ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yoko AD08 Vs Toyo R888

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I've been looking at some replacement track tyres as my R888s have only got a few days left in them, and as the price has gone up a fair bit, I started to look at others.

I’ve tried to find as many reviews as possible from lots of different sources, all mixed, as everything normally is on forums, so thought I’d do my own test.

I’ve just got a set of Yoko AD08’s to try. My first outing on them will be at Brands on the 26[SUP]th[/SUP] Nov. I did brands last on R888s, and have recorded lap times. I’ll be doing the same this year but on the AD08’s, I’ll be timing again so we’ll see what the outcome is! I personally don’t think they’ll be as grippy, but worth a test!

So far I’ve found out that the AD08’s have more tread (8mm vs 5mm) they also have a higher treadwear rating (180 vs 100 for the R888s) but also read that this differs between manufacturers, so isn’t a reliable rating between brands . I’ve also been reading about overheating, and the AD08 has an improved recipe and isn’t as prone to overheating as the R888s or previous AD07.

Remember, all of the info above I’ve gained from 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] parties, so not my comments at all! My comments will come on or after the 26[SUP]th[/SUP] Nov!

Anyone else had experience of both tyres and want to add comments? Feel free….

My mate has run both, and was saying that the R888 is a better tyre, but you have to keep the heat in them for them to perform at their best, but the AD08's don't need this as much.

He switched for the same reason as you, cheaper than the R888's.

That's from my mate though, had no experience with either myself.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I know they're not a dedicated track tyre, but some have said they can rival the grip levels in certain situations. Only one way to find out...

172 ph1
I love the AD08.

Very good grip in the dry, pretty amazing grip in the wet too.

Sensitive to pressure changes.

Perhaps not as much ultimate grip as the R888 in the dry but they give a lot of feedback.

Managed 3:25 around Spa when it was raining.

Last edited by a moderator:

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
The Toyo R1R may be another choice to think about mate. They are 6.5mm new and 140 tread wear and £64 on camskill compared to the r888 which are £108 (in 195 50 15). When my r888 need replacing next year i may try the R1R out or the Yoko ad08 as similar price.

172 ph1
looks to handle really well
Yeah it now handles a lot closer to neutral.

The AD08s were also fantastic at the 'Ring on Tuesday. Dealt quite well with torrential rain on the way back too, despite doing 140+km/h, which would definitely not have been doable on R888s.

Not the quickest lap due to traffic at some crucial corners but the potential for a quicker lap is there

Last edited by a moderator:
  Cup Turbo, Flamer
Right. the R888's are off (in the for sale section if anyone wants them) and the AD08's have been put on, only driven home so far, but initial thoughts are that they're alot quieter than the R888s. I'm not fussed about that as its a track car.

We'll wait and see how they go on the 26th...

172/1.2/E30
Where do you get these AD08s and how much are they a corner? Need some proper tires for next year's trackdays. Any suggestions? RS2s? 595 RSRs? Mind: I am not a high roller. ;)

172 ph1
Hmm having gone for a lap with someone on R888s I can confirm that they do grip a LOT harder. I was still very happy with the AD08 though. Managed a 8:38.