ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v Gearbox Rebuild question

Ph1 172, Mini 2.0l T

I am currently rebuilding the gearbox on my wifes Phase 1 16v and am at the stage where i need to torque up the following:

1. Diff retaining nut

2. Laygear retaining nut

3. Main gear cluster retaining bolt.

Does anyone have the correct torque settings for the above, the Haynes manual is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

A tip for anyone who is doing the same, Renault quoted me a price of £32 each for the brass baulk rings (£160 for a set of five), however the parts dept. guy did a double check and found out they do a kit of 5 plus synchro springs, nuts, bolts, etc for £28 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good old Renault!:confused:

A tip for anyone who is doing the same, Renault quoted me a price of £32 each for the brass baulk rings (£160 for a set of five), however the parts dept. guy did a double check and found out they do a kit of 5 plus synchro springs, nuts, bolts, etc for £28 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good old Renault!:confused:

Smashing! Whe I was last down looking into this me and Danny couldnt find a kit listing. You got the Part number matey?

1. Eh where is this?

2. Nuts 30 or 35nm I cant remember which but its got that squidgy pressed steel over it anyway and it doesnt need to be solid.

3. Bolts 40nm I think. Use loctite on it to. |Dunno what the brown lock fluid ren use but its an arse to chip off.

Cant remembr exactly.

Ph1 172, Mini 2.0l T

Thanks for the quick reply Chris.

The diff nut is behind the drivers side driveshaft oil seal and requires about a 2" socket!. Luckly my mate with a garage machined down a socket to fit as you need a thin deep reach socket.

I will look out the receipt for the part number when I get home, even the parts deptmartment guy was amazed at the price.

hmm, usually a circlip in there mate not a nut!

The diff housing pokes through the bearing then a circlip is stuck on. Remove the circlip and push it and it falls out onto the floor and chips the crownwheel whilst you throw a hammer and it goes through the garage window and into and out the other side of the green house before bouncing off the fence.

Ph1 172, Mini 2.0l T

Chris

The synchro kit part no. is R77 01 467 269 N/stk 757393/Kit Syn £28.15 + VAT

This is for a JB3048 gearbox.

I guess the big nut gets to be FT!!