ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

112,000 miles - what's likely to break?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
It's a Ph1 172 that's now covered 112,000 miles. Goes like poo off a wet shovel. I wonder how long it will go on for without something major beaking? The Gearbox and clutch are original and work just fine. So does the rest of the car including steering parts. Most of the suspension has been replaced, so have the brakes, throttle body and the exhaust (the original fell off, as they do). Even the steering wheel is holding up fairly well! Apart from the drivers mat and a couple of minor bodywork dings it is in pretty good shape for an eight year old hot hatch.

Any thoughts on what might be around the corner in terms of problems?

Tav

Clio 197
Apparently most cars are design to last 100,000miles, after that things can and will go wrong. You'll start finding more items that have just had enough and worn out.

53 Clio's & counting
Just check all the general stuff mate

Check CV boots
engine/box mounts
Cambelt must have been done at least once by now
exhaust

Look after it and it will be fine, im another 13k more than you and still running fine

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
It's a Ph1 172 that's now covered 112,000 miles. Goes like poo off a wet shovel. I wonder how long it will go on for without something major beaking? The Gearbox and clutch are original and work just fine. So does the rest of the car including steering parts. Most of the suspension has been replaced, so have the brakes, throttle body and the exhaust (the original fell off, as they do). Even the steering wheel is holding up fairly well! Apart from the drivers mat and a couple of minor bodywork dings it is in pretty good shape for an eight year old hot hatch.

I'm on 108,500 now, and still on the original clutch/gearbox :)

I replaced the brakes,suspension etc on around the 88k mark, all in the garage now still in full working order.

they may already have been done, but the engine mounts and some of the suspension bits (leaky dampers, snapped springs, top mounts) don't seem to have a great service life

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

when was the cambelt last done as that must be due soon...gonna be 10 years old next year

Math failings?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Nothing should really go wrong as along as its been generally looked after, regular oil changes and keep an eye on the wear and tears and it will run like a swiss watch

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
lol only joking love them really but they do say cars over 100.000 miles should be nearly dead unless german. renaults are bad enough norm well before 100k lol

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
if my clio was over 100k i would keep it till the end there is no way you could ever find someone to buy it

i'd like to keep mine until it's done as well (always depends upon circumstances over the years). managed well over 200k in my last two cars, but you've got to accept that you WILL be spending more and more as the mileage racks up. got to say that, so far, the Renault isn't fairing too well - personally think that some of the bits fitted to it just aren't up to much

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
It's nine years old in Dec.

Cambelt and aux belt has been changed twice.

Engine oil is replaced every 5000-7000 miles (with good oil) and the gearbox oil every third engine oil change. Think I'll keep it then.