ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would you declare trophy wheels on a 182?

Racing Blue 182
Im not asking what its right and what isnt as i am aware because they are not standard, they would need to be declared.

What i am asking is....

If you were changing your 182 wheels to trohphy ones, would YOU tell your insurance?

Mondeo STTDCI
I probably wouldnt bother. There are so many variants and at the end of the day they are Renault alloys. Loss adjustor wouldnt know the difference. They are same size, same offset and dont really affect characteristics of the car.

Maz

LY 200
I would yes, not worth not doing so imho :) probably cost no more than £50 to add them depending on your insurance company

BMW M135i
I've got this conundrum at the moment is i've changed my wheels from the Mk2 Dynamique alloys to the Mk3 Dynamqiue alloys. Only very subtle differences between the two and most people don't notice.

Hmm.

Vectra :(
IMO if you can see it, insure it. Not worth getting caught out. Certain things a would say you didnt have to. Panel filters for example can be classed as longlife filters so are not looked at the same as IKs. Internal engine work is VERY hard to pick up on if you have an accident and also a remap would be difficult to see. But springs, wheels, bodykits, tints, backbox etc etc i would definately declare.

Racing Blue 182
suspension and viper are declared, therefore i have shown that i know a need to insure mods, and could get away with saying there renault wheels, thats how i got it.

Hmm

did you declare yours dave>?

I'd declare, insurance men aren't stupid anything to get them off paying out, even if the wheels are a different colour.

Da

Less
exactly...is it worth the risk? Mine are Renault alloys and it cost me a fair bit when I first added them but I would be up s**t creek if they voided my policy in the event of a claim. Not worth it IMHO.

Megane225FF
I declared my turini's & the insurance company (Bell Direct) didn't increase the premium as they said they are classed as Renault alloys :S
:D

Racing Blue 182
well im with admiral, what did you tell them?

Might send them an email saying....

I have changed my wheels for some different ones, they are renault clio 182 trophy ones in the same colour and the same size with the same tyres

...they might then say its fine :)

BMW M135i
I'll give NU a bell tomorrow and see what they say, am hoping it won't be too expensive as there still Renault alloys. But we will see I guess.

Ad

MK2 FRS
I wouldnt personally theyre a renault part. and dont change the characteristic.

definitely wouldnt decalre diferrent dynamique wheels.

106 GTi
As others have said declare it, as they a Renault part and the same size as the standard wheels they may not charge extra.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Don't you work for UKI Jamie? Surely there is someone there who you could call upon, off the record of course.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
I would do it.

Q. Did this car leave the factory with them?
A. No - then declare it.

Thats always been my ethos. When my Cup was written off they have pics of how they looked standard. They therefore knew the bits I'd swapped. Insurance companies aren't as stupid as people make out.

Renaultclio mk3
personally dont see the point: changed from 14" steelies to 17" polished stainless steel wheels, insurance dont know about them, been stopped by traffic police plenty of times never been asked once about why the wheels havent been declared. worst comes to worst change them if i smash it:

BMW M135i
Well I rang up NU today to declare my Ph3 dynamique alloys, there down as aftermarket/non-manufacturer alloys and apparently even though their Renault alloys they need to be declared because they weren't factory fitted.

On the plus side though colour coding doesn't need to be declared apparently, bonus :D.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
kennyclio54 said:
personally dont see the point: changed from 14" steelies to 17" polished stainless steel wheels, insurance dont know about them, been stopped by traffic police plenty of times never been asked once about why the wheels havent been declared. worst comes to worst change them if i smash it:

In a world of mistakes, after thoughts and stupid things to do... the above sentance (highlighted) is somehting I would personally #1) Think about again, #2) Not be quite so niave and #3) Engage your f**king brain.

Have you ever been in accident where your car was written off? Impounded? Assessed whilst you were recovering from near death in hospital? No?

Perhaps you are overdue a visit to the A&E at your local hospital... tempting fate, keep chancing it - you will get caught out and when you do the Police, your Insurance Company and the person who you hit/were involved in an accident with will be asking lots of questions.

Don't be a moron.

Renaultclio mk3
you seriously trying to tell me that every single car that has aftermarket parts on it is declared?? hmm sum how i dont think so and excuse me how do you know if i have been in a incident when a car is written off?

Trophy No. 440
Insurance companies will use any excuse that they can find to avoid paying out after a smash. Why play into their hands?

Also, if you do have a smash and make a claim and they refuse to pay out because you had not declared the wheels, they will say that your insurance was invalid.

Mr Plod then nicks you for driving without insurance!

They probably wouldn't increase your premium for changing 182 wheels to Trophy wheels anyway, so why not declare?

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
kennyclio54 said:
you seriously trying to tell me that every single car that has aftermarket parts on it is declared?? hmm sum how i dont think so and excuse me how do you know if i have been in a incident when a car is written off?

I don't know if you've ever been in an accident when a car is written off... thats why I asked you.

:rolleyes:

I also didn't say every single car has them declared... read what I put.

:rolleyes:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
bmh.01 said:
I've got this conundrum at the moment is i've changed my wheels from the Mk2 Dynamique alloys to the Mk3 Dynamqiue alloys. Only very subtle differences between the two and most people don't notice.

Hmm.

but MK3 dynamique alloys are 16" and a totaly different design?