ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Worst clio to wear an RS badge?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I've had a 182 with cup-packs, a 172 cup and 2 x Trophys.

To be brutely honest, they'll all roughly the same - its all down to what budget you have & what bargain becomes available.

I wouldnt say no to any of them, they're all the same with a bit of tinkering, which lets be honest, 99% of people do anyway.

Clio 172 cup
I would just like to point out one fact

7 years ago a brand new 172ff cost £2.5k more than a 172 cup due to the extra toys etc

today in the current second hand car Market a 172 cup is worth more than the 172 FF

Wonder if the same will happen for the 182, 197 and 200?????

Turbo LY R27
200 gordini without a doubt. And V6's, most of them just stay polished un used and stay in plane hangers.

Stripped yozza'd cup
How much lighter is the 172 cup over a standard 172? some googled threads are saying 90kg, which seems quite a good saving to me.

Does the cup really have thinner glass??? ive heard this mentioned before and i think it must be BS.

The weight seems to be different everywhere.... I read the other day (cant remember where, magazine websitre i think) that the 172 cup is 985kg... I'm pretty sure it's not that light. The most comment figure i've seen is 85 kg's weight saving over the FF.

And I'm not sure that Renault could just lie about it having thinner glass? It seems pretty much accepted as fact.

Clio RS 182
Funny as fuk reading what people have posted in this thread, Everyone sticks up for what they own or have owned. ITS ALL BIASED COMMENTS!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Yeah you two have both missed the point entirely. People are saying they are pointless because you lose most of the luxuries but are not gaining any extra performance as the weight saving is minimal. You might as well have a Full Fat and just go for a massive dump before driving. If there was a significant weight difference between the Cup models and the regular models then they would be fine. But why would I want go give up a bit 'leather', xenons and electric gizmos and gain nothing for it?

You gained a fair wedge of cash in your pocket.

Honestly, morons.

VaVa
182 Cup. I don't know if it's because of how let down I was when they released it. It had the potential to be better than the 172 Cup, yet what we got was a cheap 182. Doesn't make it pointless - As already pointed out the 182 Cup (and subsequent Cup models, it has to be said) made it easier (cheaper!) for more people to get into RS ownership. It's just the 172 Cup set the bar pretty high and the 182 Cup didn't even get close.

And lets face it...... whichever RS Clio you think is the worst..... they're all cracking little cars.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
TBF the ONLY one I think is pointless is the Gordini, all you are paying an extra couple of grand for is some blue paint, stripes and a badge. That is pointless.

Stripped yozza'd cup
today in the current second hand car Market a 172 cup is worth more than the 172 FF

Wonder if the same will happen for the 182, 197 and 200?????

I wouldn't imagine so.... As said, the 172 cup actually has some performance advantages over the FF, whereas the newer 'cup attempts' don't. The only real reason I can see for buying a 182, 197, 200 cup is the $$$ saving, which realistically, if you're buying a brand new car, is less than you would make back by selling the gadgets if you did decide that weight saving was the way to go.

Clio RS 182
What doesn't make sense is how frikin heavy the standard exhausts are, they could of saved a few KG's by putting a decent one on!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I wouldn't imagine so.... As said, the 172 cup actually has some performance advantages over the FF, whereas the newer 'cup attempts' don't. The only real reason I can see for buying a 182, 197, 200 cup is the $$$ saving, which realistically, if you're buying a brand new car, is less than you would make back by selling the gadgets if you did decide that weight saving was the way to go.

Exactly. It was a cheap 182. You actually lose more in the 200cup. Ac (which I wouldn't be without), cheaper dash, no reach adjustment for the wheel (massive fail imo), unpainted trim, cc. For a tiny weight saving.

Neither are pointless. Both are a cheaper way into an rs. Neither is about being a lightweight. Not in the slightest.

172 Cup was good, Renault realise people like the more 'focused' car but then just decide to bolt the 'Cup' name to every model to get more sales.

And for the billionth time. There is no such thing as a 172 FF!! :rolleyes:

V6 255
TBF the ONLY one I think is pointless is the Gordini, all you are paying an extra couple of grand for is some blue paint, stripes and a badge. That is pointless.

And leather all round. To be fair to the Gordini, it costs the same as speccing up a 200FF to that standard, but it's already done for you. So if it's your taste then that's fine.

People say the Gordini is pointless because it's not what we wanted from the Gordini name. Most people wanted a go faster car to go with go faster stripes, that was the disappointment, not the car

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Purely off looks, the 200 gordini imo. That said, the handling of the 200s and the 6spd box are pretty peachy.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I think the gordini problem is the utterly pish looks. Wrong colour, horrific wheels, horrific detailing.

Although saying all that, I'd have a White gordini with speedlines just for the spec.

1.8 Civic EX
this is such a random subject tbh and there will never be a unanimous decision as it's all entirely down to personal opinion etc.

I love the scarab green on the exclusives and dare I say it, I even quite like the standard wheels!

For me being a ph2 172 owner it would be the whole 182 range. Simply because if I wanted to "upgrade" I wouldn't bother with a 182 as it's just not enough of a difference from what I already own.

Listerine & Poledo
Funny as fuk reading what people have posted in this thread, Everyone sticks up for what they own or have owned. ITS ALL BIASED COMMENTS!

The CS way.

