ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yet another ph1 track car

Starting this thread to organise my plans and get feedback from the ever knowledgable CS'ers who have been there and done it before me!

Recently bought a ph1 172 off a member on here (yet to actually collect it but should be next weekend!) for the grand sum of £475 for which i got a car with 78k on the clock, belts changed, average condition paintwork with a bit of rush on rear arch. No mot or tax but as this will be a dedicated track car it will be trailered everywhere so that doesn't matter!

00fe52d0.jpg57a551cb.jpg301f08de.jpg741411e8.jpge3d01896.jpg

(not my images)

First plans are;
Weight loss - strip it to within an inch of its life, carpet, tar, etc as far as I can go, put my spare cup seats in for now
Brakes - Fresh fluid, Ferodo DS25/3000 and braided lines, new discs
Wheels - Federal 595 RS-R's all round, either on standard F1's or possibly 15" TD 1.2/Superleggeras
Handling - Whiteline r-arb, front end freshen up, camber bolts, coilovers eventually (unsure which ones atm)
Misc - dogbone mount polybushed, solid engine mounts, fixed buckets, cage (unsure half or full), full service + gearbox oil change, exhaust, aircon removal and lots of TUITION!

Will be trying to keep costs down as low as possible, second hand parts when possible and the ever handy/helpful Budgie doing much of the mechanical work! Hoping to get a friend involved in a 50/50 split which will mean the budget can be upped when it comes to coilovers etc but will be just me for the next few months.

I've probably missed lots but will try to keep updating with any news/changes

Attachments

• 90c38e28.jpg
    90c38e28.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 113
  172 PH1
Quite a few of us West Sussex (Chichester) based so loads of help around you mate.

nearly all of us silver ph1's too haha

Currently negotiating on a fixed bucket seat as well so hopefully should have my first mod soon! Will see what state the cars in then probably start with new pads/discs(if needed) and then get my seat in and car stripped! No trackways booked yet but wouldn't mind seeing how she goes!

Nice, haven't seen any members off here before, I'm from Worthing so not too far from Chi.

@Ash - front and back braided lines? Good condition? I'd definitely be interested!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Looks good chap, and at that price is a bargain! Lol at Mike being busy, I don't mind joining and lending a hand, making teas and bacon sandwiches :)

Be good to see swift progress with it. You should bring it to Llandow.

Small update of where she's at now

2CFC5BB0-2431-4C36-8E2D-75437F11444C-3913-000002260F46969B.gif

Just waiting for some time off uni/work to get down and start stripping it out

My two cars (S3 doubles up as tow car/daily)

BD623FFA-2C5E-47B3-94AD-DF4E9AA42561-3913-00000226077A6730.jpg

Incase anyone is interested the S3 spec is; B5 TIP, kw v1's, LCR Brembo's, R32 r-arb, SAI/N249 delete, Miltek cat back, 3"dp and decat with relentless manifold and forged rods awaiting fitting.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Proper cheap car, but by the time you do all the stuff on your list, especially if you have to pay some labour (even at budgie rates) then you would be better buying a modified one to start with surely?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Incase anyone is interested the S3 spec is; B5 TIP, kw v1's, LCR Brembo's, R32 r-arb, SAI/N249 delete, Miltek cat back, 3"dp and decat with relentless manifold and forged rods awaiting fitting.

Danpl6 is quite keenly priced for rod swaps on these IIRC

I've already bought the rods, paid about £500 inc cambelt kit, bearings etc which was the best deal I could find at the time, how much roughly does Danpl6 usually charge?

Yes I probably could have bought pre-modified, but I enjoy doing the modding myself and seeing/feeling the transformation along the way, as does my friend who will eventually buy his 50% stake, and this way we get to try some of the work out ourselves or even if its simply helping Budgie out, it's all valuable experience for someone who enjoys mechanics but has little knowledge/experience.

We won't be much use but hopefully shouldn't make your job any harder! I'm quite good at fetching spanners/making tea!

Going to make a start on stripping it down tomorrow, sell any bits which can help recoup a bit of money and hopefully get this project on the go!

Hopefully should see a bit of progress in the next week or so, my friend is back from Thailand so we can maybe spend a little cash, although nothing major will happen just yet only stripping it out and freshening up. On the lookout for a fixed bucket though!

Could anyone tell me the best place to get track rod ends (and track rods?), steering rack bushes, oil and filter.

Also, if i replace my wishbones for the cup equivalent, will i need to replace the driveshafts or is the wider track caused by offset on the wheels?

Is a full polybush kit worth buying whilst i'm at it? I know the dogbone mount is a common mod but not sure how far to go with the polybushing. This car will never see public road tarmac so no worries about comfort, purely want to enhance the handling capacities.

Lastly, whats the best fluid to use? I have some braided lines for front and back, and will be purchasing either some DS2500 or 3000, but not sure on the best fluid to use!

Clio 172
Could anyone tell me the best place to get track rod ends (and track rods?), steering rack bushes, oil and filter.

Speak to Colin Bass of Wests Renault in the traders section and get the genuine articles. Just had all the above done minus the steering rack bushes, makes the car feel like new.

LY Megane R26 230
Nice to hear progress is on its way Jack.ive found a silver touch up pen you can have do drop me a pm with your address mate :)

7F2FB08F-CE62-41DD-B940-0AD2FC25BB07-3423-0000026B22CC1756.jpg

First phase of the stripping done, will tackle the rest of the car and redundant brackets etc this coming week then maybe rattle can it silver or black.

Will be giving wests Renault a ring tomorrow and ordering bits for a decent service and also new brake bits through G172! Thanks for the replies, hopefully should be ready for the first track day in a couple of months.

@Ash - that would be great, thanks, will PM you my address!