ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.5 DCI gearstick movement

2002 Clio Dynamique DCi80
Hi,

I started noticing that the gearstick is moving when acelerating or braking, so I did some digging around and by the looks of it most of you say that its related to the worn dogbone mount.. anyone one know if the dogbone mount is the same for a 1.5 DCI 80 as 172?

Any other suggestions would be really welcome.

Thanks

Shed.
mine does that. not a dci, but when im in first especially, the thing moves with the engine, or so it would seem. Kinda annoying but ive lived with it since i bought it ...

RB 182 Cup
yeah same, when ive got 1 hand on the stick it moves with however much throttle you got on

www.renparts.co.uk
you can try replacing the mount... but mine had a new one and it didn't make much difference tbh.... or you can fit the K-tec one with stiffer bushes... but i imagine that vibration especially at idle would be terrible on a dci..

Things is when the gearstick moves it feels like the whole engine is shifting, i do LOADS of millage (118k last time i checked) so i think it must be the worn out dogbone, or so i hope anyway..

Shed.
well thats kinda the same thing with mine, and prolly the rest of ours.

Holding onto the gearstick when you move your foot off the3 accelerator feels like 100 tonns of somehting is pushing it back.

Things is i dont remember it being like this 20k back which is only 4 months ago, gear changes felt solid and i had no movement whatsoever..
I had the car serviced a month ago and i did ask the mechanic to have a look at the engine mounts as that was when i started noticing the problem, but when i came to collect the car and asked about it he first looked at me as if hes forggoten about it and then said they were fine.

I think he didnt bother to check them at all...

Mine does this and I have changed all the mounts and it made no difference. I know they all do it to and extent but mine really seems to shake. When it was brand new you literally couldn't tell it was even connected to the engine it never moved at all.
It can also be down to a driveshaft problem that's what i'm changing next.

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI
Hi.

My 2002 Clio 1.5 DCI does it too. I have owned the car for 2 years now (since 60.000 km - now 116.000 km) and it have always done it.

It is because that the gear link from stick to gearbox is solid. Other cars (alot of other cars actually) uses wires and they dont do it so much. The wire solutions is the most expensive one.

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI
Mine does this and I have changed all the mounts and it made no difference. I know they all do it to and extent but mine really seems to shake. When it was brand new you literally couldn't tell it was even connected to the engine it never moved at all.
It can also be down to a driveshaft problem that's what i'm changing next.

I can not be a driveshaft problem because they all do it. They all Clio's should have a bad/broken driveshaft ???

If you say you have changed the mounts and it made no difference how can you then say that the gear stick never moved when your car was new. I dont understand that ???

No ged they don't it is a metal rod that connects it. To be honest i'd rather have the gearstick shake a bit than have one with a wire link as you don't get any feel through them.
Ulle my car when new the gearstick would not move or vibrate at all.Now having changed all the mounts and it still shakes about a lot. I'm not saying all cars that have movement in the gearstick have worn driveshafts but what I am saying is that if the mechanic did infact look at his car and the engine mounts were ok then this is another possible cause.
9/10 times it will be down to the dogbone mount but like I say if the mechanic has found no play in them it can be caused be the driveshaft.

well i hope it wont be drive shaft related for me as it sounds like its expensive... does any one know if the dogbone mount is the same for a 1.5 DCI 80 as 172?

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI
I can serious not see how the driveshaft could be the problem :S But I have decided that I will have a test drive in a new Clio 1.5 DCI and see what that behave.

www.renparts.co.uk
if it is the same as the 1.2's etc... then the 172 one fits... renault now fit the 172 one if you take it in under warranty... so if it is the same as the 1.2/1.4/1.6 one then yeh the 172 one will fit...

well i hope it wont be drive shaft related for me as it sounds like its expensive... does any one know if the dogbone mount is the same for a 1.5 DCI 80 as 172?

Yep there the same realy.

The gearstick moves due to the way it is there no problem infact it better than having a stiffer mount and it damaging the car when the engine isn't allowed to move about more.

edde --> Does your gear stick move around in your DCI ? Mine does ... a lot.
A fair bit always has done they all do.

I had a new mount at 50k or so which reduced it a bit was a warently item though.

I could do with measuring how much it moves realy.

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI
Okay. Do you think it will help changing ? (well, it did for you but for how long?)

Okay. Do you think it will help changing ? (well, it did for you but for how long?)

Well you could tell mine was worn as it snapped the gearbox plastic cover thing of when it was truly worn when the engine realy moved about and knocked itself out of gear.

Best have a lok at it yoursle fsee if it looks worn anyhting under say 30k I'd says ulikly to be worn mine was 50k and I drive hard on track days etc.

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI
Okay.
My car have never jumped out of gear - never! But the gear stick do move a lot.
My car have gone about 75K miles now so maybe I should change it. I will try to find a price for the dogbone mount here in DK but the price will high - I think about £70 - £100. But I dont know for sure.
Also I will try to get a test drive in a new Clio 1.5 DCI and see how that reacts.

Okay.
My car have never jumped out of gear - never! But the gear stick do move a lot.
My car have gone about 75K miles now so maybe I should change it. I will try to find a price for the dogbone mount here in DK but the price will high - I think about £70 - £100. But I dont know for sure.
Also I will try to get a test drive in a new Clio 1.5 DCI and see how that reacts.

Different setup on them.

Our Mk2 setups better IMO although it does move.

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI
I dont mean a new Clio III 1.5 DCI. I mean a new Clio Campus 1.5 DCI. That must have the same setup as mine.