ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v or 1.5dci Extreme/ Dynamique.

Ad

MK2 FRS

Am looking into ordering my new clio in the next 4 weeks and not sure which to go for. Am doing approx 16000miles a year so am considering the diesel on cost grounds and that the performance isnt that different. Has anyone driven both of these???

1.5 diesel for the motorway, mor torque ( i would think, not to speced up on the lower *prepare for gun fire* clios)

less fuel consumption!? (is it proved?)
taller gearing and more relaxed....plus, itll give you a reason not to rag it....or maybe more!

Ford Fiesta

id go for petrol just cos i hate diesel cars. have u already got a dynamique or will it be your first?

Renault Laguna Coupe

A guy at work has got the diesel it is incredibly economical - I think he gets around 60mpg average.

Ad

MK2 FRS

I already have a 1.2 16v dynamique. Done 13500 miles in 9mths. Basically I was gonna change it in Nov when my free insurance comes up for renewal, but I had a small accident last week so basically I can chage it earlier than I expected. Also I want to start to build up my no-claims asap so can save a couple of mths.
Will look into the fuel consumption figures, as presumed it would be more economical.

Ad

MK2 FRS

Here are the renault offical figures:
Extreme 1.5dci£9745otr)
Extra Urban: 76.3 mpg
Urban: 53.3 mpg
Combined: 65.7

Extreme 1.2 16v: (£9045otr)
Extra Urban 57.6
Urban: 36.2
Combined: 47.9

Certainly the dci wins on fuel economy. However, it has £740 pounds to make up. On 16000 miles a year.... I need to works this out. Plus I also lose 10bhp, not alot but when you only have 75 to start with each one counts!!!!!

76.3 mpg - holy poo!!

I guess if youre doing major miles then many will be on the M/Way. Stick to 56mph and tell us what you can eck out of it!

The whole bhp thing is tricky. You may be 10bhp down, but Ill bet theres stacks more torque. Depends on your driving style. If you like revving the nuts off it, then get the the 1.2. If you prefer a smoother driving style then get a 1.5 Dci.

Have you considered the 80bhp diesel? Thats mean to be THE best diesel car on sale in terms of vfm anf mpg.

Ad

MK2 FRS

I have, and it would probly be my best choice. However, with insurance figures of £1500+ free insurance on 65bhp dci and 1.2 16v mean that I its not a realistic option at the moment. I had consider this before my accident, however, with 0 or 1 years no claims, 1 accident (partial blame) and 6 points, I cant really afford the insurance.

Having worked out the figure I reckon that the diesel saves just under £300 a year in fuel compared to the 1.2 16v. However, I would have to keep the car longer than 2 years to get the £740 extra back!! As I am not keen to keep the car so long with the miles I do i reckon its not worth the extra.

Basically, you can ignore the mpg figures of the cars for this comment. What it boils down to is that you will use more revs in the 1.2 16v - and will consequently get worse mpg compared to the 1.5 dCi than a quick official comparison would suggest. For example, to go from 30-70 at full chat (like a motorway slip road) will take less revs in the diesel than it will in the petrol car. Hence the difference between the two will be that bit greater than the official figures suggest - theyre done with light driving and not high revs.

I had a play in my mums DCi 65 the other week and it feels stronger than the figures suggested (okay, its not lightning quick, but its much better than a 1.2 8v Grande loan clio I had once, and I ragged the ass off that one!) The DCi is dead easy to drive cos its got a good bit of grunt low down and I dont think the torque figures on the 1.2 16v are anywhere near as good as the DCi...

On the M1 with 3-up, it still pulled reasonably well from 75mph upwards in top gear...

Matt

cDc

182 Arctic Blue

Yup theres afair bit more torque over 50%
1.2 16v - 100nm
dci65 - 160nm

i test drove both when i bought mine, didnt really seem a great deal different but i didnt take it on motorway im sure thats where the biggest difference would be felt.

Ad

MK2 FRS

Am undecided can have all the extras i want on the 1.2 16v (electric sunroof, alarm,) and have £300 change, if i intend to keep the car longer than a year I might go fo the diesel. Thanks for the advice. cDC Which one did you go for??? I will have to drive a dci and decide for myself.

cDc

182 Arctic Blue

petrol car in the end - im on the road 2 - 3 hours a day in slow traffic so the diesel probably made more sense though!!! but the higher price of the car and noisy engine put me off i guess.