ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wiring Sub/Amp to radio without correct radio connections?

'99 Megane Coupe
Hey guys, I have an LG radio which does not have the red and white connection on the back to plug the sub into, i was wondering if I can hotwire the sub into one of the iso leads instead e.g the rear left and right speaker cables ?

Thanks.

182 BG
You can if your amp has 'hot' inputs, which is very uncommon! Basically, the red and white connections (properly called phono) carry signals, wheres the cables coming out the ISO leads that feed directly to your speakers power your speakers.. If you connect to them, I'd be willing to bet your amp wouldn't last very long!

The best way around it is to replace your head unit with one that does support phono out, if your going down the route of getting a sub and making your system sound nice, you might as well do it properly! However I do believe there are adaptors that convert the powered feed to the speakers to signal levels... Not sure how good they are mind.. Having never used one.. Someone else might pop up that has...

These are what I described.. http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/accessories-line-output-converters/

You can get converters, like the ones mctw linked.

I had one from halfords, was £7.99.

Basically connect four speaker (two pairs of +/-) wires, and then earth it, and converts this to two phono connectors, which you can plug your amp in with.
I used one on my OEM Renault headunit, with my front component speakers amped off it. Worked perfectly for me.

clio 172
same mate had standard unit with a sub and door speakers all i need dont do bang bang bang but i do like a nice bass line ahahahha