ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

you need to bed the engine hard

somebody said that is better to bed the engine really hard so that u can get the max power out of ur engine and the best economy in time... is it true?why does the constructor tell something else?

I think we are mostly agreed that the best way to run in a new engine is to gradually buld up the revs you use as the mileage rises, that and avoid holding the car at constant revs for long periods of time.

Running in the engine hard might well release a few more ponies but is sure to take its toll later on in the engines life and will probably lead to premature wear/failure of key engine components.

Along with not revving the car hard until the oil is up to full operating temperature the above is probably the best way to look after your engine and keep the bills to a minimum.

[Edited by BossCup on 01 June 2004 at 8:22am]

Renault Laguna Coupe

Bed it in hard = max power & minimum engine life apparently. Follow the instructions and the engine will last longer.

Meg on pistonheads £6995

defo agree:

2-5 miles v. easy (depending on how hot).

increase revs gently (half max for min. 500 miles)

vary revs - drive at 50 all day in 5th and youll f**k it up!

having said that, Ive bought 2 ex-hire cars in the past (v.cheap) and they were sweet as a nut - prolly trashed from day one, but also cos never driven at constant revs/speed by one driver!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Ideally you should do it all in one go to avoid cold starts. Drive to Scotland and back (or England if you live in Scotland).

it is not good to do it all in one go you should let the engine cool and warm up drive at different speeds and loads this is really putting me off buying a second hand 172

ClioSport 182

I think that Im doing everything fine with the running-in of my 182, reading all of the above. However, I remember reading on this forum about an oil change just after the running-in in case any small engine particles have mixed with the oil. The manual, which errs on the side of caution, does not mention this ...

Whats the scoop?

KnightAzul

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quite a few people have the oil & filter changed at 6k miles for this reason (I did). Renault say its totally unnecessary.

Renault tell you to be gently for a few reasons

1) If something breaks it will in the first few K (somthing like 80% of work is needed under 2k miles) so best have it break and do as little damage as possible.

2) Most people will be trading up so there worried about being sued from people who werent used to the extra power and crahsed and say well you teld me to hit 6k leaving the showroom.

3) Why should they its going to have people moaning and disagreeing with them and bedding in there own way so why waste there breath.

4) More poential crases whihc means higer premiums etc so less potential customers as there put of my high premiums.

The motorbike makers (well Suzuki) test there engines to there red line brand new to bed the rings in etc for max power then restict them to 8k or whatever so hammering it was bad for the engine then they wouldnt do it but have a look round a Suzuki motorbike factory and have a look.

Trophy 263 + 265

its your car drive it how you like.

go fast go slow

if it breaks in 3 years they fix it(thats if they dont try and get out of it)

lets face it are you going to keep the car for life?

if not dont worry just enjoy it.

I bedded mine in hard after 150 miles with Ben Rs advice,

simply coz i dont plan to keep the car after 4 years of owning it and aparently the problems will occur about 5 years thru its life (depending on the mileage of course)

and my car has never had a problem (touch wood) and im on 7500.

Mazda MX5 1.8

i drove mine like a nancy boy by the sounds of it! lol

didnt even go to 4.5k until 1600 miles

and now after about 6600 miles ive taken it up to 5.5k wooooo

during the week (only 2.5 miles to work) it never goes above 3k as it never warms up

until about 2k it just didnt rev free enough to sound nice going above 4k so now its free revving and loose it will go as far as i want it to

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 01 June 2004

Ideally you should do it all in one go to avoid cold starts. Drive to Scotland and back (or England if you live in Scotland).

No ta ;)

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

i drove my car slowly untill i hit 400miles

from 401 miles onwards its been absolutely ragged!

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

mine wont redline from cold

cuts out at 4500rpm.......beleive me i tried once wen a nova was up my backside after pulling out in front of him (totally normally) from my street!

was annoyin coz i cudnt pull much at 4500!

182, GTR, C63

Quote: Originally posted by black kro on 01 June 2004

defo agree:

2-5 miles v. easy (depending on how hot).

increase revs gently (half max for min. 500 miles)

vary revs - drive at 50 all day in 5th and youll f**k it up!

having said that, Ive bought 2 ex-hire cars in the past (v.cheap) and they were sweet as a nut - prolly trashed from day one, but also cos never driven at constant revs/speed by one driver!
MMMMM hire cars. My car is warmed up be4 i start driving "enthusiastically" but in the case of hire cars get in slam door give it ful throttle turn key let engine warm up vvvquickly then drive it like you hate it (well you did pay for it and it is sh*t so you do hate it) then get bored of it doing 60 in ova 14 secs so then drive it properly. I once did get a nice lil dci clio that was pretty new with air con and cudnt resist thrashing it round some offroad tracks ( i know, no respect) was great fun good little car. i mastered handbrake turns in the litlle beast!!

ok iv read that and if im honest it reminds me of some of the spam mail you get

EAT THESE PILLS AND YOU TO CAN HAVE A 12" c**k!!!! and it REALLY does work! my GF cant believe the results!!!! etc

now dont get me wrong it might well be true but any muppet can set up web site write an artical and people will believe it, having browsed his website i would not exactly say its got a professional look to it.

id also like to know where he got his results from, yes i know he says he test this that and the other but i could just as easily make a website contridicting all he has said and make it seem just as believable, i could even use the same picks he has and just say the opposite. and 1 last thing who is he can anyone say they have actually heard of motoman as he seems to call himself i know i havent.

what id really like is for someone we know to tell us the truth not just rumors, maybe someone from the people who make all the after market mods(K-tec etc surely they would know) cos i think i would sooner believe them then the might motoman

rag it - you wont have it in 4 years time, so it wont be a problem. bit slefish, however youre the one who spent 13 big ones on it.

williams and trophy

i reckon.........let it warm up all the oil n water from the first start with gentle driving.............once evrythings up to temperature, give a fukkin good thrashing.......go back home, let it cool , and check for any leaks.......if any , sort em then thrash it again, give th ecar to the mrs n let her put the 30-60 mph diferentiating thru the revs bit in.........the boring bit lol.......then thrash it again..lol.bingo.........run in

all IMO and from 1st start on new engine.................buying a new car wont get u this tho unfortunately

Quote: Originally posted by 2 live on 02 June 2004

i reckon.........let it warm up all the oil n water from the first start with gentle driving.............once evrythings up to temperature, give a fukkin good thrashing.......go back home, let it cool , and check for any leaks.......if any , sort em then thrash it again, give th ecar to the mrs n let her put the 30-60 mph diferentiating thru the revs bit in.........the boring bit lol.......then thrash it again..lol.bingo.........run in

all IMO and from 1st start on new engine.................buying a new car wont get u this tho unfortunately

apart from the thrash it when warm iv got no idea what u just said eheheh :)

and regarding not having the car in 4 yrs time.. well whos to say i or anyone else wont..

personaly im buying the car with a view to having it in 3, 4 or maybe 5 years time as i do with all my cars admitedly i might only have it for 18months or so but i dont buy witha view to change it in 2 or less years :)

williams and trophy

Quote: Originally posted by Smokey on 02 June 2004

Please remind me not to buy your car off of you when you come to sell it.
take it u dont like fast cars then hehe;)

172 Exclusive

I just run mine in gently building up the revs over the milage cos i spent alot of money on my conversion ans didnt wanna waste it.

Admittadly i did finish off running my engine in round castle combe but i have no problems with it so far