ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

yoko AD08 vs federal RS-R

Audi A5
So I'm going to be buying some new tyres soon and have nuckled my choices down to these two, I'm looking for a tyre that's going to perform on track and can drive to and from on aswell as I don't really want a spare set of wheels so R888 etc are out of the equation.

Just want to get people opinions on these before ordering, the ad08 are about £15 dearer a corner so are they worth it?

Also wondering how many miles and/or track days people get out of these?

Tyre size will be 195 50 15.

Cheers bobby

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
What price you paying as AD08 are usually lot more than RSR.
I got some 215/45/17 RSR for £78 each.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Steve where did you get them for that price? As need some 16's soon.. or is it bmtr?

Audi A5
I can get rsr's for £59 each (trade) and when I got prices the chap said they would be 15-20 quid each more for the ad08...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That 59 sounds very good for the RSR! Id be buying a set of those if I could get them at that price TBH

Audi A5
Yeah I am leaning towards the rsr's as its a good price, how many miles are they good for roughly...

LY Megane R26
I have AD08 in 16" and think there awesome, huge step up from my Hankook V12's! Although I'm yet to take them on track so cant comment from that point of view.
Rhys Beal and dmallet have the RSR's and I believe there impressed, they have both done a track day and the Ring in May on these and we didn't crash:) Which is a bonus!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah I am leaning towards the rsr's as its a good price, how many miles are they good for roughly...

I wouldnt expect more than a few thousand enthusiastic road miles out of any performance tyre (even with swapping them front to back etc) TBH but havent tried the RSR on the road yet myself.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Rsr's are a lot better than 888's for wear chip. Not sure n the exact wear rate but I know people having done a half dozen track days a ring trip and 5k road miles and still legal, Which has me sold!

Audi A5
I have AD08 in 16" and think there awesome, huge step up from my Hankook V12's! Although I'm yet to take them on track so cant comment from that point of view.
Rhys Beal and dmallet have the RSR's and I believe there impressed, they have both done a track day and the Ring in May on these and we didn't crash:) Which is a bonus!

How many miles have you done on your ad08's and how much tread have you got left roughly?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Rsr's are a lot better than 888's for wear chip. Not sure n the exact wear rate but I know people having done a half dozen track days a ring trip and 5k road miles and still legal, Which has me sold!

Without a doubt they are better mate, but the trade off is then being not quite so grippy on track.

As an all round tyre then from what I have seen they take some beating, but not tried them myself yet as I tend to just run road tyres on the road and track tyres on the track rather than trying to get something to comrpomise to do both.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
92 quid for the RSR in 195/50/15 from camskill:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m12b0s662...L_595RSR_FEDERAL_595_RS-R_-_195_50R15_82W_TL_

So I just dont understand how anyone can fly you them at 59 quid each.

Dont fancy buying me a set do you if I give you the cash? lol

Ad08 also from camskill are quite a few quid a tyre less (79 quid each, so roughly 15% less), so not sure why your supplier is saying they are dearer?
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m12b0s662...DVAN_NEOVA_YOKOHAMA_AD_08_-_195_50R15_82V_TL_

ph1 172
I have done around 3000 road miles on my RSR's, 1 hot track day, 1 wet track day and a 2 days spent at the Nurburgring. They have 5mm tread remaining on the fronts and around 5.5mm on the back. (I rotate them after a while)

For the money I really cannot fault them. They have done exactly what I have asked from them and even in the wet they preformed way above my expectations. Not just a good tyre for the money but all round a good tyre full stop.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Rhys, that is a lot better than I would have expected.

Certainly sounds like the ideal "one tyre for all occasions" compromise that people are often looking for.

Audi A5
Stange that I thought ad08's were more exspensive ill have to have another chat with him tomorrow and get him to confirm a price for the ad08. Saying that I'm 90% sure ill be ordering some rsr's :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
that 67 quid price is good, might order some of those to give them a try as road tyres on the turbo as normal road tyres cant hack the torque!

edit: ordered - thanks for the tip

Audi A5
I got all excited and order four rsr's :)

The ad08 were near to £100 each in the end so that made the decision easy as theirs a £40 gap between the two.

Ph2 Clio 172
Good choice.

I've done 2 track days on my RS-Rs and they have hardly lost any tread. The outside edge is obviously wearing more than the inside, but I will get them swapped left to right after the next day.

It was simply the cost that swung me. I got them for £65 a corner, which is silly cheap.

Beware standing water though.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
267 for the four including delivery mine came to, so around 300 quid fitted, I will be doing hardly any road miles in the turbo as I have several others cars I would generally pick in preference unless I am going to a trackday or a meet or similar, so hopefully they will last at least a year.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Good choice.

I've done 2 track days on my RS-Rs and they have hardly lost any tread. The outside edge is obviously wearing more than the inside, but I will get them swapped left to right after the next day.

It was simply the cost that swung me. I got them for £65 a corner, which is silly cheap.

Beware standing water though.

If the outside edge is wearing a lot more than the inside, you need more negative camber.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i found them for cheaper than that a few weeks back on ebay brand new and camskill couldn't price match it

I didnt bother asking camskill to price match, I hate companies who do that, its like they know their prices are a ripoff and they expect you to still buy from them if they make them less of a ripoff after you do all the hardwork.
I will only ever ask a company for a price once when im looking, and I want their best price first time.

267 delivered for the 4 from that delti link was pretty good IMHO :)

I didnt bother asking camskill to price match, I hate companies who do that, its like they know their prices are a ripoff and they expect you to still buy from them if they make them less of a ripoff after you do all the hardwork.
I will only ever ask a company for a price once when im looking, and I want their best price first time.

267 delivered for the 4 from that delti link was pretty good IMHO :)

yeah i just thought id see if they could and didnt think they'd be able 2 tbh

I have done around 3000 road miles on my RSR's, 1 hot track day, 1 wet track day and a 2 days spent at the Nurburgring. They have 5mm tread remaining on the fronts and around 5.5mm on the back. (I rotate them after a while)

For the money I really cannot fault them. They have done exactly what I have asked from them and even in the wet they preformed way above my expectations. Not just a good tyre for the money but all round a good tyre full stop.

This. I got mine at the same time as Rhys, brilliant tyres. Ive done very similar to the above use and mine are still good to go! Cant wait to wear down the Parada Spec-2's so i can run the RSR's full time on my car.

*I also dont drive as hard as Rhys as hes a nutcase.

V6 255
I'll have this dilemma as soon as I burn through the Hankooks on it, hopefully a couple of trackdays will do that. I was edging towards the AD08s, but after this I'm unsure again. Post up your findings

Evo
Alot of complaints arising as to the quality of these Federals. I've had two fail on me within 300 miles of fitting, one with delaminating tread peeling away and another cracking on the shoulder. No kerbing or any other unusual abuse could have caused these.

Hear alot of the same thing on forums...

182cup & 172 racecar

Rhys, must try harder.