ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1080p HD LCD TV

If your going to use sky HD or get a Blue ray or HD dvd player and use it loads, i would say yes, but if your not going to do any of these, well i wouldnt be waiting, there bound to be cheaper in a few years time, and a lot better.

SLK 350
HD is pretty pointless atm IMO.

Ill be waiting until it actually becomes useful I think, by which time you'll be able to pick up a nice 42" screen for £400 hopefully :)

RenaultSport clio 172
Well ill use it for an xbox 360 but i understand that this runs at 720 and wont differ too much. Ill prob look at Sky HD and HD DVD in about two years but these work well on the 720's dont they?

I have a HD tv and a 360 and it look sgreat, and i cant see there being to different with 1080P TV. Sky at the minute hasnt got many chanels in HD so its probs best to wait till the service gets better and the price comes down

Which make and size are you looking at?

LCD technology is NOT as good as plasma yet, even at 1080 native resolution.

Rav4
LCD and Plasma will be replaced by Laser TV's which will be much cheaper anyhow ( should be coming very soon )

720 to 1080 not much difference tbh, ok some, but not worth the extra dosh.

Anyhow you only see that good quality through DVD's or games i.e xbox

Normal TV looks shite, even NTL and normal SKY. (Varies on channels)

182FF c/w Recaros
LCD and Plasma will be replaced by Laser TV's which will be much cheaper anyhow ( should be coming very soon )

OLDE, SED tv's etc etc will be along at some time but I can't see it happening any time soon.

Having said that, unless your getting a monster tv (50"++) then you might as well stick with 720 although there are a few 1080 tv's around now that don't cost the earth (though still a fair bit more than a 720/768 model).

RenaultSport clio 172

I was looking at getting a 32 inch Samsung or Toshiba, i suppose at that size it wont make much difference!

I'm sure i've said this before in a previous thread but that is not true except for 1 or 2 pioneer plasma TV's.

The picture from a LCD via a HD source is dramatically better than a plasma.

7MAT, have you actually seen a good lcd and good plasma side by side displaying from the same source?

Go into a Curry's or Comet where they have plasma and lcd tv's side by side displaying a hd source and you will see what i mean. Plasma colours look 'washed out' compared to a good LCD.

Not to mention you can get a 1080 native res LCD TV for £1600 now.

I'll be getting this in the new year, when it falls to below £1500 and the discount codes are active on it.

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...m=11&sm=0&tm=0&sku=809552&category_oid=-30633

I'll be getting this in the new year, when it falls to below £1500 and the discount codes are active on it.

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...m=11&sm=0&tm=0&sku=809552&category_oid=-30633

i was listening to everything u said until you posted that samsung.
The tv is awful. Heard/seen and experienced nothign but bad things with em. They look good, and samsung has very good advertising skills but thats all.

I'm sure i've said this before in a previous thread but that is not true except for 1 or 2 pioneer plasma TV's.

7MAT, have you actually seen a good lcd and good plasma side by side displaying from the same source?

Go into a Curry's or Comet where they have plasma and lcd tv's side by side displaying a hd source and you will see what i mean. Plasma colours look 'washed out' compared to a good LCD.

i just bought a 42" 1080p tv for 989 ;)

i was listening to everything u said until you posted that samsung.
The tv is awful. Heard/seen and experienced nothign but bad things with em. They look good, and samsung has very good advertising skills but thats all.

I'd have to disagree with you mate, i think the panel is one of the better ones and has a great paper spec too. I know that it has had its criticism, but you will find that you will get problems with most new tv's but it is sometimes the ones that are the most popular that get the stick on avforums etc. In other words people will be more likely to go onto a forum and post negative criticism about a product depending on experience, than positive (unless you like boasting of course ;) )

If there is a 1080 Bravia set around next Jan for the same money i might look at it. Until then, i won't really consider a set until i've seen it in the flesh linked up to a HD source.

I woundn't buy from Curry's if you paid me.

Yes I seen both, at the IBC show this year. I can tell you that a decent plasma with 768 lines beats the latest and greatest 1080 native LCDs with both SD and HD sources. LCD is getting better and better but its not there yet.

I was looking at getting a 32 inch Samsung or Toshiba, i suppose at that size it wont make much difference!

At under 40" you are probably better off with a decent LCD.

Check out www.avforums.com before you buy.

And when you do buy I can recommend John Lewis as they offer a FREE 5 year guarantee and will price match!

I woundn't buy from Curry's if you paid me.

Yes I seen both, at the IBC show this year. I can tell you that a decent plasma with 768 lines beats the latest and greatest 1080 native LCDs with both SD and HD sources. LCD is getting better and better but its not there yet.

Any particular reason?

If you read avforums, which you suggest that you do, you will see they are on of the best retailers to buy from due to the amount of discount available online through the promotional codes. Not to mention the ability to walk into the local branch and get a good turn around on a replacement if it were ever necessary. If i was paying the same price and had to choose between purchasing from the DSG or a random online retailer who i had never purchased from before, it would be DSG every time.

I have seen plenty of high specification plasmas at shows and on demo in stores and they cannot compare in terms of image quality to a high-end LCD. I have never met anyone in the business who would choose a plasma over an LCD when looking for sizes 32"-42" unless they could afford the pioneer XE or XD series. Yes fair enough those sets really do stand out but the vast majority of plasma sets do not cut it for image quality what so ever. Plus, the power consumption of plasma TV's is massive compared to LCD's although i'm sure some would not really mind about that.

To be honest it is all subjective, you cannot say one is definitively better than the other as can't I. People just need to take on board what is being said and go and look at a demo for themselves with their own eyes and make up their mind which they prefer.

182FF c/w Recaros
To be honest it is all subjective, you cannot say one is definitively better than the other as can't I. People just need to take on board what is being said and go and look at a demo for themselves with their own eyes and make up their mind which they prefer.

Might disagree about the HD merits with Plasma/LCD but can't argue with the above point which is what it all boils down to in the end.:approve:

Rav4
I have a pioneer plasma TV and it is truly superb. Really good. Just use the ps2 as the DVD player as it is amazing !!!!

Imagine with a good DVD player.

My Legs
xbox 360's play at 1080!?!?! thats what i thought anyways, you can get a 23 inch hd ready tv with hdmi, 2 scarts and in white for £450

yes xbox 360 can output at 1080p all game content is upscaled tho as are dvd's but only over vga and hd dvd will only do 1080p over vga aswell

RenaultSport clio 172

At under 40" you are probably better off with a decent LCD.

Check out www.avforums.com before you buy.

And when you do buy I can recommend John Lewis as they offer a FREE 5 year guarantee and will price match!

Would they price match internet deals as they are fairing up pretty expensive!

http://lcd-tv-deals.co.uk/samsung_le32r73_lcd_tv.htm