ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.6 16v VTS MPG worse than a 2.0 16v 172?

As title says, was looking at getting one or the other but was going to go with VTS as I thought the MPG would be a fair bit better.

But parkers states the VTS as 33 MPG and a 172 as 34 MPG? Is this correct?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
As title says, was looking at getting one or the other but was going to go with VTS as I thought the MPG would be a fair bit better.

Parkers is all theoretical/manufacturers figures.

Id say the vts is probably better, but the 172 is a very economical car to run.

I don't see how its physically possible to get the same (if not better?) mpg from a car with 2.0 litre engine weighing a over a ton as appose to a tiny 1.6 made from tin foil that only weighs ~800kg ...

DMS

A thirsty 172
My 106 GTi was worse on fuel than my 172 was when it was still standard.
That wasn't to say the 106 was bad on fuel, it wasn't.
The 106 did seem to over-fuel slightly though. When I fitted the Raceland manifold and Pugsport straight through exhaust with the integrated de-cat it stunk of petrol, whereas the Clio never did after the de-cat was fitted (and still doesn't, except when it's on the choke for the first minute or so after starting it up).

172 Cup, Ibiza Cupra
I don't see how it's not possible. Don't need to work the engine as hard and can sit at lower RPM etc.

DMS

A thirsty 172
The 1*2 has more torque at lower revs too, so you don't need to rev the engine quite as much to speed up slightly.
Plus it's a more modern engine. Advancements are made in engine design and fuel economy all the time, so things like VVT, inlet design, gearing, the cam profile and the ECU map will all help make the car more frugal.
That said, the TU5J4 engines are pretty good - they love to rev and respond very well to basic breathing mods.

53 Clio's & counting
its not just weight and engine size, its to do with a lot of other factors, including how efficient the fuel management system is etc

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Surely the Clio engine has more low end torque therefore It's easier to get the MPG up?

MCS R56

I'd say it's about right.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I found my VTS and GTi worse than my 172

Ask anyone thats owned one, they love to be revved and as such return pish fuel economy

DMS

A thirsty 172
I found my VTS and GTi worse than my 172

Ask anyone thats owned one, they love to be revved and as such return pish fuel economy

Yep. Probably because they lack low down torque and don't make much power until after 4k rpm.
Epic fun though. Much more enjoyable to drive quickly than a 1*2 IMO.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Yep. Probably because they lack low down torque and don't make much power until after 4k rpm.
Epic fun though. Much more enjoyable to drive quickly than a 1*2 IMO.

Definatley mate, im an avid fan of the J4 engine.

People that dont like them have either never driven one or associate them with chavs/local cunters etc and thats fine

The bottom line is IMO they are just as capable as a 1*2

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
My engine is exactly the same tbh. It's carrying a lot more weight than it does when in the twingo too. So just to pull away you need more revs than you do in most cars.

VVT y0.

172 Cup, Ibiza Cupra
I still think it's sh*t clutch control TBH. I've said it before, if my dads S40 with a 1.6 can pull away with no issues and excessive revving, a Clio can.

M

mini-valver

I used to get 100 miles to a tenner in the VTS driving steady, that was when fuel was just over a quid a litre IIRC.

M

mini-valver

I'd still have the VTS if I hadn't crashed it, lol. 1.1 is going strong, even after a run in with the rear of a RR Sport! 109k and counting....

330i. E30 Touring.
Not much difference, I've found.

The VTS/GTi just beg to be pushed hard, though. I see about 29/30mpg from my XSi 16v.

Iceberg 172
Yeah my 106 GTI was about the same if not worse than my 172 on petrol... But I was 18/19 when I had the GTI therefore I drove like a c**k.

1.4 phase 1
im actually suprised that the 2.0 clio can give the same fuel economy as a 1,6 saxo/pug, but as already stated the low end torque proberly does help.

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
I drive like my nan so i normally get 36.1mpg on the motorway i get 43.1mpg from £25 fill up i get 170miles in the tank

320d
My old hybrid used to do 100 miles to a tenner and ran 13.8 quarters.

Why the f**k did i sell it :(

To be fair petrol used to be a lot cheaper.

When petrol was low 80p's a litre about 18 months ago you'd only need 38ish mpg to get 100 miles to a tenner.

That same 38mpg will now get you 72 miles.

In reality at todays prices if you get a 172 to do 60 miles to a tenner your doing ok.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I remember the days when you could put a tenner's worth of fuel in the car and go pretty much anywhere in the country on it. Nowadays it barely gets me off my driveway :race:

ph1 sunflower
i have a 172 the mrs has a vts the vts is about thesame but the clio is a much better car and will take more abuse, hers is starting to fall apart...

you will spend more fixing the saxo if you like driving....

Last edited:
  53 Clio's & counting
I used to get 100 miles to a tenner in the VTS driving steady, that was when fuel was just over a quid a litre IIRC.

I'd still have the VTS if I hadn't crashed it, lol. 1.1 is going strong, even after a run in with the rear of a RR Sport! 109k and counting....

Lol fair play mate! Glad its still doing you well :)

To be fair petrol used to be a lot cheaper.

When petrol was low 80p's a litre about 18 months ago you'd only need 38ish mpg to get 100 miles to a tenner.

That same 38mpg will now get you 72 miles.

In reality at todays prices if you get a 172 to do 60 miles to a tenner your doing ok.

I worked it out at the time, it used to hit 48mpg quite easily

I get about 75ish miles to a tenner in the 172