ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Z4 Quick Clean & More

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Marginally more power in the 3.0Si in the facelifts but second the comment about their being more than enough power in the 3.0 to have fun!

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
We've had both - the Z4 simply is a car you get in and just drive hard and although less "raw" than an S2000 it is great fun. A much more accomplished all rounder if you wanted a two line summary.

In a bit more detail though, the S2000 is slightly more compromised - less predictable I would guess is the best way of describing it in relation to it's handling, although a proper geometry check and alignment works wonders for them (they are very sensitive to changes in geo) - in VTEC zone the engine is just class, ignore the comments about it being s**t when not in VTEC zone, it is perfectly driveable and usable, albeit you will need to drop down a gear or two if you suddenly want to press on and overtake something.

The Z4 is different in the sense of being a bit more grown up, has oodles of power and you can accelerate in pretty much any gear and you're in the power curve. Equipment wise as mentioned above you will get a lot more over an S2000, but tbh the S2000 is about the engine alone really. The Z4 you can get in and don't need to respect so much and you can carry more speed in corners and roundabouts without worrying what the tail is going to do. S2000 gearbox from memory was slicker (it's been a few years since we owned it and going from memory).

A Z4 with the sound generator mod sounds just as good above 3000rpm (maybe even better) than an S2000 in VTEC zone IMO.

Thanks for taking the time to post that!

I currently drive an Integra DC2, and I know all about dropping down a gear or two. Tried to join a motorway in 5th at around 50mph and couldn't accelerate away from a lorry in time so I had to double clutch my way down to 3rd :eek:

I will definitely drive both before making a choice. I do only plan to keep either until say October time (unless I fall in love and sell the DC2 instead)

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Traction control off on these equals very very sideways but stupidly easy to control.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Don't think so bear, the z4m wheels are the third different set I've gone for.

I quite like LM's for it, in 19, but then CSL's look better than that again. I'm pretty happy with the z4m wheels at the moment, if the opinion changes then it'll be 19 next for sure.

BMW_Z4_30i_E85_BBS_LM_1.jpg

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Are they really that easy to control in a slide? I would have thought lack of LSD and short wheel base might get a bit messy?

​That said, they are longer than your average roadster aint they?

ST
Don't think so bear, the z4m wheels are the third different set I've gone for.

I quite like LM's for it, in 19, but then CSL's look better than that again. I'm pretty happy with the z4m wheels at the moment, if the opinion changes then it'll be 19 next for sure.

BMW_Z4_30i_E85_BBS_LM_1.jpg

Well it's a fine looking bus no less on the ///M wheels x

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Looks brilliant Robert. Well done on drilling into your car lol! I had to have help when drilling mine. Couldn't bring myself to do it :p

Looks great.. Think ill get mine detailed. . Not got the skills to try it myself.. or the time

want me to give you a shout when I stock up on my cleaning gear? I can't do correction but ill get all the contaminants off your car and dress everything that needs dressing

Z4
God dammit your rapidly catching up with my spec!
Once you've got the xenons you'll need:Bluetooth&phone, m sport multifunctional wheel & 10 speaker setup! I believe yours is already sitting on m sport springs?

Looks super.

Are your mirrors auto fold? Mine aren't, probably just coding?

On a side note, I was washing the car the other day, kneeling down and the roof started going down, wtf! Turns out I was pressing the key in my pocket, I didn't even realise it did it off the key lol, bonus

I think your review on how the z4 drives is spot on. I'd possibly even go as far to say that I enjoy driving the 3.0 on the road more than the M. I've got some new tyres sitting in the garage for mine, so I need to wear out the rest of the old one, RWD style :D there's a deserted airfield near me so that should be fun, may post vids.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
God dammit your rapidly catching up with my spec!
Once you've got the xenons you'll need:Bluetooth&phone, m sport multifunctional wheel & 10 speaker setup! I believe yours is already sitting on m sport springs?

Looks super.

Are your mirrors auto fold? Mine aren't, probably just coding?

