ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

yoko AD08 vs federal RS-R

V6 255
I read somewhere that they are fine if you heat them up and cool them down in a specific way. Sadly I can't find where I saw it, nor can I remember if it even told you the best way how.

Anyone else read similar?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I read somewhere that they are fine if you heat them up and cool them down in a specific way. Sadly I can't find where I saw it, nor can I remember if it even told you the best way how.

Anyone else read similar?

Those horizontal cracks accross the tyre appear to be where the out layer of rubber is wrapped around the tyre and welded the weld has failed, I cant see any amount of warming up and cooling down "fixing" that issue TBH, especially as it happened to one guy who was just driving around slowly on them to run his engine in, and the radial tears on the outside just seem to be the tyre not being able to take the punishment of really hard cornering.

Sadly they just seem to be poorly made, and even if there was some special way of heat cycling them each time you use them, I dont want to do that, I just want to pull out of the barrier at the ring and onto the track and drive the track fairly hard, not spend half the lap worrying about managing tyre temps to some bizarre pattern that may or may not work anyway.

V6 255
Those horizontal cracks accross the tyre appear to be where the out layer of rubber is wrapped around the tyre and welded the weld has failed, I cant see any amount of warming up and cooling down "fixing" that issue TBH, especially as it happened to one guy who was just driving around slowly on them to run his engine in, and the radial tears on the outside just seem to be the tyre not being able to take the punishment of really hard cornering.

Sadly they just seem to be poorly made, and even if there was some special way of heat cycling them each time you use them, I dont want to do that, I just want to pull out of the barrier at the ring and onto the track and drive the track fairly hard, not spend half the lap worrying about managing tyre temps to some bizarre pattern that may or may not work anyway.

This was the reason why I was edging towards the AD08s until this thread came back up. Think it has confirmed that I'll be having the Yokos and when it becomes my track only car then I'll worry over the track tyres - possibly A048Rs...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
This was the reason why I was edging towards the AD08s until this thread came back up. Think it has confirmed that I'll be having the Yokos and when it becomes my track only car then I'll worry over the track tyres - possibly A048Rs...

I like A048s a lot, seem to last better than 888s when both are very low, as I find when the 888 are down to the last couple of mm they go off quite quickly with heat so you can only get a few laps a time out of them before they start to feel slimey.

Michelin Pilot Sport cups are my favourite tyre but too much money really so I only buy them if I find them cheap secondhand nearly new.

You would know before they blew out though because the tread stripped would have fucked off a long time before.

I've seen tyres that have worn through the wires and there is about half a mm of rubber holding it together, looks mad.

I don't deal with Federal but I am tempted to try some.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You would know before they blew out though because the tread stripped would have f**ked off a long time before.

I've seen tyres that have worn through the wires and there is about half a mm of rubber holding it together, looks mad.

I don't deal with Federal but I am tempted to try some.

Agreed it shouldnt just fail suddenly if its just the top layer that is peeling off.

Far from ideal though to be delaminating like that.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Ad08's are awesome have done 5000 miles on mine and a week at the ring, have about 6mm tread left. My mate had the RSR's for 3 weeks until his started to de-laminate. He replaced them with ad08's and never looked back especially after they felt so good around nürburgring.

I'd say without goin 888, ao48 they are probably the best road/track day tyre ever made! You won't regret it!! :)

I managed to knock off 30s this year mainly down to nailing alot more of the track but the tyres felt amazing didn't let me down once and they were getting pushed very hard!!

Audi A5
Ffs I go and buy some rsr's after the first two pages of this thread tell me that their definitely worth buying and now page 3 comes along and tells me their going to fall apart lol. Not good when I've got a track day at brands soon,I now don't even want to think about paddock hill bend lol.

Should be all ok, I hope.

Audi A5
Ffs I go and buy some rsr's after the first two pages of this thread tell me that their definitely worth buying and now page 3 comes along and tells me their going to fall apart lol. Not good when I've got a track day at brands soon,I now don't even want to think about paddock hill bend lol.

Should be all ok, I hope.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Doh, in two minds now as I need something for my MX5 and the RSR's sounded ideal..

Might wait and see if Chip bins it next week at Quarry then decide ;)

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
The cracks across the tyres do not seem to effect them.
They are used as the control tyre in the Mazda race series & these guys give them death.
At RTOC my mates 5 did not get overtaken all day & in the wet I was astounded at the speeds through Gerard's.
They are awesome as in you can come straight out the pits & nail it don't need a lap or two to warm up.
For the money what do you want, cheap as chips?

This is the cheapest place; http://www.racecarnewmedia.com/bmtr/news.asp?NewsID=45

Why buy second hand tyres with those prices?

By the way doing trackdays is not cheap ;)

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
They don't stock 16's though Steve I emailed them a while back..

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Doh, in two minds now as I need something for my MX5 and the RSR's sounded ideal..

Might wait and see if Chip bins it next week at Quarry then decide ;)

Lol

We will be running 888 or a048 if it's dry and rain sports or wets if it isn't mate not the rsr, bought them for the road as the paradas weren't really up for turbo torque.
Or pilot sport cups if we take the Corsa as I've got jobs to do on the clio before using it on track and not sure if I will get chance before Combe next weekend.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The cracks across the tyres do not seem to effect them.
They are used as the control tyre in the Mazda race series & these guys give them death.
At RTOC my mates 5 did not get overtaken all day & in the wet I was astounded at the speeds through Gerard's.
They are awesome as in you can come straight out the pits & nail it don't need a lap or two to warm up.
For the money what do you want, cheap as chips?

This is the cheapest place; http://www.racecarnewmedia.com/bmtr/news.asp?NewsID=45

Why buy second hand tyres with those prices?

By the way doing trackdays is not cheap ;)

Not the cheapest place by quite a bit for 195 50 15.

I paid less than that, 267 delivered for four, ordered Tuesday, arrived yesterday.

Over 300 where you are saying is cheapest, 59 each plus vat and carriage.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Prices have gone up since Feb, £68, was the old price for 17's.

Also they usually have stock where as other places don't.

Last edited:
  V6 255
£110 from click on tyres in that size. It's where I get my boots from, they're pretty good

Last edited: