ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16s OR 17s The MASS-DEBATE!! Ahem! ;)

Thanks BenR,

Im pretty sure theyre SX GTs (havent got the car yet but Im planning ahead).

Im certainly no expert on this stuff - can I use different width wheels with the same tyre or do I have to get a certain width to use the existing michelins? If so, why? Doesnt seem logical to me.

well, i got 7" wide wheels, and my 195/50/r15 p5000s fit on, but i wouldnt reccomend (neither do the manufacturers) going too wide as it kida defeats what the side walls of the tyres were designed to do. If you put them on say a 8" wide wheels instead of the 6" there designed to go on. The angle of the sidewall to the vertical, is greater. This means that the sidewall which was meant to work at say 15 degrees is now working at 25-30 deg. The tyre will wont work as designed and you will destroy the sidewalls as they flex and actually wear against the road. Meaning less miles per tyre and impared handling!

Cheers Craggy glad you like em, they are a real head turner. People say i want it to be a willy, but b****cks, i just think that the renault blue and gold looks class! They are called monzas not motorsport though, and i got some different centre caps than those horrible cone type ones you normally see.

BenR,

Thanks for that.

I just bought a local motoring magazine in which the Clio Sport came 9th out of a field of 21 for their performance car of the year. Anyway, according to their specs tyres are Pilot SX 195/50/15 and wheels are 15x7.

Guess Ill go with the 15x7 SuperTs - are they heavier than the SuperLs?

In order as follows:

1. M3
2. 911 Carrera
3. Evo VI
4. MX-5 SP (Australian model - fast!)
5. 911GT2
6. WRX STi
7. MB C-32 AMG
8. CSV Veloce (based on local GM car)
9. The Mighty Clio

In good company Id say and well and truly beats them all on price of course.

They recorded a 0-100 (0-62) time of 7.76 - which means Ive seen quoted 0-100 times of between 6.6 and 7.76 seconds now.

the super Ts are about twice as heavy as the super Ls in 17" form. I have seen some 15" super Ls on a black clio and nothing has looked so mean!
And with it being so hot in Oz, intake temps would be up, reducing power and hot roads mean less traction. the official 6.8 sec was probably done in cold france on a sunny day, with different tyres.

so comparing the super ts to the super ls in weight, acceleration would be better with the super ls, but top speed affected ? or just pick up at high speed ?

top speed will be affected, but how many times do yo get up to 140mph? it will get there, just take longer. Id rahter acceleratre faster. And the lower unsprung weight means that the car will handle better.

yeah, i dont mind the top speed changing, just wanted to make sure i was looking at this from the right angle

I just fitted 17s and they where no problem to fit at all.

My car is tottly slammed but only needed the black mud reflectors taken out front and back.

Spent about an hour and a bit doing this.

My car will be in the gallery soon as i have sent Geoff my pics, just waiting for him so take a look!!

Kev

next to teh rear bumper there is a lip you might want to knock flat with a hammer and dolly as this can rip your tyres apart really fast!!
Also, anybody got some oldis michelin SX GTs they would want to give me if i can get you some cheap pirellis!
or any other 195/50/15 tyres!?

Lionel Richie

Yep mine are 17inch OZ Superleggeras with 205/40 Toyo T1-S tyres, and they weigh about the same as my old renault 15s!!!!!

Indeedely Doodely! 15" F1 Cups!

I have found a place that offers 17"x7" OZ Superleggeras for £790 wheels+tyres! However i would have to pay them on finance so this price would go up! But i found another place that offers them for £850 but with a buy now pay in 6 months option - which i like the sound of!

Clio 182, OctaviaVRS

Sorry, i always thought they were 14"s - they look Tiny anyway - thats the first thing youd have to change on a Mk1 172.

well my clio 1.2 16v dynamique isnt exactly fast so i dont think acceleration or top speed matter too much so when the tyres wear down I will have to get at least 17s!!!

i actually think the car looks mean on 15". same with a mini on 10" whels insead of stupidly large 13" wheels.

Its simple: 17" for looks and if you had cash to spare, 16" for better proformance and road handling and 15" If you want to stay original and cant afford another set! I would personally go for the 17" for day to day use and slap on the 15"s with some slicks when going to the track, right Ben?

haha...yeah, and slicks dont work on the same, mega small profile tyres that road tyres do...there is a reason F1 tyres have such a huge side wall.

Well thanks for all your replies! You have all helped me make my final decision!!

Which is..........

.....OZ SUPERLEGGERA 17"x7"!!!!!

ARRIVING TOMOROW!!!!!

Paid £850 () from Wheel-Base cos they are the only people i could find who would let me pay it off at no extra cost over 6 months!

Laid down 250 to start with so i can cover 100 a month!

Lionel Richie

Good price!!!! I wish i couldve paid interest free for 6months!!! I had to stump up £750cash for my wheels from Danny172!!!! although mine do have Toyo T1-S on them!!! The front two took a beating at the weekend when i was at Santa Pod!!! And before anyone starts and says that i shouldve put my 15s on etc etc i didnt see the point cos its a 1.2 not a 172!!!!

Lionel Richie

Now now, be nice, if they want to put 15s on their car let them!! well just look 10x better!!! HAHAHA!!!!!!!! (and go slower, i know, i know!!!!!!!)

Im gonna weigh a superL wheels against one of my standard wheels tomorow, itll be interesting to see the difference - especially as they are 17to15! If the weight is not much different the diameters are only 1.1cm apart! So performance loss may not be too great!

G13NN,

I JUST GOT 17S ON MINE (SEE IT IN THE 16V GALLERY) AND ALTHOUGH THEY LOOK THE TITS THE PERFOMANCE AND HANDLING LOSS IS QUITE BAD!

IF I NEW HOW JUST HOW BAD IT WOULD BE I WOULD HAVE CONSIDERED 16S BUT THEN AGAIN WOULD HAVE STILL BROUGHT THE 17S AS THEY LOOK THE TITS!!!!!

KEV