On a side note, I was washing the car the other day, kneeling down and the roof started going down, wtf! Turns out I was pressing the key in my pocket, I didn't even realise it did it off the key lol, bonus

I think your review on how the z4 drives is spot on. I'd possibly even go as far to say that I enjoy driving the 3.0 on the road more than the M. I've got some new tyres sitting in the garage for mine, so I need to wear out the rest of the old one, RWD style :D there's a deserted airfield near me so that should be fun, may post vids.

LOL! Getting there mate, chasing spec is a fun but expensive game. I won't be going bluetooth as I have no need or intention to use it. I don't think I'll bother with the full speaker upgrade either but something may be coming. M wheel is coming at some point soon, it's just a lot of money. Oh, and yes, I already have the m sport springs :)

My roof has been modded with the gaptech kit, so it's now one touch inside, and three taps unlock to open, two unlock and one lock to close. Weird yours works off the key, just hold it down?

My mirrors don't fold with the key no, I think you can code it though as you say. Can't say I mind it the way it is though.

Personally I'm winning wheel wise, and having an ID colour interior ;) (and I'll have brembos soon too)

Airfield? Jealous of that! Definitely take some video's, it'll be good to see one get a good thrashing.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Whats the engine in this? Looks great by the way!

I have a friend who is looking at a 2.2 SE?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ooft, I'm late to the party too. Looks damn fine. Damn fine indeed. Wheels really do look great, OEM but very purposeful. It's no flamer though ;)

Thanks chap. I'm pretty settled with the wheels now, it's just buying more tyres that scares me ;) haha!

Realise it's no flamer, but what can I do? I'm not buying another clio ffs

Whats the engine in this? Looks great by the way!

I have a friend who is looking at a 2.2 SE?

Honestly, I'd touch nothing below the 2.5. But really honestly, I wouldn't buy anything below the 3.0. There's just no point.

The 3.0 will cost the same to run but be considerably more fun, it'll hold value better and it'll undoubtedly be better spec'd up.

There's 4 different six pot options, 2.2 2.5 3.0 3.0si and the 4 pot is the 2.0.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Thanks chap. I'm pretty settled with the wheels now, it's just buying more tyres that scares me ;) haha!

Don't buy 19" wheels then lol, I bought mine when I first got it as backs were getting low, 3 mot's later and they are still in shed unused..

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
What performance upgrades would you recommend for these? Im pretty clueless but as Im probably keeping it forever I thought I might throw some pennies at it..

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
They're not the most mod-friendly engine TBH. Eibachs are raved about, but that depends if you can live with it being any lower, a remap is supposed to be good for driveability but not monumentally life changing.

If you fancy something more serious, e46 m3 rear diff, z4m prop. Easy way to get an LSD and apparently it makes things awesome.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
They're not the most mod-friendly engine TBH. Eibachs are raved about, but that depends if you can live with it being any lower, a remap is supposed to be good for driveability but not monumentally life changing.

If you fancy something more serious, e46 m3 rear diff, z4m prop. Easy way to get an LSD and apparently it makes things awesome.

LSD seem to get raved about, need some research, cheers mate.. Mind you Im not even sure whats on it at the moment?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I like this Rob, very nice.

I love the fact that you still have orange s**t on each corner. I've always been comfortable with orange on/around the corners myself.

But according to CS folk lore that makes you gayer than gay...something I've never understood.

Z4
A normal open diff. Do you track it? Are you bothered by lap times? If not don't bother.

Agree with that.
On the road you're not going to need a LSD in a z4, there's not enough power, or weight to warrant it. I've rarely spun up the inside wheel by accident! Would be useful in the snow, that's about it unless tracking it. Rwd doesn't need LSD as essentially as a fwd car IMO, not unless you're running at least M power.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Agree with that.
On the road you're not going to need a LSD in a z4, there's not enough power, or weight to warrant it. I've rarely spun up the inside wheel by accident! Would be useful in the snow, that's about it unless tracking it. Rwd doesn't need LSD as essentially as a fwd car IMO, not unless you're running at least M power.

Its about 300bhp I think, previous owner claimed 315??? Doubt it will see a track so thanks for advice.. Just a valet it is then :)