ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Your "go to" android apps

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
There's probably a thread buried miles deep that's ancient.....so...a new one.

What are your "go to" android apps, ones you cannot live without.

I'm not talking about apps like tapatalk, but more like apps that enhance the whole android experience.

Just wondering if there's another amazing app out there that I've missed!

Mine are:

Nova Launcher
Dashclock
K-9 mail

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
November launcher (pro) for me too. First thing I install on my devices.
Other than that, not much really. I had dash clock on my old nexus but I haven't put it on my 5.
I just use the standard Gmail app too.

I want a decent twitter app that can support three accounts as Falcon only supports two. The official twitter app has been playing up recently for me.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Adfree root - Removes ads!
Airdroid - Transfer files without a cable when I'm being lazy
BetterBatteryStats - Checking for wakelocks
Boeffla Config - For the boeffla kernel I run (use to to alter voltages, enable touch to wake etc etc)
ES File Explorer - Prefer this to any stock variant
LocalCast / AllCast - for streaming to my chromecast
Maildroid - For work emails
Pushbullet - receive notifications on my computer, with another root app I can reply to sms & whatsapp from my PC
Titanium Backup - the best back up and application management program. Can freeze system apps etc
Xposed Installer - For various modules to tweak the OS further.

Clio 172mk2
nova launcher
tesla unread count
lightflow
xposed - remove 5mb limit on emails / stop message delivered toast
tasker - turn wifi off when not at home/work/mates houses / when at home or in car no phone lock / phone to silent when face down
esfile explorer, copy things from network
titanium backup

Clio 172mk2
why would u need wifi on with sat nav ? ?
the locations you can set via gps / network / wifi connected to / bluetooth connected to
theres loads of things you can automate, Llama is sorta same and its free

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
why would u need wifi on with sat nav ? ?
the locations you can set via gps / network / wifi connected to / bluetooth connected to
theres loads of things you can automate, Llama is sorta same and its free

Having WiFi on increases GPS accuracy. Something to do with using both antennas I think.

Clio 172mk2
not heard of that one, but i know it can use wifi same as network to get yer location some times quicker etc if indoors.
tbh its rare i use the sat nav

2014 Focus Titanium
Having WiFi on increases GPS accuracy. Something to do with using both antennas I think.
I'm pretty sure (as Biojo says) all Wifi can do is speed up getting your location if you're connected to a wifi network. Could be wrong though.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
not heard of that one, but i know it can use wifi same as network to get yer location some times quicker etc if indoors.
tbh its rare i use the sat nav
I'm pretty sure (as Biojo says) all Wifi can do is speed up getting your location if you're connected to a wifi network. Could be wrong though.

It's simply Google has a lot of wireless network information stored . So for a new router, the MAC address is shared with Google along with the GPS co-ordinates.

Going forward, this means that Google can use this data to pinpoint your location, particularly when you are indoors as GPS signals will be weak.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
It's simply Google has a lot of wireless network information stored . So for a new router, the MAC address is shared with Google along with the GPS co-ordinates.

Going forward, this means that Google can use this data to pinpoint your location, particularly when you are indoors as GPS signals will be weak.
this. locations of wireless access points are mapped out, and a course location can be generated form the list of AP's your phone can currently see. simple but effective!

My goto apps are K9 mail & Boat Browser. rest is stock / anything that will do the job (like built in stocks/shares app ect.)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Can people explain what ths apps do basically? For us noobs and if they phone needs to be rooted?

Talk to me about Nova rocket launchers!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Can people explain what ths apps do basically? For us noobs and if they phone needs to be rooted?

Talk to me about Nova rocket launchers!

Nova launcher is basically replacing the current home screen. It allows you to hide unused default apps that you can't delete, change the grid size of your home screen and various other things. I don't use most of its features so wouldn't be the best person to explain but a launcher is what controls your home screen.

As above, it replaces Google Home Launcher, or Touchwiz if you're a Samsung user - it's faster, WAY more customizable, and generally nicer to use.

I've just switched back to Nova from the original Google, much better.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Surely that requires rooting? Kind of a major thing to mention surely or is that a given? :eek:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Yep. That's the beauty of Android, you can replace and DISABLE built in Apps. Don't like the default email client, you can replace it...but you can go one better than that and disable it, it's then as if it's not installed, it won't accidentally pop up because something wants to send an email and it picked that one. It's done right.

Nova is essential, it basically mimics the look and feel of the default launcher but adds some much functionality. You can swipe down anywhere to bring the notification panel down (useful!) and like others said, change the grid, make it so the quick launch icons down the button can be swiped left/right to create other pages of quick launchers, change icons/text of applications and you can hide applications from the app screen, create logical pages in the app drawer etc.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Just installed nova launcher. 5mins in and I love it! 100% recommend it to anyone who wants to customise their home screens and menus etc. Can probably do 10 times more than I've already discovered

Also if you want heavily customizable widgets - take a look at Minimalistic Text - does exactly what it says, but you can add all sorts like time, date, etc etc -and style it how you want (if you want a clock for example).

I wanted a clock similar to the default one, but custom size and colours (and the widgets are dumb in that it HAD to be 2x2, I can size this how I want):

qD15i2Zl.jpg

Oh, and if you notice the gmail notifications - search TeslaUnread - a plugin for Nova launcher :smile: does it for all the main apps (facebook, gmail, sms, calls etc) - you can also customize the design of them (fore colour, border, background, size etc).

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Wow! That may be a tad deep a tad quick for a newbie! :eek:

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Wow! That may be a tad deep a tad quick for a newbie! :blush:
I'd defo look into nova launcher Kev. I'm a newbie really as I don't "mess" with phones, but I can honestly say nova has made my N5 even more likeable.

Seems lots of folks like Nova here too :) First thing I do is root my devices and either install a stripped out manufacturer rom or Cyanogen.
Seems all the fairly techy folks run the same stuff so I'll try not to do repeats.
PowerAMP for music.
Chrome to Phone (it does what it sounds like)
Torque (and the Racingmeter Plugin)
Unified Remote (Utterly brilliant app for controlling PCs and other Telestick devices in your home)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I asked for one. I'm pretty sure it was you (maybe Nik or Revels) who said no as it covers too much of a wide range, and then the rest of tech chat would become obsolete.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Now gally has that abomination i need a one stop shop to take the piss.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Problem is if you create an Android section, there will be sod all in the phones and internet section.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Yeah, otherwise where will the blackberry owner and windows phone owners post?

Also when joe bloggs decides to post a thread about his new samsung phone, where does he post it? Phones and Internet, or Android?

It would be like having an iOS section but expecting any thread that might be slightly related to the apple hardware to be in phones and internet, but it if it's software, it goes in the iOS forum.