ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16V Clutch cable

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

My clutch cable has gone for the second time in 6months - on a busy junction after work just about to go onto the motorway - tw@t -

Went to Renault this morn to get a new cable, and asked for a fitting price, (cos i put the last one on and i nearly smashed the car up in anger - took me two days and 3 mates to try and help).

Renault said i would need a new clutch pedal to go with it or it would snap again - total cost for parts and labour, 129.00 inc. vat.

Is this true? anyone experienced this?

The cable that just snapped was not a renault original - got it from andyspares.co.uk - normally quite good, unless i fit it incorrectly - :mad:

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

javascript openWin pop_up_profile.asp?profile=3820 , profile , toolbar=0,location=0,status=0,menubar=0,scrollbars=0,resizable=1,width=440,height=370 "> G13NN X and Rockport have done this with sucess recently Private message them maybe.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

I think Renault came up with a different design for the routing of the clutch cable so as to not put as much pressure on it, hence the new pedal. As for the cable itself i paid £15 something at Renault and fitting can be a problem but the best advice is to take note of where the current cable is before you start. And make sure all the little bits of it are removed, as in the plastic bit that pushes through from the engine side. Id then push a long screw driver through the hole in the footwell so you know where to look. Also you can attach some string to the end of the screwdriver before you push it through, tie that around the end of the cable then pull the string back into the footwell.

Audi S3

Im paying about £120 for a new fitted cable as mine went on monday nite and that includes a new pedal!

Matt

Mine went as well about a month ago,

they are a complete pain to do mine went inside the car about 4 inches from where it goes into the pedal.

the hardest bit i found was fitting it on to the yolk thing (i think its called something like that)

other than that its the same as any other car.

still not a nice job though !!

my cable went 2 weeks ago, bought a cable, eventually fitted it, just 2 mins ago parked the car, went to reverse back, pedal is firm partway then clicks loudly and no perssure, think the ratchet in the pedal isnt holding the cable, so its got to go in for the pedal now, renault said the same thing, replace in pairs

they did bring out a new pedal and self ajusting cam, cables last much longer. not as bad to fit as you might think, Renault did recal some early cars & changed them free.

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

Mmmm...got the cable changed, took it to a reputable performance car garage who fit it for me and fitted a new door lock aswell - £50 all in - not too bad - wouldve done myself but after the last experience, and no garage space at the mo, didnt wanna be sat out at midnight swearing at tools and trying to see what im doing with about 4 torches and a zippo...

Seems ok now tho, better than before, wheather the pedal will still need replacing is another story - if this one goes again, will have to replace both...smileys/smiley5">

Anyway...fingers crossed...thanks 4 your views tho..:cool: