ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

You know, these 172s are pretty quick!

Clio 172
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd say that I've had a bit of a realisation about the 172. I was a bit annoyed when I got mine as I thought it wasn't that fast, so I got it remapped by RS Tuning, and the engine has been getting better as I bought it from one female previous owner so it had never been 'driven' but I still was not amazed, until last weekend.

My mates just bought a 2000 plate BMW M Roadster with 321bhp. We just happened to be on the bypass, him in front and so when he went for it I thought I'd follow. I expected him to blaze off into the distance, but he didn't, he pulled about a 8 car length lead and didn't really get much further ahead. To be fair, I was giving my clio the absolute full beans but I was very suprised for him not to leave me for dust as you can imagine (at naughty mph I reeled him in as he bottled it).

Then I had a go in it and yes it is quick but not amazingly so, just makes me think you have to spend some serious money to get a much more rapid car, believe me I have driven a mates tuned up 520bhp Ferrari 360CS so I know what fast is supposed to feel like.

Maybe my car's not so bad afterall, just a shame in the last month I've had road tax (boo), MOT and 4 new tyres (Michelin Pilot Exalto 2's £70 each fully fitted at Costco, bargain). And it's going to need service soon too.

Anyone want to buy it?!

John

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
They're good cars and can punch above their weight but are easily beaten in a straight line.

Where are you in Leeds?

Mk2 172
my mates got an m roadster. obviously something wrong with ur mates then!!!!
I have a 182 and he destroys me. His is delimited and hes had it clean off the end of the clock! 170 ISH! theres nothing wrong with my clio either. your 172 must be very up on the power then cos thats not the experience ive had. Strange?!?! :S

If the dude in the M3 roadster was giving it some, he would have been in a different county to you if he'd have wanted to.
They do 60 in about 4.8secs they are mental cars.

Honda Civic Type R
the way i read it, te bmw pulled 8 car lengths ahead. EIGHT!!! that my friends is loads. what more do you want. sounds to me he got totally destroyed, as you'd expect against a car like that.

it quite often used to happen to me that i'd get a saxo vts or 106 gti or the like getting right up my arse on the motorway. and on occasion i'd give in to temptation and floor it and pull away with ease. but after i've pulled away i'd ease off as there's no point anymore and then 5 seconds later they'd catch up and probably think they were able to stay with me. tut tut

my point is, if the bmw managed to pull such a huge gap it clearly is a hell of a lot faster. just coz you can still see him in the distance doesn't mean you're staying with him as by the soundsof it, you've already been obliterated. the Z3M roadster is a seriously fast machine

Mk4 .:R32
Depends how long the bypass was as to whether 8 car lengths is far. Z3M roadster would wipe the floor with a 172. Even with early gear changes it would still win without trying

Audi TT 225
I raced my mates M3 and he was expecting to totally own me and was very surprised to see me a few car lenghts off his bumper all the way. He was gutted LOL

Golf 7R
Such a warped perception some of you share. 8 car lengths by anyones standard is a country mile, and id be ashamed to come onto a car forum and state that you held your own. an Z3M roadster would beat anything that has a Renaultsport badge im afraid... a serious piece of kit!

Clio 172
I just meant it wasn't anywhere near as fast as I though it'd be even when driving it. I seemed to have rattled a few peoples cages, oops!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Sorry i find this hard to believe.
Are we talking about the same car that pulled at least 8 cars on an evo 6 on one of clarksons dvd's a few years back

ian

porsche 944 - 80's ftw!
Ive had 2 m3 evo's (both saloons) and to be honest m8 you would never beat one in any 172 or 182

Clio 172 mk2 & Clio 3 DCi
having come from a subaru i can say that a 172 isnt anywhere near as quick in a straight line as an m3. i know as i got very well left for dead round castle combe trying to follow an 03 reg m3 in my scooby and that was faster than my scooby.

granted a 172/82 handles amazingly well and on a twisty road a well driven 172/82 will leave a lot of things behind. i am certainly impressed with the handling of the car.

they do go well when going, the in gear times are pretty good but from a standstill and on a long straight anything like a m3 etc will leave you a long way behind.

its more fun though when you are chasing something like the above on a twisty road and they can leave you behind though:D

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Ive had 2 m3 evo's (both saloons) and to be honest m8 you would never beat one in any 172 or 182

Really? I handed this 321bhp M3 its a*** - video

Sure he pulled in a straight line, but it was only as I got to the top of 4th that he really started getting away - and how often does that happen on the roads (120+ mph)?

