ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yippeeeeee...... fixed again

my offending passenger side engine mount has been given a thorough talking to and my annoying knocking noise thats been plaguing me for the last few months now seems banished again.....(third time its been fixed)

i may invest in a new mounting though just to be on the safe side...

i can now use first gear and the accelerator pedal at the same time... brilliant huh ?

well this wasnt broken as such;

When i bought the car, whe pulling away in 1st, you got a clonking noise from behind the engine basically... down low and behind the centre console....

this also appeared when changing gear craply and letting the clutch up a bit suddenly...

I took it to my car blokey and thanks to Simon172s info , we had a look at the offending mount...

it was loose enough to allow a fair amount of engine movement if you pushed the engine back and forth by hand...

tightened it up and the noise went.....

for a bit..... i.e a few months.. then it gradually came back..

took it in again... had a look.... still tight but obviously something wasnt right...

took it off completely and noticed that a lot of the rubber inside the mount was worn away presumeabley from its earlier flapping around days.....

the guy made up a nylon bush to go inside the mount to compensate for the missing rubber... stuck it all back on again and once again the noise was gone...

that lasted another few months but then the noise has come back with a vengeance...

took it to him this weekend... he did something involving washers but i didnt see it this time so am not sure... the noise has gone.... even if you cane it in 1st.....so im happy for now...

but the mount itself (touch wood) hasnt broken... just been loose and then worn.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Hmmmm. Just one clonk as you pull away? Or lots? I get 1 clonk as I pull away, then another when I engage 2nd if Im shifting a bit.

lots

like warp wap wap wap wap wap wap wap wap wap wap wap wap wap

then 2nd gear wap wap

and then only if i let the clutch up a bit too eagerly through the rest of the gears...

CTR EK9 turbo

cool glad it got sorted - for now - anyway. Im thinking mines on its way back, but thats during violent gear changes tho. Yeah - mike you might wanna get that looked at. Appareantly its a well -known 172 problem!?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by VR6man on 11 March 2003

lots

like warp wap wap wap wap wap wap wap wap wap wap wap wap wap

then 2nd gear wap wap

and then only if i let the clutch up a bit too eagerly through the rest of the gears...

Thats exactly what I get.. any chance you can get pics up of the offending item.. i take it i have to remove the battery.. damn .. where did i put the radio code..

Renault Laguna Coupe

Ill go to the Renalt garage and do the old - "my car is noisy and my mate reckons its an engine mount" routine. I wouldnt know an engine mount if one fell on my head unfortunately, but Id love to get rid of this damn clonk.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

i take it to renault and crash into the showroom shout "fix my f**king car now!!" walk over to the manager slap a post-it on his head with your mobile number on it and walk out.

or do what mike said....

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I HAVE taken it to Renault and done the old, "my car is noisy under wheelspin and my mates reckon its an engine mount"

They took it away and when i got it back they said, sorry sir we couldnt find the fault and we were not prepared to take your car out and wheelspin it (even though I asked them too)

so what do I do about it now then - asks me

dont wheelspin it - renualt reply

I thought the guy was taking the piss, like that joke where you go to the doctors and say.. my arm hurts when i do this.. well dont do that then..bleh GRRR>..

ps.. LOL @ the post-it note..

RB5 & 172

mine to has started to clonk when i let the clutch out to quick, is this the start of the dodgy engine mount problems?

I actually got my act together and had a look for this engine mount the other day (after moaning about it for a couple of years). Anyhow, I took out the airbox and the battery and still couldnt find the ruddy thing! Any other clues (ie is it on top or underneath the gearbox?)

Cheers!

Matt

right...

if you take off the airbox remove the battery, the engine mount is the thing you can see underneath where the battery was....

hmm... its basically got a big nut the middle, a bit of rubber under the nut then two smaller bolts at either end of the elliptical metal place....

on mine, the first time, the middle bolt was loose... hence the engine movement....

the second time it wasnt loose but once we got it off, you could see the inside was knackered ie a lot of rubber missing which meant that although it was tight at the top, it could all flex within the mount...

the mount basically seems to attach to the gearbox

unfortunately although i thought about it at the time, i forgot to take my camera each time i went there myself....

Cheers mate - at least I know that I was tinkering with the right bolt - it seemed really tight but it sounds like it might be an idea to take it off and examine it...

Matt

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

ye i think I will have a go at it this w/end too as although it doesnt really do it in the dry I still dont like putting my foot down in 1st.

ps. I will take pix with me digital camera and post a howto or somthing.. that way anyone in future will know what it is and how to fix it . thx to vr6man .. cheers bud ;)

and simon172 as well as he had this problem fixed at.. wait for it.. a renault dealer who actually acknowledged it was a problem !