ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would I like the Clio 182?

Clio 1.2 16v
Hi, I have been a clio 1.2 16v owner for 4 years now (this is my first car) and have been interested in going faster!.. I have been getting quotes and realised it would be pretty realistic for me to upgrade to a 2.0 clio 182.

I really liked my clio 1.2, but the only complaint I really had was the lack of low end power, it really didn't pull until I got past 4k rpm. I am looking for a car that feels more responsive and pulls more at the low revs than my previous car (I don't want to have to go all out with the revs every time I want to feel I am in a quick car). I have read a lot of people online say the clio sport feels quite sluggish <5k rpm.

So my main question is, would I really notice a lot of difference being in a 182 over my current 1.2 16v if I am shifting at around 3k rpm?

I don't know all that much about engines but I love the feeling of a quick car when i put my foot down. so sorry if this seems like a stupid question!

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
The clio is far from sluggish <5k rpm, however the engine really comes alive above it.

To your main question. Yes. It will have more torque, and climb the rev range quicker

182 FF
I always think they are quite torquey low down the revs compared to say a honda type r, which are far too peaky for my liking. Plus I'm getting about 150 miles to £20 of fuel which will prob be better than your 1.2!

172 Cup
I think various things can give them flat spots lower down (lambda sensors and stuff?) but one that's running right is gonna be quick from idle to redline. learn to enjoy the high rpms though, don't be afraid to go all the way when the car is warmed up.

BG 182
The 1.2 is a shopping car, the 182 is a hot shopping car ;) firm-ish compared to a supple 1.2, you can actually feel where you are steering in a 182, all of the above and mammoth anchors (they stop pretty well)

From someone who did just this when buying a 182 : don't disregard s**te tires when it comes to negotiating a price, it will get to a week or so and it will do your head in. They might be nearly new but you wont care, costing you 500+ to replace the hedgefinders with decent rubber.

Last edited:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Funny. Mine uses no oil and mpg is about the same, although I tend to drive it harder due to the fact it's not going to break. Next....

clio 182 sport
Funny. Mine uses no oil and mpg is about the same, although I tend to drive it harder due to the fact it's not going to break. Next....

ooshhhhh, the only only reason i chose the clio insted or a ctr was because there were loads of EP3's around at the time now everyone has a clio aswell. but there are very similar in performance.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Mine's quicker than the last two clio's ive had, not just saying that as its my current car. Ive driven a couple of type r's and for some reason mines feels better :)

Ph1
When ever my mates give it some 'VTEC yo' i always feel embarrassed like i should be congratulating them on how awesome VTEC is but in reality its just a change of noise. That said they are quicker tho but only by a fag papers width

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Both cars are great. I'd probably have another Clio but if I was to change mine it would have to be old skool like a 205 or something. Prob not that much quicker just more fun

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Totally different cars, test drive one and you'll soon find out.

RB 182 195bhp
It will feel worlds apart and miles faster in any circumstance. It's got almost twice the capacity and more than double the power and torque of a 1.2