ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yellow full spec 197 or racing blue standard

MG ZS180 Mk2
Hi all,

I have been looking at a 197 F1.

I have 2 choices:

1 - Fully spec'd yellow (climate, xenons, elec mirrors and auto lights/wipers)

2 - Near standard spec racing blue (with electric mirrors)

I like both colours and without going into figures (promised not to), I can get a very good deal on the yellow one.

Will the fully spec'd yellow one be more desirable in the future?

The cost of the extras is about £2400 but what difference will this make in 3 years. It has to make some difference.

Clio200 EDC Lux
Get the fully spec'd one, you will miss the xenons if you don't have them and the climate dash finishes off the interior

sw1

Clio 172
Definitely go for the extras if you are from a 172 or 182 or you wll miss them, I have them on my 197 and wouldn't be without it.

However don't expect much on resale, I'm currently selling a fully specced up 197 for 11,949ono 7 months old and keep getting "I can buy a new one for 13.5K however these have absoutely no options".

I like YELLOW but not sure it's worth the extra

MG ZS180 Mk2
What I mean is will the fully spec be worth more than the standard spec?

And any guesses as to how much

sw1

Clio 172
I don't think so to be honest, in 7 months I have dropped around 4k off value I paid for my 197 in Feb.

I paid 15.5K with metallic black, xenons, climate, auto rain + lights, cabasse upgrade, folding mirrors & privacy glass

I reckon 197 residuals are going to be really bad judging by my own expereince thus far, all the imports and cheap low spec cars hitting the car super markets is killing the 2nd mark this early on.

In 3 years it may make a difference when there are a load on the market for around 6 - 7 K

Tangoed Works
Definitely go for the extras if you are from a 172 or 182 or you wll miss them, I have them on my 197 and wouldn't be without it.

However don't expect much on resale, I'm currently selling a fully specced up 197 for 11,949ono 7 months old and keep getting "I can buy a new one for 13.5K however these have absoutely no options".

I like YELLOW but not sure it's worth the extra

£11949, why so cheap, that is a bargain!!

sw1

Clio 172
13K on the clock, all motorway miles , selling to get a diesel. It's in perfect condition plus it has a professionally fitted Alpine IPOD unit with bluetooth.

There is very very low demand though, had a couple of jokers offering me 10K etc

I'm concerned about the lack of demand for the 197 in general, reckon it may be the mpg and tax rates, in a day when diesels are getting more and more sporty.

I reckon this is why thre are crazy deals on the R27 at the moment, you don't see VW discounting the Golf GTi by almost 5K to sell them.

Last edited:
  182Cup, MinesGTR R35
Yellow with F1 stikers etc is the onley one for me! So Sexy, I realy dont like them in eny other colours. I realy dident like them till I saw a yellow one in Bradford and now i want one.

cup 182 mit stripes
The level of banality and mindlessness on this thread numbs the brain. Forget the fripperies. If you must have a 197, stick a turbo on it.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
you also have to consider the 172 when first released was 15.995 or there about wasn't it? thta was back in like 2000/2001? I imagien they didn't get mcuh discount back then just liek the 197 didn't on first release.

present day you could get a brand new 182 for under 12k iirc? Thta is 4k off list also there abouts.

The current prices of 197 don't surpsie me at all. they where always gonig ot go that way regardless of optionsetc.

sw1

Clio 172
yep agreed with your comments there, I thought the 172 started off at 13,995.00 though

Either way GR buy the car with the option's that you want to enjoy and drive and not for the resale value alone as it will be poor as I've highlighted above.

If your a hardcore driver, don't bother with options, if you like creature comforts get options.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i would perosnally go for the yellow as it looks so good. shame it doesn't come in standard spec.

I am not bothered by options tbh but it is your chocie at the end of the day :)

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Racing blue looks sex & you won't be worried about getting it scratched.
Yellow is an arse to match.
You won't miss climate or xenons, i never did.
Just drive it, thats what it was built for.
The extras won't make it worth 2.5K more in a year or so.

