ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

One question iPhone/iPT thread.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Re: iPhone Software 3.0 - Out 17/6 & iPhone 3GS - Out 19/6

As an iphone virgin, do applications etc take up much space? I don't know whether i should get the 16gb or 32gb, I only have like 4gb of music to put on it so thats like 8gb of free space.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

It's possible but I think Apple are wanting to force 1st gen iPhone owners to upgrade and have removed several of the 3.0 options from them, MMS for one.

The accessory protocol is not one of the things crippled though.

It's all conjecture though, what I can tell you though (from working in the electronics industry) is that if you don't need a component (no matter how big/small, cheap or expensive), you don't fit it. If a GPS module only costs $15 in bulk, but it's not needed, then it's $15 more in your pocket.

Wish their f**king website was clearer though, just from the pure geeky interest. :eek:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Mystery solved.

It does indeed have a GPS module in it.

Edit:

And the app is going to be available at the same time at the V3 firmware becomes available to the general public. The cradle will follow later.

Last edited:
  Scirocco 2.0 tsi

Can anyone explain to me exactly what internet Tethering is.

the way it reads is,

I can set up my internet account on my phone, go to a hotel, plug my iphone into the phone socket and it acts as a wireless modem giving me access to my own wifi internet anywhere where i can get plugged into a phone socket?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Can anyone explain to me exactly what internet Tethering is.

the way it reads is,

I can set up my internet account on my phone, go to a hotel, plug my iphone into the phone socket and it acts as a wireless modem giving me access to my own wifi internet anywhere where i can get plugged into a phone socket?

Connect your iPhone to your Laptop (via Bluetooth or USB) and then surf the net using the iPhones data connection.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi

Connect your iPhone to your Laptop (via Bluetooth or USB) and then surf the net using the iPhones data connection.

Which is pretty damn slow compared to a normal connection and therefore relatively useless?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Which is pretty damn slow compared to a normal connection and therefore relatively useless?

Depends, if you're on 3G it's not bad - you have to look at the bigger picture though, if you're a business customer then £14 a month is a bargain over paying £10 each time you want to use the net in a hotel, if you travel a lot and require internet access it's a no brainer.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi

Spose when you look at it that way, to your average non business user its not much use though. So back to my other question:

As an iphone virgin, do applications etc take up much space? I don't know whether i should get the 16gb or 32gb, I only have like 4gb of music to put on it so thats like 8gb of free space.

Re: iPhone Q&A DONT START ONE QUESTION IPHONE THREADS. **POST HERE**

OK, looking for a little help with some (most likey noobish) questions.

I had an iPhone 1st gen before they came out here, jailbroken etc etc. Sold it a few weeks later for nearly twice what I paid lol! Back then there wasn't a lot going for them besides the UI really. Not many apps blah blah.

However, with the new 3GS coming out and a contract ending in about 6 hours I am thinking about coming back to the fold.

So to the questions. And before anyone answers please be aware that I DO NOT want to jailbreak it, I want it too all be nice and original lol.

So can I now send items by bluetooth? Music, pics, vids etc?

Can you set your own wallpapers? If so is that for the main menu or the screen where you slide to unlock or both?

Is there bluetooth audio streaming yet?

Can you use any bluetooth headset or handsfree? For example my headunit.

Think that's it for now. If you need an app for anything that's fine, aslong as it doesn't require jailbreaking.

Seem like rediculous questions to ask about todays phones but hey.

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

just spoke to someone from apple, said there is no point in buying the new phone if you already have the 3g as the update covers all the same software as the 3g,s the only difference is the 3mp video camera and if picture quality or video doesnt bother you then its pointless. The quality may be less but apparantly every trick that the new camera has, the software update will do the same :D

ps, oh yeah forgot about the new battery :/

Last edited:

Can't send files via Bluetooth.

Can have custom images for lockscreen, but not sure on the internal one.

Yeh, there is bluetooth audio streaming.

Yup, any headset/handsfree I believe.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Spose when you look at it that way, to your average non business user its not much use though. So back to my other question:

Depends on the App! Small apps, couple of MB, bigger apps tens of megabytes, in the grand scale of things, you're not going to fill it or come even close to filling it with normal apps/games.

My rule of thumb is always go for the biggest you can. I've got a 16GB and it's constantly full.

i got the 16gb to be safe and surprisingly already well past 10gb so yeh do as snoop says.
and oh yeah dont get it in white :( no point covering it up and it gets wrecked otherwise

Cheers Revels! :)

So my headunit can be used to the full by using it as a handsfree and streaming music, I can have any picture as a background but I can't send things.

Being more and more swayed. Anything else it doesn't/can't do that most phones do these days?

Thanks again

Citroen DS3 DSport

the only difference is the 3mp video camera and if picture quality or video doesnt bother you then its pointless. The quality may be less but apparantly every trick that the new camera has, the software update will do the same :D

Someone at Apple told you that? I'll not sit around waiting for my 3G iPhone camera to gain the miracle of touch screen auto focus. I hope you meant to type iPhone rather than camera?

