ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 vs 172 running costs

C4 Grand Picasso

Im really bored with my 1.2 and maybe looking to change it for a Mk1 172 within 6 months. Either that or something cheaper to run like a warm-hatch (VTR/GT C2 maybe).

I realise insurance will probably double, and I will use a bit more fuel - but after that is there really that much day-to-day price difference that would put me off buying a 172?

C4 Grand Picasso

What do you reckon, about 30-35mpg if you take it easy, that wouldnt be too bad, I would only lose 10mpg compared to my current car.

[Edited by Levo on 1/21/2005 3:44:47 PM]

badinvincible: your car would be just what Im after, lowered, colour coded etc - very nice. Just 6 months too soon for me (outstanding loan and Renault finance stop me from swapping my car now:(.

megane coupe F7R

Dont forget you would be paying more road tax too. Fuel wouldnt be so bad unless you nail everywhere. Which you would. Tyres are more expensive and you will get through them quicker due to more power through the front. When it breaks parts will cost more. Get one anyway.

C4 Grand Picasso

^^ Yeah, sort of have that feeling get one anyway, I think if the costs get too much I could always give something up - like new clothes\beer\food . . .

I found the 1.2 loan car I had drank fuel worse than the 172 does, probably cos I ragged it an inch from death but I was shocked at how bad it was on fuel.

Volvo S60 D5

Why not a Mk2 (just out of interest?)

Im looking at doing something similar in about 6 months, but the Mk2 looks SOOOOOOO much better in my opinion !

C4 Grand Picasso

Mk1 from around 5.5k, Mk2 around 7.5k. Mine cars a Mk2 shape 1.2, and would love the same shape 172 - just depends on how my finances go, if I can afford it (and if the loan company will let me) Ill gladly spend the extra £ on the later shape car.

So long as you dont do that many miles it wont be that bad in my view.

Servicing tyres are the only realy expensive things than a 1.2.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

There is a MK1 172 on auto-trader at the mo, with 33K, going for 5K.

I thought that was an excellent price, with sucj little miles etc, 1 lady owner i presume (no offence meant).

As long as you get one with FSH, there shouldnt be that many probs with it surely. Modern engines should be able to stand highish miles with regular servicing.

I bought a brand new C2 GT and traded it 4 months later for my 182. Lost a fortune on it. The main reason I traded it was because the performance(which is CRAP by the way) to fuel consumption ratio was a joke. I averaged about 200 miles to £25 @ 80p per litre. I get the same, if not better from the 182.

Insurance is costing me an extra £300 per year over the GT. DOnt know about tax yet because I got my 182 taxed from new.

Hope this helps a little

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

Also, I just got a quote on a 306 GTI6 and it was £1500 F/c, with 5 points and a claim, so if you have somewhere around that I imagine insurance will be the same, I think they are similar groups, 15/16.

If you think that you will be able to afford it, then I dont think that economy issues will come into it. If you cant afford to buy it / insure it, then you cant afford it.

If you can afford to buy and insure, then running costs are just part of every day life, the same as they would be with any car, you just pay them.

Shhh

If your worrying about the running costs of a car, dont buy it as you will cry yourself to sleep with worry...!

True words from a wise man..

in the first 20k miles, i have spent 480 on insurance, 80 quid on a service, and 42mpg average mileage, tyres are still fine, no other costs at all !!!!!