ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Worst clio to wear an RS badge?

I have to say the early 197 I drove felt pretty slow in a straight line, but the grip and poise were sensational. Not exactly a pointless car lol

I suppose really it has to be the MkII 172 as mentioned by Christopher. Technically the slowest of them all, and the softest chassis, rolling about in corners.

All the other Renaultsport Clios were at least as (or more) driver focussed in one area or another, or at least had the options available to make them so.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Disagree with the early 197 comments. I drove what must of been 1 of the first out and it had 40k miles on and was the fastest 197 I've drove. Must of been 1 of the good examples. In albi the early ones look pretty cool IMO.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
+1 Kev

Me and my old man took a 197 for an all day test drive back in 2006 and it felt pretty urgent!

I liked the standard noise it made if im honest! Cant really comment on the mpg as it was only a day but i liked it!

RB 182 cup,astra sri
For all those who claim that cups, whether they be 182 197 or 200 are pointless becuase they dont have all the luxuries, when were hot hatches ever about luxuries and climate control etc etc! Seriously! These cars dont have all the fancy extras but so what. that somehow makes the pointless? I have yet to hear a good argument for why these cars are pointless. a 182 cup is the same car as the 182 with cups packs. If it doesnt have all the fancy extras why is it pointless?? The same goes for the 197 and 200s. This forum used to be good but it really annoys me now that its full of these folk that really dont know what they are talking about. they seem to think that their cars are so much better cos they have climate control etc etc. its a f*cking clio! Its still the same car whether its a cup or not.

Is this argument going to keep coming up every week. They should just make this a sticky under the banner POINTLESS. Not the cars by the way but the argument!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Haha yeah I remember when 172cups wernt cool on here and had peasant interior, now your a god of rawness if you own 1. Lol

I think the point is that you are losing what some people would consider pretty important kit for a negligable, if any, increase in performance in the models mentioned.

RB 182 cup,astra sri
On the basis of everyone elses silly argument that the cup is pointless and the worst clio to wear the RS badge. I would like to vote for the FF 182 with cup packs. My reason for this is that it is the same car as the 182 cup but more expensive. Why pay extra for the same car? to get a few extra things that you dont need, probably wont use or that dont work particularly well anyway.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
For all those who claim that cups, whether they be 182 197 or 200 are pointless becuase they dont have all the luxuries, when were hot hatches ever about luxuries and climate control etc etc! Seriously! These cars dont have all the fancy extras but so what. that somehow makes the pointless? I have yet to hear a good argument for why these cars are pointless. a 182 cup is the same car as the 182 with cups packs. If it doesnt have all the fancy extras why is it pointless?? The same goes for the 197 and 200s. This forum used to be good but it really annoys me now that its full of these folk that really dont know what they are talking about. they seem to think that their cars are so much better cos they have climate control etc etc. its a f*cking clio! Its still the same car whether its a cup or not.

Is this argument going to keep coming up every week. They should just make this a sticky under the banner POINTLESS. Not the cars by the way but the argument!

If your going to make a lightweight edition of an already good hot-hatch then make it properly light.

The R26R Megane as i said in previous threads, thats how its done, stripping 123kg's from an already rapid hatch is the way to do it, thats enough to make a novice driver look not bad around a track.

Stripping 20kg's is going to make piss all difference with the right wheel man, this is why people slate it, its just not enough to wear the "cup" armband in my opinion, the 172 Cup was focused, the 182 Cup just looks a little pony in comparisson

MKV GTI

^^^ Fully agree with this. If i had to pick it would be between the MK2 172 or any of the new Gordini range, having said that i wouldnt say any of the RS range is 'pointless' they all appeal to different market sectors and what one person percieves as being pointless another sees it as making complete sense, different people have different opinions.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS

^^^ Fully agree with this. If i had to pick it would be between the MK2 172 or any of the new Gordini range, having said that i wouldnt say any of the RS range is 'pointless' they all appeal to different market sectors and what one person percieves as being pointless another sees it as making complete sense, different people have different opinions.

