ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v dampers on a non 16v clio

S2000

Is it possible to fit dampers off a Mk1 1.8 16v clio to a Mk1 Ph2 1.4RT if the hub bolt spacing is the same?

If so would it be possible to use springs for a 1.4RT with those dampers and would dampers work OK on the 1.4RT?

Thanks.

S2000

In that case can you put non-16v springs on 16v dampers?

The reason I am asking is that I have been offered some fairly cheap 16v uprated dampers but I have just bought some lowering springs for my 1.4 and I wanted to combine the two if possible.

S2000

Quote: Originally posted by mudflap boy on 08 September 2005

i wouldt like to say, but if the 16v dampers are uprated, a standerd spring may not fit.
Welll the spring I have to put on should lower my car 55mm so its not a standard spring. Can anyone say either way if the spring would fit OK?

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

Quote: Originally posted by mudflap boy on 08 September 2005

i wouldt like to say, but if the 16v dampers are uprated, a standerd spring may not fit.
why? aftermarket dampers are almost always built to oe spec - what i mean is, so that youve got a damper that will take any spring designed for the car.

I dont know enough about mk1s, so cant comment on whether or not theyll fit, id be worried about geometries with a valver shock on an RT hub carrier though (based on the assumption its like having a 172 damer on a non-172 mk2)

chances are that the spring will fit though, if youve got the springs waiting to go on, why not just take them and see if they fit the valver strut?

500bhp Scoob

Not totally sure on this myself, not sure if the valver has a wider track than the standard RT, i wouldve thought so, meaning that if you use the valver shocks which would be longer, they would put lots of camber, and youd be going through tyres like there was no tomorrow (like i did with shocks that were stamped up correctly for my model, yet were too long)

I can measure a valver shock if someone can measure a RT shock so we can find out.

If so I will fit valver shocks and my APEX -40mm springs to the Beast (1.4 RT) and my FKs to the rear.

500bhp Scoob

Ive got a standard RT shock sitting at the top of my garden I can measure :) both 52mm and 54 (althou the 54mm spacing one is an apex shock so could actually be shorter than standard anyway)

Quote: Originally posted by Mole on 09 September 2005

Not totally sure on this myself, not sure if the valver has a wider track than the standard RT, i wouldve thought so, meaning that if you use the valver shocks which would be longer, they would put lots of camber, and youd be going through tyres like there was no tomorrow (like i did with shocks that were stamped up correctly for my model, yet were too long)
16v is wider than RT tho IIRC thats down to the hub. As long as your RT hub shock bolt spacing is the same as the 16v youll get the 16v shock ons and keep your existing track width and not have probs