ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Write off? Thoughts plz

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
Hi all

I will post pics later, but on my way home I went into the back of someone.

my fault, will be calling insurance tonight. But had a good look at it last night.

radiator and ac radiator are bent, need new bumper, grill, bonnet twisted a little, bracket broke on the xenon lights and the crash bar is bent.

It's a 53 plate 172, in black with 92k on the clock, I have insured it for a value of 2k.

do you think they would write it off?

thanks phil

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
All you got to do is add up the price's of the part's.

I bet that comes to £1500 ish.

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
image.jpg

Thats the crash bar

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
now I don't know what to do
save writing it off just fix it my self......

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
yeah

was only 20 mph - was in traffic and not racing.

no air bags went off.

tempted just to do it my self.....

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Did you damage the other car? If they are claiming off you for the damage to there car you may as well get yours done too. You're going to end up with a claim against you either way. I'd let insurance handle it personally.

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
Did you damage the other car? If they are claiming off you for the damage to there car you may as well get yours done too. You're going to end up with a claim against you either way. I'd let insurance handle it personally.

that's what I was thinking

but if its going to write the car off - not sure I want to go thought them.

few hundred£££ I can work on it and get it right my self (2nd bits etc)

If they write it off buy it back and fix cheap. Use the rest of the money towards your higher insurance premiums. May as well use them since they're claiming anyway.

Flamer
That will be a write off an insurance will likely quote it around 2500 or more like bent broken all has to be replaced with new. Value of the book price is what they will give but never accept first offer as I'm sure you know. Do your homework to what similar age an mileage are going for an don't take anything less IMO

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
Thing that guts me - I found an engine with 32k on the clock and its gone in this. 2 years ago - only done 5k on it

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
Question.

if the other bloke claims on me, do I need to put my car through the claim?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Question.

if the other bloke claims on me, do I need to put my car through the claim?

No. If you let him claim you will pay nothing except a higher premium next year. If you claim, your total loss settlement will be the figure minus your excess.

Oh and you won't have an agreed value at 2k, that's just how much you think it's worth, you will get market value. Unless you have specified to a claims handler that you wish to pay for a guaranteed future value and have it in writing then you don't. What you paid for the car and what it's worth to insurance is entirely different sadly.

Oh I would add that I highly doubt you did that at 20mph. The reason I say that is, in my years of replacing those front beams, they have completely welded and the eqivilent of tank steel, they don't bend easily at all!

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
Spoken to insurance, really good. I can go back anytime for help etc. they have details of the accident and it's down as a no claim.

going to look at bits and go from there.

Going to source parts now and go from there.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Look forward to seeing how you plan on straightening that crossmember.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yup. Comes as 2 pieces. Level rail and heavy beam. I spent hours removing them.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Those front beams are c***s, I had to use a tree to straighten one on a 1.2. Ratchet strapped then reverse hard. Quick fix for a shitty 1.2

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
Those front beams are c**ts, I had to use a tree to straighten one on a 1.2. Ratchet strapped then reverse hard. Quick fix for a s**tty 1.2

Pmsl

i just going to take it off.. Well attempt too......

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
Let them write it off then buy it back and repair it.

but why let them write it off? I have to get to car to be assessed, they write it off, it goes to a salvage yard, then I have to organise a price etc.

I just keep it, contacted insurance and I will repair.

RB 182 Cup
but why let them write it off? I have to get to car to be assessed, they write it off, it goes to a salvage yard, then I have to organise a price etc.

They pay you out the car's value, you buy it back and use the money to repair it. I did this with my old van, never went to a salvage yard they just subtracted the buy back amount and sent a cheque.

Look forward to seeing how you plan on straightening that crossmember.

This.

Years ago on an old mk1 clio i had. I put a chain round it then attached it to the tow bar on my works van, few sharp jolts helped slightly in straightening it flol.

Don't advise doing that though. As Gally has said cut old out and weld in new one.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d

No that's not true. You can keep the car. Work out the salvage value and it stays with you all the time. If you make it clear that's what you want to do then there's no problem. Will be cat C so about 15% of pre accident value at that value. I don't have the book in front of me but it's probably about £1500-1600. I you haven't got paperwork to back up the guaranteed mileage engine replacement then you'd be fighting a lost cause.

I honestly think it's probably more effort than it's worth to repair this though.

Premiums don't always hike as much as people think.

If you wanted to claim for the repairs through the insurance company but do them yourself you will have to ask them for the repairable threshold on the car, likely around 75% with this value.

Should the car be written off you will have to pay your excess and the remainder of your premium (if you pay monthly)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You don't have to let the car go anywhere if you're planning on keeping it.

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
that's what I thought but they said they salvage company will take it away (might just be admiral mind) then costs would have to be sorted etc.

save all the running about I going to get my hands dirty and learn some thing :)

my fault, I broke it I will fix it