I just meant it wasn't anywhere near as fast as I though it'd be even when driving it. I seemed to have rattled a few peoples cages, oops!

You'll always get this sort of reaction. I didn't hear you say you owned it, just that you were surprised at how in-touch you could stay with it.

They're pretty damn quick...but not supercars.

172 cup
cool video mate loving the last few corners

what is that anyway a tuition day or something?

looks fun anyway

Mk2 172
this post is completely stupid. in a straight line a 182 or 172 will get left for dead easily by either an e36 m3 or an e46 m3. i have a 182 cup and i know two people which have both of these cars. my dad has an e46 and my best mate an e36 and on a dual carriageway literally 1 min from my house i have chased both of them and i stand no chance at all. they dont absolutely anihalate me but lets put it this way, they get a huge gap!!!. end of. they are in a completely different league to a clio. clios are fun tho.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

Sure he pulled in a straight line, but it was only as I got to the top of 4th that he really started getting away - and how often does that happen on the roads (120+ mph)?

Surely by the fact you took a lesson a track, you should realise that a car is only as fast as the driver. M3 is a capable car.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

You'll always get this sort of reaction. I didn't hear you say you owned it, just that you were surprised at how in-touch you could stay with it.

What a load of shite.You had an instructor and the guy didnt want to bin his M3 into a gravel trap.
Put both your cars side by side on any motorway or D/C and you would be handed your arse on a plate.

Lol,another delusional cup driver

ian

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Well i've driven my fair share of quick stuff...350bhp Esprit, 220 Bhp Exige S, 300bhp Impreza...all are stunningly fast but its not like i get in my car everyday after work and think it feels slow....far from it.

I think some perspective is needed. The 1*2 is fast for what it is....stop doing it down.
And anyway...any monkey can drive fast in a straight line.
Its the curvy bits between the straight bits that will determine a truly complete fast car.

Mk2 172
thats very true ian. an m3 is a very capable car and should never be underestimated. if you have the right driver behind the wheel they will by far out handle a clio. most people dont drive them completely balls out like us clio owners because dont forget its best part of 50k! i drive my dads e46 more than once a week and its a stupidly quick car if you keep it pinned! i would never dare take it anywhere near its limits on the road cos all i know is that when it does finally let go youll be goin alot faster than you would be in a clio. no offence to us clio owners but an m3 is a very quick car in the right hands!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

What a load of s**te.You had an instructor and the guy didnt want to bin his M3 into a gravel trap.
Put both your cars side by side on any motorway or D/C and you would be handed your arse on a plate.

ian

An instructor doesn't affect straight line speed, only corner entry and exit, everyone drives the straight with their foot to the floor. On that video there are two long bursts of straight line acceleration - and he pulls away, but not as much as some of these "it's a fcukuin supercar and would muller you" comments suggest.

He wasn't going for it? That's not what he said when I spoke to him about it afterwards.

Mk4 .:R32
This thread has become pretty pointless. People are trying to compare a 2.0 182 bhp FWD car to a 3.2 straight six 340bhp RWD car. There is no comparison, so why try and make one?

I bet theres M3 drivers reading and laughing at this thread lol

Clio 172 mk2
Well i've driven my fair share of quick stuff...350bhp Esprit, 220 Bhp Exige S, 300bhp Impreza...all are stunningly fast but its not like i get in my car everyday after work and think it feels slow....far from it.

I think some perspective is needed. The 1*2 is fast for what it is....stop doing it down.
And anyway...any monkey can drive fast in a straight line.
Its the curvy bits between the straight bits that will determine a truly complete fast car.

