ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.4 16v or 8v - 56k Warning!!

Thanks saner, good shot. Thanks to everyone else.

I was sold this car as a Mrk 2 Phase 1 Renault Clio 1.4 16v Alize. It is registered at DVLA as a 16v when it is starting to seem like it is not.

Any insights?

easy way of tellin mate,look on the left hand side and see if it has 1 or 2 cam pulleys,1 is an 8v, 2 pulleys in a 16v

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

Quote: Originally posted by Blackman on 28 July 2004

Thanks saner, good shot. Thanks to everyone else.

I was sold this car as a Mrk 2 Phase 1 Renault Clio 1.4 16v Alize. It is registered at DVLA as a 16v when it is starting to seem like it is not.

Any insights?
Well I can understand you being sold it incorrectly, there were Alize 8v and 16v. I found that when looking for a Si, even renault dealers were advertising Ss as 16vs which there not. Why the DVLA recognis it as a 16v is odd, unless they were incorrectly informed in the first place.

The only other option is that it was a 16v, then the engine was replaced with a 8v! The engine above is a W reg 2000, and as far as im aware the 16v 1.4 was introduced in early 2000

[Edited by Saner on 28 July 2004 at 9:07pm]

Wierd. I feel it was unfair though as I was specifically after the 16v version.

Russ16v I was told it had 1 cam from my local garage which started this whole fiasco. I told them it 16v and they said it wasnt.

The car is a V Reg so its 2000.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

The V plate ran from 01/09/1999 to 29/02/2000. My car was registered on 06/03/2000 making it a W. Sure the car was first gegisterd in 2000?

if its only got 1 cam mate then its most likely an 8v,there were a few rover single cam 16vs made a few years back tho

id most prob say 8v tho

Saner maybe it was registered 1999. But the fact of the matter is, DVLA say its 16v and so does the garage I bought it from, I want my 16v!!! :)

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

Quote: Originally posted by Blackman on 28 July 2004

Saner maybe it was registered 1999. But the fact of the matter is, DVLA say its 16v and so does the garage I bought it from, I want my 16v!!! :)
True, true! Either sell that and get yourself a 1.4 16v, (£4000 from a Dealer roughly) keeping that lurvly RamCharger, or..... ... an engine transplant :devilish:

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

Quote: Originally posted by EvilJohn on 29 July 2004

BTW what do you think of the ramcharger, any good and how much?
A RamCharger from K-Tec is £116.33. It gives a slight increase in bhp and is very noisy. If you want more power I would recomend a BMC CDA closed induction kit.

Quote:
Get trading standards in mate!

You reckon Ive got a case?

Quote:
BTW what do you think of the ramcharger, any good and how much?

Cant tell a huge difference in speed but it sounds fantastic. People think my car is a 1.8 or 2.0 litre.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

Exactly the same engine as the mk2 ph1, just with a cover on it. You notice on yours the black spaces above the silver cover? If you look at mine that were it originally said Renault 16v