ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16V 3rd gear speed.

320d
How fast can you go in 3rd gear in your 1.2 16V's, i usually change up at around 70 mph which is about 5750 rpm (only when i'm going for it not all the time), two people in work who have 1.2 16V's say that can get 80-85 MPH in 3rd which i think is way out because it will be hitting the limiter, i havnt hit it yet so am not sure where exactly it is but it still seems way out to achieve those speeds. They have the <2004 version of the engine though and i have the 2004> version.

cant see the 1.2 getting 85 in 3rd , maybe wrong though but RS's will topout 96ish from their 2.0litres

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
yup 70mph indicated seems to ring a bell. cant say i really pay that much attention though

ST
Old women on electric shopping carts at full chat can dent most 1.2 drivers ego's i've heard..

Last edited:

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
my clio gets just over 80 in 3rd, thats a bit into the red line but nowhere near where the limiter kicks in.

edit: it reads 80, we all know i am probably only travelling at 46mph if measured correctly.

MK3 Sport Tourer TCE
My 1.2 doesn't have a red area on the rev counter either, how far can you safely take it?

Don't think I've ever pushed the car past 5000rpm in any gear :eek:

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Yours sounds about right. My 1.4 is 8v so about same power to yours and mine does around 70-something in 3rd. I don't normally thrash to red line tho, seems faster to change just after 5k.

Clio 1.2 16v
iv redlined mine plenty of times, obvisly i didnt mean to but you try keeping up with your mates 1.8 306. i found its best to change gear at about 5.5k, wouldnt go to much higher because you seem to start loosing power

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Hitting the limiter a few times to see where it is won't hurt the car, that's what it's there for, to stop you doing damage :) Having said that, I've never hit it in the Vee, because it'll rev over 7k without getting there, and I just can't bring myself to rev any further. Also, there is no point because you're way past peak power then anyway heh.

Dan

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
3rd on a 1.2 16v clio is 10.91 mph per 1000 rpm ,so if you ragged it to 7000rpm it would be doing 76.37 mph ( 80 odd mph showing on speedo)

Shed.
How fast can you go in 3rd gear in your 1.2 16V's, i usually change up at around 70 mph which is about 5750 rpm (only when i'm going for it not all the time), two people in work who have 1.2 16V's say that can get 80-85 MPH in 3rd which i think is way out because it will be hitting the limiter, i havnt hit it yet so am not sure where exactly it is but it still seems way out to achieve those speeds. They have the <2004 version of the engine though and i have the 2004> version.

just above 6 thou and itll redline. 80mph (im pretty sure) is the top speed in 3rd.

youll then manage about 90 in 4th, and itll then go all the way 9eventually) to 106mph.

f**k everyone that says otherwise, ill go video it.

Shed.
Can't see doing it everyday being benficial to the engine :p

IS peak power in the 1.2 not about 4100rpm?

it has no power to start with, but i think the end of the powerband

(hahaha i said power, i ment slowmotion)

is at about 5 and a half form my EXPERIENCE

320d
i dont take my car about 6000 rpm to be honest though it just doesnt sound good, also maximum power is at 5500 rpm so your better changing to 4th at 6000 rpm which is about 70 ish

M

mini-valver

I tedn to rev to about 100rpm before the limiter in mine (6750) which is a 1600. IIRC it's about 85....

Shed.
th_MOV01165.jpg

there. THE PERSON it on the airfield behind THE PERSONS house. Btw whats the song called ??

first bit is redlining it in 3rd. then it goes on to redlining it in 2nd a little later, and then just trying to re-iterate how much pain i have to go through when accelerating.

Shed.
my 1.4 16v does 85 in 3rd it does it a hell of alot faster than that 1.2 though!

aye. different gears to go with extra power. the 1.4 16v has a lot of poke for what it is actually. i was impressed with dan's when he took me out in it and it picks up far better than mine does.

H22A7 Accord Type R
mine used to get booted to around 6K.......but then that IS where my peak Power was ;)

RRoadgraph.jpg

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
I got the better side of 75mph just before 6k on my 1.2 8v, reckon it could read 80 mph in 3rd gear, thing is tom tom was saying that i was doing 62mph when the speedo was reading 70mph down the motorway the other night so i wouldn't belive a genuine 80 mph out of 3rd :eek:

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
3rd on a 1.2 16v clio is 10.91 mph per 1000 rpm ,so if you ragged it to 7000rpm it would be doing 76.37 mph ( 80 odd mph showing on speedo)
As i said before, 3 rd is geared for 10.91 mph per 1000 rpm as per renault tech sheet for a 1.2 16v clio , speedo readings don't mean sh-it

Shed.
As i said before, 3 rd is geared for 10.91 mph per 1000 rpm as per renault tech sheet for a 1.2 16v clio , speedo readings don't mean sh-it

aye. it doesnt really matter. the car is a f**king bucket anyways.

slow ass car.