ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Z4M Roadster

So as most of you know, after the panzer left me a week or so ago, I picked up a Z4M Roadster. Few quick details;

56 plate
Interlagos blue
54k miles
Cruise
Bluetooth
Black fully electric and heated seats
BiXenon
Completely standard

The initial pick up of the car wasn't quite as happy as I'd have liked. The guy was a prick basically and got agitated when I took my time going around the car with a fine toothed comb... Dumb suggestions of us getting a taxi back to station, etc. Idiot. Anyway, after being happy with the car, we drove it back to London in the sunset, AWAKs low fly over and hood down over tower bridge! Fab journey with dad driving most of the way to give him a good run out, as he'd travelled so far to join me!

f577134daa539b58a47d7b585411ffeb.jpg

It then did a couple of basic journeys around London (sub 20 mins) before having Pirelli winter tyres fitted on Saturday morning and a four hour journey N->S for Xmas.

First impressions? It's a totally different car to the Panzer. Different scale altogether. With four hours to get used to it, initial bullet points (as they affect me personally)

- it's a very compliant ride. The s3 was under damped and over sprung, so wallowed in the corners yet banged over bumps. This doesn't. Although you do feel quite a bit of the surface so can feel grabby/jumpy at 9Xmph. The B road route back from
The M6 to Alderley was like nothing is experienced before and overtaking slow movers on the small bits of straight a roads was an absolute breeze.

- the seats are uber comfortable, having front and rear height adjustment with helps with pedal position etc everything is also perfectly within reach, from the stalks and cruise to radio/hvac etc.

- the handling is just divine. It inspires confidence even with my nervousness of rwd over my "foot down anywhere" Quattro. The steering feels infinitely more connected and there is no knock that I chased for years. The winter tyres appear to be fine but no real world use of them yet as it's been so mild.

- the engine and exhaust notes are incredible and very difficult to not play with constantly... And the power delivery is so smooth, coming from nothing nothing nothing BOOST. It's also quite a weird sensation when you put your foot down. You get the mechanical S54 engine note, the needles move but you've no idea you're doing 100+ until other cars disappear and approach particularly quickly. Something I'll need to keep an eye on to preserve my licence!

- the brakes appear to be very efficient so far but are known to cook easily, albeit on track

- there is no space in the boot. @Rob 's is better as the ///M relocates the batter and fuse box to the boot...!

- there is no space anywhere inside for wallets/sunglasses etc without having to reach over to the glove box

A few pics from tonight, dirty.

f1f1d809118ab1113f75270bd7ecdc87.jpg

8b2443330f4b634c56a770c52f69b0c0.jpg

6dc24b49d95e1d29ebbaca15178963c3.jpg

2cef5bf6f01395a28b8b30fc3757ca2b.jpg

d4fab9cc633051ef35c87ada61abd9f6.jpg

2bafdf383a4deab9621f5a304203ed1c.jpg

b63fa30dc41a40fddf85465caf3877eb.jpg

A few things have been bought. There was a Gruppe buy on intakes (see what I did there?) so felt it was worth spending the money now while they're cheap...er!

fe1d06ac25904716f7334d0d50e6012d.jpg

///M mods are certainly not cheap, but at the price in the group buy it was simple maths. I can sell it for more if I dislike it.

The paint needs a decent sort out detailing wise, so all bits ordered and arrived to replenish the supplies, so I'll get into that over the coming days.

637e0bac289cf30feaae06fffc07e4b3.jpg

A few interior minor mods that came as part of a £££ upgraded storage pack. Useful for phone cradles - so a few £ later from BMW on eBay;

44bbddb773f62cbcb1be0465da099c43.jpg

732fe7d2715a2b99ec6e3820356fb86d.jpg

88b3e67ee653c7273046df3a3632163e.jpg

c3ef5d16ad0196dd02b55310646ab8d7.jpg

30 mins to fit including taking photos. May seem basic but it just makes life easier.

The other minor bits are a bit of coding in options;

- three flash turn signal
- auto lock on drive off
- visual arm (disarm is already highlighted)
- home coming lights 40secs

And work out why my iPhone 6 doesn't pair with the Bluetooth but other phones do. Seems to be a known issue with ios8.

Again, other than that, it'll be kept clean and standard. Hoping to just enjoy it and see how prices go over the coming 2-3 years before another house and perhaps a shiny something for the gf need to be thought about!

Will update with better pics once detailed!

Cheers all.

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
I loved mine, and with an induction kit the sound is just awesome. Never felt it really needed an exhaust after fitting that.

I have an iPod connection kit still upstairs if you need one, the intravee.

Am sure you are well up to speed on it, but make sure you check the drains for blockage as that will save your roof motor from drowning :smile:

Seeing that definitely makes me want one again! Roof down motoring in winter is great fun.