Agree

Pointing any car down a motorway and putting your foot down isn't hard

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
Yeah but the clio owner bought his car and a condo in the med for the same price as the other guys M3.

Lifes not all about the dual carridgeway/motorway. After we kicked the Romans out of this country we spoiled their roads by adding corners and thats where the poxy little clio kicks ass.

The M3 is practically a supercar and is on Top Gear more than Clarkson, simply being in sight of it after a lap of a track is fairly awesome for what is a £14000 pile of french plastic.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
What a load of s**te.You had an instructor and the guy didnt want to bin his M3 into a gravel trap.

ian

An instructor doesn't affect straight line speed, only corner entry and exit, everyone drives the straight with their foot to the floor. On that video there are two long bursts of straight line acceleration - and he pulls away, but not as much as some of these "it's a fcukuin supercar and would muller you" comments suggest.

He wasn't going for it? That's not what he said when I spoke to him about it afterwards.

I agree with you mark, straight line speed agreed a clio would loose, I've done quite a few track days now, the last one (in the UK) was at RAF Marham, one of my friends there did have an E36 M3. There was a fast 3rd gear left turn leading on to a mile or so long straight, come out at top of third, changed into 4ht and when i got into 5th thats when the M3 closed in, now my car isnt standard, but no way highly tuned either!

Now, i don't care if poeple say that didn't happen blah blah, i couldn't care less, i know what happened, i was there, mark even posted a video of him owning one, yet you still contest it!

Maybe the cups are just super quick aye mark?! lol!

H22A7 Accord Type R
John, were there any Accord Type R's at Marham? a few of the guys i know were there causing havoc.........there was a lotus Carlton there that day too?

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

I agree with you mark, straight line speed agreed a clio would loose, I've done quite a few track days now, the last one (in the UK) was at RAF Marham, one of my friends there did have an E36 M3. There was a fast 3rd gear left turn leading on to a mile or so long straight, come out at top of third, changed into 4ht and when i got into 5th thats when the M3 closed in, now my car isnt standard, but no way highly tuned either!

Now, i don't care if poeple say that didn't happen blah blah, i couldn't care less, i know what happened, i was there, mark even posted a video of him owning one, yet you still contest it!

Maybe the cups are just super quick aye mark?! lol!

Fantastic.Now my world is clear!!!!

Lesson of the day:Lets stick the stig in a 172 and steven hawking in an M3 and tell the world the cups the quicker car.
I thought some of you boys had degrees and stuff
lol

ian

Cup Turbo, Flamer
John, were there any Accord Type R's at Marham? a few of the guys i know were there causing havoc.........there was a lotus Carlton there that day too?

I went on the sunday, there were loads of carltons there, Paul Bailey was there in an F40 managed to smash his headlight and blow a turbo, he didnt seem bothered tho!! Don't remember seeing/hearing any Accords there, was a supercharged civic type r though a red one, where ehy there on the saturday?

H22A7 Accord Type R
im not sure John, it may have been a totally different day for all i know :) they seemed to enjoy it though, but the guy running R888's tyres took a pounding on the surface lol

Renault Clio S
This car versus that car is a pointless, but fun argument.

Anyone see that episode of Top Gear where that female driver from the Nurburgring thrashed a Ford Transit van around it quicker than all the Ferrari and 911 drivers out on their hot laps. Any driver who can go beyond what us mere mortals consider to be the limit, will always rule the day.

I know a few M3 and 911 owners and each one of them buys into the idea of what their car is capable of performance wise rather than what they as drivers are capable of on the road or track.

The one exception being my mate’s brother who was curiously to see what would happen if it absolutely floored his M3 from a stand still with the traction control switched off. Lets just say he regretted that one.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Fantastic.Now my world is clear!!!!

Lesson of the day:Lets stick the stig in a 172 and steven hawking in an M3 and tell the world the cups the quicker car.
I thought some of you boys had degrees and stuff
lol

ian

You've lost me totally.

Who was it that said a Cup was quicker than an M3?

If no one said that, what's your point exactly?