At least it keeps everyone off of the radio, or Watchdog, or anywhere else where ill-informed comments are opened with open-arms

RS Clio Trophy
Exactly. So if the 182cup was pointless, the 197cup and the 200cup are! Only difference being they actually look worse with the unpainted bits! And you got the cup spoiler/splitter thrown in with the 182cup, you get fack all with the mk3 cup's! You west country bumpkin!

I'd sling the Trophy in as pointless. Doesn't have the everlasting dampers of a standard 182. w**k.
Id agree and say the Trophy is pointless because the dampers have to be re-furbed every 5000 miles;)

260% JCW
In all honestly at the time of each RS Clio release they were up there with the best of them, as time goes on the goal post's move. The next RS Clio will no doubt overshadow the 200. If it was'nt for each model Renault would'nt have learned and made things better. Evolution i think's it called lol.

I like them all.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
182 Cup for me-

Especially in inferno.....

Least desirable pisch car- along a par with Artic blue 182 or Albi blue 197/200......

Ghedini almost hits it- but you can remove the stickers & spec different wheels to make it look almost normal...
S

BMW E34 540i
I'd rather have non-cup packed 182 than a Cup.

People are always going to try and defend what they own, but nobody else is sticking up for it for a reason.

True True :D

Since there will be only 500 Goridnis they will always be the ugliest as there is nobody to fight for them.

Frankly I do not give a **** that it is the one that as some people say should not have RS badge. Looks great for me, it has lots of stuff which is useful in everyday life like air-con.

So far no one was brave enough to say it in my face on the meet - DUDE you have a ugly car :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
For me its a phase 2 172 (especially in silver, soooooooooo non descript, and the most soft/least focused. That, and an un cupped 182. These are the least interesting for me!

I'd take an Inferno 182 Cup, no problem, has the chassis and AC.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Right, i'm going to try and defend my decision of the 182 Cup being the worst car to wear the RS badge. Mainly because i'm not drunk today.

Available in one good colour and one crap colour. The seats! They just fitted dynamique seats! At least use a different pattern. (as per the 172 cup!) The Aircon. Whats the point in deleting the Climate control from a normal 182 and then fitting an Aircon button instead?! Its a pointless exercise. It makes it no cheaper to run or indeed fit a cambelt. Then theres the whole marketing thing. Why not just offer a 182 or a 182 Cup? Whats the point in a 182 but with cup packs? Thats just admitting that the normal 182 wasn't quite good enough as standard and you should spec £250 worth of spoilers and £400 (iirc?) worth of suspension when you order the car because the standard car is just a bit stoo hit. (I appreciate its not, but thats what it says to me.)

As for Roy and Brown dick criticising me for choosing a 182 cup as being the worst clio to wear an RS badge, I am basing it on my experiences. I haven't driven or indeed even sat in a normal 200 Clio therefore cannot compare it to my Cup. I would hate to offer an opinion based on nothing other than internet hearsay as I appreciate that is punishable by internet death here on the beloved Cliosport.net.

So there are MY opinions. Some may not agree, but frankly my dear I don't give a dam because i'm off out to get drunk again in a minute.

Iceberg 172
Hey guys, calm! They're all good!

Although I'd probably say the ph2 172 is the worse.

I own one! But lets look at them all.

The ph1 is a raw cable throttled tin can = Cool
The ph2 is a soft, ugly (without mods) and not as light = Not cool
The 182 FF is good looking out of the box = cool.

That's my summary as I'm tired.

BUT... Add Iceberg paint, coilover, turini's and a splitter and the ph2 172 is the best! END.

260% JCW
197 is the biggest let down out of all the Clio's, Couldnt say going from a 1*2 to a 197 is an upgrade. More of a side step.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Christ, all this chat and we're all wrong. All of us. I give you the single biggest failure in the RS clio family. The dirty crack head runt of the litter. The one no-one likes to acknowledge.
inferno_clio_182_cup_021.jpg

2175076-9.jpg

182cup & 172 racecar
Right, i'm going to try and defend my decision of the 182 Cup being the worst car to wear the RS badge. Mainly because i'm not drunk today.

Available in one good colour and one crap colour. The seats! They just fitted dynamique seats! At least use a different pattern. (as per the 172 cup!) The Aircon. Whats the point in deleting the Climate control from a normal 182 and then fitting an Aircon button instead?! Its a pointless exercise. It makes it no cheaper to run or indeed fit a cambelt. Then theres the whole marketing thing. Why not just offer a 182 or a 182 Cup? Whats the point in a 182 but with cup packs? Thats just admitting that the normal 182 wasn't quite good enough as standard and you should spec £250 worth of spoilers and £400 (iirc?) worth of suspension when you order the car because the standard car is just a bit stoo hit. (I appreciate its not, but thats what it says to me.)

As for Roy and Brown dick criticising me for choosing a 182 cup as being the worst clio to wear an RS badge, I am basing it on my experiences. I haven't driven or indeed even sat in a normal 200 Clio therefore cannot compare it to my Cup. I would hate to offer an opinion based on nothing other than internet hearsay as I appreciate that is punishable by internet death here on the beloved Cliosport.net.

So there are MY opinions. Some may not agree, but frankly my dear I don't give a dam because i'm off out to get drunk again in a minute.

Thumb Head,button it.