ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Z4M Roadster

Nice to see im not the only one putting the hour's in. [emoji1]
Lol, yeah, happy fricking new year to us buddy!
Why the hell are you taking it to BMW for rear springs?!
A/ it's a known issue and an ///M - people on the forum ask if they've been done, so come sale time, I want to say "yes" with BMW stamps.
It's JD, money grows out of his pores.
iWish.
I assumed it was warranty work .. but roffleburgers at that hourly rate.
Ant doesn't charge half that...!
It is warranty work - long short of it PM'd.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
it's a known issue and an ///M - people on the forum ask if they've been done, so come sale time, I want to say "yes" with BMW stamps.
Still seems madness to me. I'd just say yes and here is the receipt. You are welcome to check.
How many hours labour are they predicting? Probably 3 knowing BMW.
Changing the springs is a 5 min job anyway.
True but they'll still take forever. Audi quoted me 30 mins to adjust the aim on my washer jets. It took me 10 seconds.

Listerine & Poledo
Unless it's got some sort of pauper rear suspension set-up, swapping out a pair of springs isn't the work of a moment, surely.
Strut out. Swap springs, strut back in....even on my Tesco Value roadster that's a good couple of hours

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Unless it's got some sort of pauper rear suspension set-up, swapping out a pair of springs isn't the work of a moment, surely.
Strut out. Swap springs, strut back in....even on my Tesco Value roadster that's a good couple of hours
Independent spring and strut on these so it is a quick job..

A five minute job it might be, but I don't want to do it and don't have the current weekends free to go see a certain gem of a lad in Tillbury.
@TomSx they've quoted half an hour all in. Which is still £90. But I feel it's a small price to pay for what seem like anal ///M fans when I come to sell. I see it as almost a recall claim as it's such a wide spread/widely know issue - did you let Audi change and upgrade the coilpacks or did I DIY it... personal preference and all that. Meh.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
A five minute job it might be, but I don't want to do it and don't have the current weekends free to go see a certain gem of a lad in Tillbury.
@TomSx they've quoted half an hour all in. Which is still £90. But I feel it's a small price to pay for what seem like anal ///M fans when I come to sell. I see it as almost a recall claim as it's such a wide spread/widely know issue - did you let Audi change and upgrade the coilpacks or did I DIY it... personal preference and all that. Meh.

Oh for £90.00 i'd probably be the same. Bet it takes longer though..;)

Oh for £90.00 i'd probably be the same. Bet it takes longer though..:wink:
If it does, I'm not bloody paying. I've been quoted what I've been quoted. Even been given the job time code for some unbeknown reason.
Although interesting you've said that - they said I couldn't book in on a Saturday "in case it takes longer". I told her I couldn't book it in any other day, so am happy to wait with it on a Saturday morning. If it does take longer, I'll have a courtesy car at their c**k up expense.

Listerine & Poledo
ha!
quotes are estimates fella, you'll pay what they charge or find a freshly curled turd buried behind the cockpit carpet, nice and close to the heaters.

ha!
quotes are estimates fella, you'll pay what they charge or find a freshly curled turd buried behind the cockpit carpet, nice and close to the heaters.

You know me well enough to realise that I won't stand for bull s**t, particularly from dealershits.

Listerine & Poledo
That's as maybe, but kick off at them about £90 and next time you bulkhead the throttle dont be surprised if the bullshit goes all up your leg ;)
Damn I'm good at exaggeration.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
As above, rear spring is a five min job.

Yes, mine are std. if you need them, give me a shout...(There in a shed somewhere)

Ye of little faith. £65 cheaper and aircon regassed FOC because of the wait (asked them to do it as was on offer @ £89). Just delays getting it on the Ramps apparently.

Springs on, genuinely feels stiffer at the back, as I'm basically say over it. Few controlled rolling breaks in traction on the way back as I'm starting to get more used to the power etc.

Roof down there and back of course!

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
That's pretty decent of BMW then. Nice to hear good things. TBH Sytner have always sorted my out with mine Z4M, Alpina D3 BiTurbo and the two MINIs I have had. But wouldn't want to add up what I have spent there.

Really makes me miss mine. Think M3 is next on the cards so same engine

Finally got a chance to clean off all the Xmas crud.

f08cf3d34f9a23dd4767a3541bd7d6fc.jpg

a187e48d9d9e7c8dfe9712f25472f0cd.jpg

So a few updates to this.

First of all, the springs were replaced as above and the car genuinely feels stiffer and better at the rear. It ended up costing me the same as going to an Indy due to the warranty company paying for half of it, which was a nice surprise on Saturday when the cheque came through. Also had the aircon regassed.

Next on the tidy up bits that it needs (important word) is the screen, as it's got loads of pin prick chips in it. The car did (from reading between the lines of the history) a decent amount of motorway miles in its first few years on this planet so to be expected. Easy £75 from the insurance, but need to make sure AG do a decent job with OEM BMW seals supplied, rather than crap, non-fitting aftermarket items.

Next, there are so many "small" bits that you can add to these, it's getting ridiculous. And expensive. Again, important word; want. Not need.
The list so far, some of which I've bought and fitted;

- BMW OEM LED rear number plate lights - bought
- ZHP F10 M5 gear knob - ordering from the US
- BMW OEM stubby aerial - bought
- New third brake light as they are known for being over tightened and causing small cracks and chips, which mine suffers from - bought
- M3 E46 strut brace and ///M strut covers

Then it starts to get silly, as the above are small amounts, relatively...

- Aero side skirts, which, particularly on dark colours, look 100x better than the standard ones
- PDC, I'd really like and you can buy a retrofit kit which supplies OEM parts... £300+ plus fitting. I feel I'd see that back based on spec versus market worth
- Folding electric mirrors with chromatic dimming - £500+ plus fitting

Then I'd like to refurb the alloys, space them 10mm on each wheel, yada yada yada...

On the not "being stupid" vane, I took the car out for a blast with a mate (yes @Alan with the roof down 100% of the time) towards Woking. Great day on Sunday, decent whether, average roads but fine for what we wanted, pub lunch and then back into London. It's such a cracking car, it really is. Unbelievably capable cross country, destroys motorways and catches and passes 100+MPH 350Z that bomb passed you with ease...

3e4e2841d619fc5aebd9197cc18e818f.jpg

45f5ca23222058a4379358cfbaef6cb4.jpg

Crap video of the noise with the GruppeM... Must try harder;

100% the best vehicle decision I've made so far.

Listerine & Poledo
At least, on balance, it's not the down-syndrome-spec Z4.
The ones they did when folding hard tops were first released.