ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.5 dci turbo

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
Hi, I am new here and it's my first post.

I have a 2003 mk2 Renault clio (1.5 dci 80hp), I want to look into adding a turbo for fun but don't seen to be able to find the right resources online to find a turbo that will fit like a kit or the installation process. I've done bits and bobs fixing my clio while I've had it and I'd love to do the job myself as I've heard it can be a DIY job to install.

Just looking for suggestions as this is all I've found but only seems to include the actual charger.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/for-RENAUL...3%26rvr_ts%3Db01f4cf21680a884d185c443fffb3220

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
L
1.5 Dci is turbo as standard mate?
They probably are which is why I can't find non turbo resources. I've never been able to noticeably hear it and the guy I bought it from never mentioned it. Where about is it?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Its at the back of the engine. You wont hear it as its got a large airbox and quiet exhaust, dont expect too much from a small engined diesel bit of turbo whistle if your lucky

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
Its at the back of the engine. You wont hear it as its got a large airbox and quiet exhaust, dont expect too much from a small engined diesel bit of turbo whistle if your lucky
Underneath the air filter box?

My exhaust isn't very quiet, I'm thinking it's rusted somewhere because it's quite booming for a small engine. Waiting until my mot in April to find out the possible damage

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Every day is a school day dont worry about it. Fix the issues and get it remapped if you want more power.

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
Every day is a school day dont worry about it. Fix the issues and get it remapped if you want more power.
I don't think Ill ever have enough time to fix the issues with my poor clio.

Was just about to ask what are the performance gains from a remap like on the 1.5 dci?

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
Best and worst news you've had all day?

Finding out your car is actually turbo'd
I was both relieved that the whooshing I sometimes here isn't something that shouldn't be there but also a little bummed I couldn't bump my power up a little while having some fun.

Worst news was finding out there was no more snow to drive in today :(

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Did you plan on fitting this turbo kit if you managed to find one?

Probably wouldn’t advise that if you didn’t know your car had one in the first place Pmsl!

I can’t think of a diesel that’s not had a turbo since the old Peugeot 205s.

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
Did you plan on fitting this turbo kit if you managed to find one?

Probably wouldn’t advise that if you didn’t know your car had one in the first place Pmsl!

I can’t think of a diesel that’s not had a turbo since the old Peugeot 205s.
Well yeah, in reality I shouldn't install it but I would have looked planned and realised I shouldn't do it and then have a mechanic install it.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Fair one, but any diesel built in the last 20 years I’d safely say has a turbo on it.

Im struggling to think of any non turbo diesels in anything modern, last n/a diesel i had was clio 1.9d mk1 & ax 1.5d. Both painfully slow compared to any modern turbo diesel

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
Im struggling to think of any non turb9 diesels, last n/a diesel i had was clio 1.9d mk1 &ax 1.5d. Both painfully slow compared to any modern turbo diesel
My parents car ran without a turbo for a while, I wasn't driving at the time so I didn't notice anything. We had to option to not have the turbo but decided against it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Im struggling to think of any non turbo diesels in anything modern, last n/a diesel i had was clio 1.9d mk1 & ax 1.5d. Both painfully slow compared to any modern turbo diesel

VW SDI engine maybe? Only thing I can think off, even then not sure.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Forgot about the sdi, painfully slow drove a caddy with one in.

Ah I miss my old Caddy SDI work van, it was so epic. I hooned it everywhere, it had a million miles and never broke down! Just did the usual oil, filter and it carried on forever.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
A dci 80 will remap to around 105-110hp and 180lbft. I used superchips bluefin, plug it in, upload your standard map to it, plug it into pc and their software sends your map to them, they will either have a match for it or write one for you within a few hours, download the map onto the handheld and plug it into the car and it flashes your ECU.

Hastle free and great results, my 80 went really really well

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
A dci 80 will remap to around 105-110hp and 180lbft. I used superchips bluefin, plug it in, upload your standard map to it, plug it into pc and their software sends your map to them, they will either have a match for it or write one for you within a few hours, download the map onto the handheld and plug it into the car and it flashes your ECU.

Hastle free and great results, my 80 went really really well

can these be used on any vehicle? so if i was to get a new car I could use it again?

Also would you recommend second hand ones?

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
can these be used on any vehicle? so if i was to get a new car I could use it again?

Also would you recommend second hand ones?

I'm sure they are able to be reprogrammed, something you would have to confirm with them. Why don't you go somewhere like Celtic tuning?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I believe they can be re programmed for a new car but the cost is pretty much the same as just buying a new one, I've always bought a new one and have about 6 old ones lying in my toolbox ?

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
I believe they can be re programmed for a new car but the cost is pretty much the same as just buying a new one, I've always bought a new one and have about 6 old ones lying in my toolbox ?
Don't happen to have a 1.5 dci lying around?

3 series, 172 Cup

I work at a Fiat dealership and they have a 1.4 NA diesel which is painful. We don't sell any of them put it that way!