Edit: spotted the carbon leather dash too, really nice addition that, supposedly really rare too but I had it on mine and do seem to see quite a few with it.

^ God no, don't waste your money.

Lovely purchase mate, big fan of the ///M seats! Nice colour too. The one thing I will say was that I was actually a tad underwhelmed by the noise if I'm honest, it sounds great, but just not quite what I was expecting (decent engine note but slightly tinny exhaust sound). Not a criticism, just an observation.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Love it JD. With the roof down its such a cracking timeless shape.

I do prefer grey and black but that's gonna look epic once "clean".

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Nice, I haven't driven for a an extended drive but I found the handling good but not great.

Looks fantastic. Out of curiosity the 3.0 coupes must be pretty cheap nowadays.

335i touring
Nice motor. You'll have to get some videos up with the gruppe m fitted. Would have been tempted with the group buy if I had seen it in time.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
How much was that GruppeM? I could have saved you a lot of money JD!!!

supercharger kit on the cards? 570hp out of this puppy! http://vf-engineering.com/other-bmw/z4m/

No this has plenty of power for me!

I loved mine, and with an induction kit the sound is just awesome. Never felt it really needed an exhaust after fitting that.

I have an iPod connection kit still upstairs if you need one, the intravee.

Am sure you are well up to speed on it, but make sure you check the drains for blockage as that will save your roof motor from drowning :smile:

Seeing that definitely makes me want one again! Roof down motoring in winter is great fun.

Edit: spotted the carbon leather dash too, really nice addition that, supposedly really rare too but I had it on mine and do seem to see quite a few with it.

That is chap - I haven't got satnav so not sure the intravee will do mine much good - have Bluetooth although waiting for this to work with ios8!

Love it JD. With the roof down its such a cracking timeless shape.

I do prefer grey and black but that's gonna look epic once "clean".

2636ae52d2e668dd761427886467c4de.jpg

c5dfe661249512dc2721fd1eaef4729c.jpg

Fuckin A mazin.

You doing the paint up T'north?

Given it a one dayer here while I had a spare day. I'll do a brief write up later. Will need a decent going over summer time I think!

How much was that GruppeM? I could have saved you a lot of money JD!!!

Texted!

I'm after this exact car/colour in two years from now (when a loan is paid off).

If you've still got it, might make you an offer then.

These are my realistic dream car.

Not sure where you're based chap but more than happy to take you out at a meet. It'll be staying a good few years.

Touché.

Great car.

Terrible shoes.

Ta!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I was going to say fresh plates needed.
Awesome upgrade though mate. Bet you cannot wait for summer. I'd be planning a UK road trip already..

I was going to say fresh plates needed.
Awesome upgrade though mate. Bet you cannot wait for summer. I'd be planning a UK road trip already..

Or a French one ;) champagne region in April with a friends Brera. Three of us so enough room for what we pick up!

@JD what's the story with running costs/servicing etc?

That's what's put me off in the past, and swayed me towards the 3.0 over the M.

Isnt servicing (the inspections) hideously expensive, along with brakes etc?

Yet, I'm still correct.
I swear the photo you showed me was a hard top??

Nope!

@JD what's the story with running costs/servicing etc?

That's what's put me off in the past, and swayed me towards the 3.0 over the M.

Isnt servicing (the inspections) hideously expensive, along with brakes etc?

Insp1 is £5-700 for a oil filter etc change. But the indies check timing and shims so quite a lot of work.

Rear brakes I've been quoted £300 ish, fronts are £700 ish.

I've got a broken rear spring that I'll have to throttle the dealer for in warranty (9 days old), replaced in pairs from bmw main dealer, would be £396. So yes it's got it's expenses.

Not a 320d
Bloke that lives in my flat complex has an interlagos Z4MC and the paintwork looks like that (fucked). Asked me where I had mine cleaned. One of those moments where you have to be careful people dont report you to local lunatic asylum.

What did you detail it with?

AS if you have winters on it.....

Looks great Mr JD. Hope youre enjoying it.

Bloke that lives in my flat complex has an interlagos Z4MC and the paintwork looks like that (fucked). Asked me where I had mine cleaned. One of those moments where you have to be careful people dont report you to local lunatic asylum.

What did you detail it with?

AS if you have winters on it.....

Looks great Mr JD. Hope youre enjoying it.

Loving it chap. Few minor things to sort to get it how I want.

Detailed with some 2500 menz, the DA and hex to start then got bored so whipped out the rotary and 3M yellow. Finished with Tripple via da on black hex and Reload. Not perfect but fifty times better.

Wheels need to come off as they've left all the wheel weight gunk on them. Arches need a wash. Pipes need time spent to get the looming 100% including work with a mothers ball on the inside.

Genuinely have winters on. Front and back. Pirelli soto somethings.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Always wanted one of these, I had the 3.0si sport coupe and it was a mega car! Still had a plenty of punch but I would imagine the z4m is mental!