ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

10-40w oil in a 172

10-40w oil in a 172, would do any harm or nothing at all
only there is a big price difference in the 5-40w and 10-40w
let us know if any has used it
i checked the manual and it says there to use 15-40w

cheers shorty

Id use what it says in the manual mate. I thought 10-40 oil was for older cars as it isnt as synthetic, 15-40w is synthetic so better for your engine.

cheers mate, year i bought the oil today and going to do a oil change
but time beat me, its TOTAL oil semi synthetic it said it was for modern performance engines i guess i could take it back and get the 5-40w fully synthetic oil, which was a tenner more in price, i know iam a cheap skate
i will take it back

cheers shorty

Nissan R35 GT-R

The 10w40 is a thicker oil, but thins more easily when heated.

I thought the 172s use 5w50, which is thinner, and resists further thinning due to heat more that the 40.

Renault recommend - ELF 15/40 - semi or fully snthetic oil.

Oil filter for 172 is 8200033408 £6.20

sump washer is 7700266044 £0.89

the service items for most clio,s are pretty cheap !!

CTR EK9 turbo

i always bung in castrol gtx magnatec 10w40. My car never complains and goes like an ethiopian at a pick nmix...

please dont use a 10w40, its an old viscosity type and not many people use them, some manufacturers invalidate your warrenty if you run on the stuff.

5w50 is fine, but do you need such a thin base oil? its really not that cold in the UK EVER. I Run a 15w50

Choose the oil according to your environmental conditions....thats all you really need to do.

cheers frosty and CB1A for the info do you think i should stick with the 10-40w, i think i can remember my mate at the local renault saying to put 5-40w oil in its just a go between until me next service

cheers lads

shorty

Megane 225 baby! :)

Well, now I am totally confused - my Reno dealer have just put in Magnatec Semi Synthetic 10w40 into my car last week when it was in for 36k service!

so who/what is right?!?!

cheers guys for all your replys and opinions, iam sure the tech guys down at renault say that 5-40w full synthetic is fine
ben r i have looked around and can only see 40w oils,

simon 172 is your 172 ok on 10-40w oil, like i said it semi synthetic oil
so it should be ok its TOTAL oil also i have a mk1 172 with 39k if thats makes a difference

cheers

shorty :)

Skoda Fabia vRS

Quote: Originally posted by billabong on 19 May 2003

Id use what it says in the manual mate. I thought 10-40 oil was for older cars as it isnt as synthetic, 15-40w is synthetic so better for your engine.
hehe, what !.....thats pretty wrong mate !

10W-40 can be had in fully synthetic, and semi synthetic, as can 15W-40 probably, though ive never seen a fully synthetic 15W-40, only semi

SHORTY, i assume what you have is Total Quartz 7000 10W-40......green trim on the label ?........and what you were looking at was Total Quartz 9000 5W-40.......pink trim on the label

both will be fine, however personally id go for the Quartz 9000, for a start its fully synthetic, which the 7000 isnt.........

not many people do a 5W-50 as its a very wide temp range so is packed with additives = bad...........Valvoline do it......

most semis........or fully synth oils will be fine........depends if you want the best or not.........

nice one brun cheer for the run down mate
looks like the oil will be ok for a while until my next service just as long as it dont do any damage

but thanks to everyone for there input

cheers

shorty

CTR EK9 turbo

its done 29,500 plus miles on the stuff and seems to be ok? dont really know much about it. Doesnt over heat or anything and never leaks or burns oil, even with me driving it!

I would say that you at least should go for the 5w-40 and preferably the 5w-50. Maybe you cant feel it now, but you will later - thats for sure. The 15w-40 is to my best knowledge a mineral oil and only suitable for old bangers on their way to the scrapyard, not a high-end performance car...;-)

-CJ

My Renault dealer puts in 10.40 semi synt oil, and just like Simon 172, I have never had any problems. I top up with GTX mag ( I too was concerned about this as the manual states different, however after ringing around several Renault garages in the area they all use 10.40 ) 10.40 semi synt, but to be honest I havent really had to top up , as the engine doesnt seem to burn oil, like the old 16V engines.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

had mine replaced @ 1200 miles with mobil 1 fully syn. 0w 40 and the engine has a much nicer sound to it a warms up quickly

checked with the renault chaps and they use 10-40w as standard
its only until my next service so its booked in for the renault lads to tackle the oil filter, looks like a right b**tard to get to off

cheers

shorty :)

Skoda Fabia vRS

please stay away from Magnatec............it will make your engine noisy........its done it to loads of people on ere

though obviously theres plenty cars on the road runnin fine on it too

Clio 1.6 16V

Im running Mobil 1 0W-40 oil in both Clios at the moment and have used this in past 1.6 Clios without any problems. I use this a) because its a very good oil and b) is relatively cheap when you get it through Costco.