Tappd'd RS

I called about an upgrade today and i'm just weighing up my options. I think I need 32gigs in my life to get all 18gigs of my iTunes library onto the phone and leave some space for rental movies etc.

I've got an iPov at the moment (3G, 8gig in Black). How much do you think it will be worth? It's only 6 months old as it was a warranty replacement for my launch day 3G.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Ooh, Find My iPhone is fun! lol

SLK 350

Right, you can upgrade your 2.2.1 software to version 3.0GM using iTunes 8.2.

Hackint0sh said:
REALLY IMPORTANT - TURN OFF YOUR ROUTER/LINK

For those wo wants to upgrade to the newest version of OS 3.
I will explain my situation.
1. Iphone 3g with 2.2.1 JB firmware, never updated to betas
2. OS.3.0 downloaded from Megaupload
3.You need a backup of you iphone
4.Press alt and then restore to restore your phone with new firmware
5. Don't worry about internet connection
6. wait 10 minutes for the restoring time
7. your iphone will be automatically rebooted
8. make sure that it is plugged to itunes e maintain it plugged.
9. wait 2 minutes and you iphone will be unlockend.

I won't have troubles with this guide, i don't have any response about your action
it is at your own risk, this is just my experience

I tried it and it worked fine for moi, obviously can't offer any warranty, but it works fine. The only thing you'll need is the IPSW, it's up and down on various sites (MegaUpload/Rapidshare but also on usual places TPB) just make sure it's the correct version (7A341 is for 3G).

Can't promise it won't fubar your phone come the official update, but I'm 95% sure they'd not run the risk of screwing our the dev community for a 0.25% minority of eager beavers.

Rav4

Quicker processor and more ram?

I know mine gets quite slow.

I wonder if there is going to be much performance difference with TomTom between the versions.......

just spoke to someone from apple, said there is no point in buying the new phone if you already have the 3g as the update covers all the same software as the 3g,s the only difference is the 3mp video camera and if picture quality or video doesnt bother you then its pointless. The quality may be less but apparantly every trick that the new camera has, the software update will do the same :D

ps, oh yeah forgot about the new battery :/

197 cup/ skoda Fab vrs

i hope we can preorder!!! cant be assed to get the tent out of the garage:D

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182

Ive heard CPW are starting pre-orders tomorrow

SLK 350

Loving 3.0, I actually searched my mailbox with my bellend today...simply because I could!

SLK 350

Nein, I will be though. Got it cleared by work so going to get the Enterprise package and see what we can build. Also going to try and wangle myself a new 13" MBP ;)

Just updated as per method I posted on Page 43.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Nein, I will be though. Got it cleared by work so going to get the Enterprise package and see what we can build. Also going to try and wangle myself a new 13" MBP ;)

Just updated as per method I posted on Page 43.

You do realise that the Enterprise programme is only for private in-company distribution?

Running Xcode on a 13" screen is nasty too, better add a f**k off cinema display to the list of things to wangle! lol

GW RS200

Can't believe everyone craves so much storage. Can I make a claim of being the only one here who has an iPhone without a single musical track on it?! Of course this means I still have several gigs of my 8 left too!

SLK 350

I do indeed sn00p, we've got a few ideas for an app to query our CRM. Plus if we ehm...manage to make any games, we 're able to dish them out without the need for Appstoring it.

Got 2x20" monitors on my desk, along with another spare. Should be reet :)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

I do indeed sn00p, we've got a few ideas for an app to query our CRM. Plus if we ehm...manage to make any games, we 're able to dish them out without the need for Appstoring it.

result = [[NSString alloc] initWithString:mad:"Good Good."];

Add a proper sized keyboard into the mix to, I hate writing code on a laptop, sucks big style - I also prefer american apple keyboards too, mainly bcause '#' is accessible on shift+2 rather than option+2.

Have fun.

Merc A class

Is it true if you have a 13" Macbook aluminum you can swap it for the 13" macbook pro? if its still in the 30 days you have bought it?

Due to the new macbook pro been cheaper?

Rav4

Can only use one screen though with the macbook :s

Citroen DS3 DSport

Do I buy a PAYG iPhone 3GS or a 13" MBP? I can't afford both.

Barge

Don't do it to yourself! LOL. Don't force yourself to choose! :(

Steal the MBP. ;)

Is the PAYG 3GS out on the 19th aswell?

Im off on the 19th so im thinking about pitching a tent outside the O2 shop.

The 3G is obsolete now... I NEED the 3GS

Barge

Out on the 19th yep. Thread title. ;) I've asked for a day off specially. Haiii Geek.

OMG OMG OMG

Im gonna use the compass to find my way home...

Im off on the Friday anyways so its all worked out quite well

Needster, you can share my tent if you can get the day off ;)

Barge

Day off was approved immediately. Metro Centre, 8.30am, opens at 9. Win.

Same here... ill see you there...

Im also going to get some Pandora cos I want to be totally fashionable