmed.
this seemed to do the job. But they also checked the whole engine for any damaged wires (there was none) and also cleaned the contacts and relays (including the BIG WHITE CONNECTOR).

I will keep everyone posted no how she runs over the weekend.

Clio 182 FF
Update :

Car has been running fine for the last month, but I have had a few starting probs in the monring during the 1st week (wouldnt start first try, but would on the 2nd)
Have got a New TDC sensor + loom from Renault and has been running fine since, I have done 5k+ miles in heavy traffic, + motorway miles. and there are no further problems to Report.

If you have had the same probs as me :

Take your car to Renault and Get a diagnostic (dont through your cash at your pride and joy)
Clean your TB
Wipe the error codes
(reset the TB after)
if this doesnt work, :
Clean your sensors (dont buy new ones... yet)
Clean the big White connector and relays (water can get in the fuses under the bonnet)
once again (wipe all error codes and get the car re-programmed)

Since the car has been repaired, I have also noticed she has alot more 'get up and go', also better MPG av. 38mpg around town and 45+ on the motorway 65 - 70mph

I hope this helps all with the same probs as me.