ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xenon motor keeps on adjusting

2002 Clio 172
Since I got my 172 about 9 months ago I've noticed a faint electric motor sound whenever I'm sitting with the key in position II. I don't do this very often, so I've ignored it up until now. Today I was filling up the washer fluid and put the keys in to test the headlight washers and finally realised that the sound is coming from the driver-side headlight adjuster. It's passed an MOT, and I've never noticed a problem with the headlight pattern but now I realise the adjuster is constantly adjusting.

There are a lot of threads about the adjusters, but I can't see anything that sounds similar. Is this worth worrying about? Could it be a problem with the level sensor (on the rear axle)? Any easy way to check?

Megane 2 GT 165
constantly as in constantly or constantly as in everytime you turn on the lights?

Clio MkII 172 K reg
The rear level sensor has a small "leg" that mounted to the rear axle with weak clip. Check that everything look mounted there.

Have you checked the level sensor? Easy to check just stcik your head under the car and look for a little grey poki outi bit

B

Brown.

find the right hight.....then disconnect the plug that goes into it...i hated the self adjuster.....stupid design.

Dodgy one
mine just seem to be pointing at the floor, they adjust but you can barely see in front of you when driving along there that low, Could this be the same sensor?

mine just seem to be pointing at the floor, they adjust but you can barely see in front of you when driving along there that low, Could this be the same sensor?

mine are the opposite. quite hgh and i been flashed a couple of times. you can see the headlights "twitching" or adjusting if your parked looking towards a wall / fence.

6/468 17poo
mine keeps adjusting and the lights move up and down slightly?is it an easy fix anyone know how much the adjusters are from the stealers as its annoying me!!

Ryan

Dodgy one
mine keeps adjusting and the lights move up and down slightly?is it an easy fix anyone know how much the adjusters are from the stealers as its annoying me!!

Ryan

Its meant to adjsut automatially to stop you dazzling other drivers :)

Wheres this sensor, sticky out bit located? has anyone got a picture i had a look today and saw nothing

2002 Clio 172
I'll have a look and see if I can find the sensor when I get the chance. When I say it's adjusting constantly, I mean even when the lights aren't on. That's probably why it took me so long to work out where the noise was coming from. Funnily enough I can't see any effect in the headlight beams when they're on.

Like Rich, I've love to see a photo of what the sensor is supposed to look like so I can decide if mine's broken.

Clio MkII 172 K reg
the sensor adjust the height only when the lights are on. You can check it by standing near wall and then turn the lights on. you will see that the beam will come up few degrees. When the lights are off, their position is the lowest that possible.
I saw this thing on Tourag too. When you switch the lights on they do a self check by moving right+left and up+ down and then adjusting according to height. (On tourag the lights have direction turn too).

(Bit of an old bump).
My drivers side Xenon does this too, I will check the sensor tomorrow but wouldnt the passanger side also be adjusting and making a noise at the same time? It also does it while the lights are off.

Nova turbo and Clio 172
(Bit of an old bump).
My drivers side Xenon does this too, I will check the sensor tomorrow but wouldnt the passanger side also be adjusting and making a noise at the same time? It also does it while the lights are off.

Mine does this also, key in the ignition and the headlight starts going bananas, lights off and only the passenger side. I fiddled with the adjuster, everything seems ok. I'll take the headlight apart tomorrow, maybe somethings jamming the motor