Elise 111R
ah but thats not the point... he may not use the 197 for what its designed for, for say less than 10% of its use i.e. on a track or fast A/B roads. So for the average drive (motorway day/night) you need those extras to make it feel you havent comprimised too much going for the car in the first place (if you see what i mean :S)

tbh i think your mad, 2nd hand prices have crashed and arent going anywhere fast i would look at these... but then again dealers are making great offers atm to get you into these.....

clio f1 team R27
yellow by far as i have one, and its full spec and i love it ltd edt car, ltd edt color be worth more in years to come then blue with not much on it.

but blue does look nice too, but at end of da mate only you can decide, go with what your head tell you to do

yellow full of toys gotta have the toys :D
I'm concerned about the lack of demand for the 197 in general, reckon it may be the mpg and tax rates, in a day when diesels are getting more and more sporty.

:D dci's are loads an loads of fun ;)

an if renault do a clio rs dci i will certainly consider getting one

sw1

Clio 172
Not about how much prices have gone up although hopefully nicely ;o)))))), we were offering our opinions on options.

As I previoulsy said if your hardcore and want it for the track don't bother about options, if you like the creature comforts then do as pointed out by other posters, most people will use these as there everyday car so the options help.

I love driving my clio but wouldn't consider myself hardcore, just like to occassionally put my foot down on country lanes occasionally where the car is at it's best.

I'm simply offering advice after the value of mine has severaly droped even with the orginal discount, I do expect this of new cars but there is very little demand in the 2nd hand market even with all the options I have on mine.

Hope you really enjoy your new car, yellow is rare and certainly will stand out, that will be the one people want. The Recaro's in the R27 will also be well sort after.

Post some pics when you get it, I have seen one in Yellow and it's lovely.

Hope your removing the stickers though ;o)))

MG ZS180 Mk2
Changed my mind now - going for the blue one.

LY doesn't look as nice outside as it does in the showroom.

MG ZS180 Mk2
miltage2 - I can't believe you said that. Are you now on your 3rd since selling it?

LY looks to goldie out of the showroom, I didn't think I could live with it.

sw1

Clio 172
I saw Yellow in the show room and it looked nice but I think I would go for Albi blue in the R27, it's look's awesome with the red calipers.

Saying that my Black 197 would like nice with Red Calipers, maybe ne for the next owner to do.

Mountune Tractor
SW1 - Surely your not surprised that you have lost this much on your car?
Firstly, you lose a couple of K when you drive it out of the showroom, then you see 13k mileage in 7 months and an owner desperate to get rid. If I was looking for a 197 I would run a mile from yours. I know that sounds harsh and your car might be in mint condition I don't know, but buying a new car and racking up 13k in 7 months is never going to be good business is it.
gr1340 - go with whatever your gut instinct is mate as a half hearted decision is normally a bad one.

sw1

Clio 172
172boost I'm not surprised I have drop so much however what I'm pointing out is the 2nd hand market for the 197 is bad given massive drops recently in the new prices hence why mine is priced with the mileage.

I'm actually not that desperate to get shot of it, can afford to keep both cars how ever it's not to practical and the misses would moan ;o)) When it goes it goes as simple as that plus the mileage will even out over time with a low milegae driver.

I still maintain mine would be abetter buy then an ex demo that has had the living daylights thrashed out of it ;o))

Enjoy the Blue R27, fantastic car. When you expecting delivery of it?

ST
Racing blue looks sex & you won't be worried about getting it scratched.
Yellow is an arse to match.
You won't miss climate or xenons, i never did.
Just drive it, thats what it was built for.
The extras won't make it worth 2.5K more in a year or so.

Exactly!!

I changed from a full spec black gold 182 to a near standard Red F1 Team and haven't looked back...it comes with aircon as standard and i'll be fitting a 6000k HID kit very very soon..

LY V6 with Recaros
I love both colours, but I'd go for the fully specced one. I think ly looks stunning on the 197.

MG ZS180 Mk2
Well the yellow one was sold Sunday afternoon but we had already decided on the blue one by that point.

I did ring this morning and as well as the folding mirros, I have added climate control (inc auto lights/wipers) so the only thing it won't have is Xenons (and cornering lights). I guess I could get some bulb upgrades though.
Trouble is, its not going to be in the country until end of November. Gutting.

Still, gives me time to find a parcel shelf so I can take the 6x9's out of the 182.

If only I hadn't have fitted that new cat back Milltek exhaust only 2 weeks ago and then taken the old one to the tip in 2 pieces.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
i was offered a Racing Blue R27 with xenons, tints, electric pack and climate for £14k. Huge value for an unregistered car!