Yeah you two have both missed the point entirely. People are saying they are pointless because you lose most of the luxuries but are not gaining any extra performance as the weight saving is minimal. You might as well have a Full Fat and just go for a massive dump before driving. If there was a significant weight difference between the Cup models and the regular models then they would be fine. But why would I want go give up a bit 'leather', xenons and electric gizmos and gain nothing for it?

RB 182 cup,astra sri
Yeah you two have both missed the point entirely. People are saying they are pointless because you lose most of the luxuries but are not gaining any extra performance as the weight saving is minimal. You might as well have a Full Fat and just go for a massive dump before driving. If there was a significant weight difference between the Cup models and the regular models then they would be fine. But why would I want go give up a bit 'leather', xenons and electric gizmos and gain nothing for it?

You would gain extra cash in your pocket but still have essentially the same car.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
But people are missing renaults point with the 182cup. With the 172cup even though it sold really well is they got slated for leaving out abs and air con in a modern hatch so Renault still wanting to sell the cup brand added them in the 182cup. So it came as a result of you FF bummers that the 182cup is the way it is. FACT.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Worst looking clio would be gordini

Worst handling clio ph1 172/ph2 172/ 182 non cup packed suspension

Worst for performance......this is strictly on the gear ratio's......197.....followed by ph1 172's 5th gear

MKV GTI
Around £1300 cheaper new, lot of money to save on a clio.

I genuinly dont understand why the 182 cup gets so much stick, what about the 197 cup and 200 cup both use the same formula as the 182 cup yet everyone seems to overlook this as said earlier on in the thread it is simply a cheaper way to get an RS and that is it.

They all loose luxuries for a negliable weight loss therefore all of these models should be described as pointless not just the 182 cup. i personally think its more pointless to buy a non cup packed 182 as they have less driver involvment for more luxuries which completetly goes against the grain of what a hot hatch should be.

I'd rather have non-cup packed 182 than a Cup.

People are always going to try and defend what they own, but nobody else is sticking up for it for a reason.

How much lighter is the 172 cup over a standard 172? some googled threads are saying 90kg, which seems quite a good saving to me.

Does the cup really have thinner glass??? ive heard this mentioned before and i think it must be BS.

Last edited:
  clio 182
you can say what is worst, what is best etc but if you look at any off them they have all been produced for a reason whether it be for the driving pleasure or marketing.

all the posts here though are opinions and it does amuse me how worked up people get by an opinion, its a car forum ffs

also, people are missing the point of the 182 ff with cup packs.....do you not no you can buy one, strip it out as a "track car" and sell all the goodies on to people in 1.2's or poverty specced cups!? Renualt knew what they were doing......:rasp:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
People are always going to try and defend what they own, but nobody else is sticking up for it for a reason.

I think that's the bandwagon factor. No one can explain why the 182cup is pointless, but they don't say the same about the 200cup??

They aren't even thinking about it tbh, just repeating like a parrot!

Megane 225 F1
I think that's the bandwagon factor. No one can explain why the 182cup is pointless, but they don't say the same about the 200cup??

They aren't even thinking about it tbh, just repeating like a parrot!

I think it's what you get for your money.

I don't know what they are all worth but for a few 100 quid or less extra you can get a 182 with cup packs where as to get a 200 with everything is considerably more than the cup.

V6 255
Were 182 cups only a couple of hundred less new? Not too sure on that one.

As for worst? All subjective. I'd say anything that's not FF with the cup chassis as you get the best of everything with that combo, that's not saying the others are 'bad' cars though, just my preference

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
You would gain extra cash in your pocket but still have essentially the same car.

Minimal price difference when new. I could get a FF for the same price as a Cup, for example. And I wasn't the only one.

Used? No difference. No saving. None.

Ergo; pointless.

The 172 Cup is different, since it was actually lighter and more hardcore. The 182 Cup just lost some equipment.