ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

17’s power loss

C

chip16v

Does putting 17s on make that much of a difference to your cars performance. i understand the therory behind it, being that there is more weight and that. But has anybody proved it by doing 1/4 mile tests or 0-60 times with them on and then with 15s on. just wanted to Know because i thinking of selling my 17s and because all the rattles are doin my head in but need to convince myself abit more to get rid of the big rims

Weight - I was looking at the 1/4 mile times in the members section, you need to get your latest time up there.

Then youll be 2nd just behind Adi!

Oh, & as for the question! lol!

Ive been warned off going for 17"s as they do make a noticeable difference. Hence why Im going for 16"s instead.

Borrow some 15"s off someone, and go for a blast. Bet you will change them then!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Its not the weight its the diameter and it is possible to match (in most cases) the OEM diameter! You just need to choose carefully!

Renault Laguna Coupe

The bigger & heavier you go the more the in-gear acceleration is bound to suffer. Just try spinning a big 26" wheel on a pushbike by hand - then try a smaller wheel on a BMX. The difference is though that the car decelerates less during gearchanges as the bigger wheel is a bigger energy store (like a flywheel).

Its a very small diference on a powerful car though. I didnt notice any difference when I put my 17"s on a few weeks ago.

My car had 185/55/15s

it now has 195/45/16s

The diameter is actually less, so i get more grip, and better acceleration..

17 inc have a bigger diameter therfore giving you a slower acceleration but because of the bigger diameter you by find your car has a slight higher top speed. i have 17s and have put my standerds on and felt a big diffrent.

anyone notice a change after fitting 16s (195/45/16s) as an upgrade from 15s (195/50/15s)

Im thinking about some 16inch speedlines shortly, put i dont wunna shoot myself in the foot.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by phat16v on 22 October 2003

"I sure as hell wont ever go back to 17s"

"Ive been warned off going for 17"s as they do make a noticeable difference. Hence why Im going for 16"s instead.Borrow some 15"s off someone, and go for a blast. Bet you will change them then".

"17 ins have a bigger diameter therfore giving you a slower acceleration but because of the bigger diameter you by find your car has a slight higher top speed. i have 17s and have put my standerds on and felt a big different".

"The bigger & heavier you go the more the in-gear acceleration is bound to suffer. Just try spinning a big 26" wheel on a pushbike by hand - then try a smaller wheel on a BMX. The difference is though that the car decelerates less during gearchanges as the bigger wheel is a bigger energy store (like a flywheel).Its a very small diference on a powerful car though. I didnt notice any difference when I put my 17"s on a few weeks ago".
How the heck can 1" diameter extra on a wheel make any difference, especially when using a lower profile tyre? The circumference would measure exactly the same, the only difference might be a bit more weight, unless of course you have a lighter wheel, like Super Ls or Dare V2s or similar.

How many people buy cars to whizz along 1/4 mile strips every day?? Maybe three or four times a year some guys do this but for the other 360 days in the year, does it matter if it takes .0004 of a second longer to pull away from traffic lights or to drive out of your works car park?

Get real!!!

I have 17" wheels on my car and it makes no difference that I am aware of, apart from improving the appearance of my car - so everyone says!!

Have to agree with GR on this one, im not into the whole 1/4 times etc just want a fast good looking motor on a nice set of big rims! Am running 205/40/17s and i aint noticed any difference in performance!!

C

chip16v

there seems to be abit of difference in opinion here thats why i asked if anyone had proved it. persionally i belive that size has nothing to do with it because when you put lower profile tryres on it keeps the radius roughly the same. but the extra weight could effect it because on 17s those extra 2 inchs in size are made of metal wereas on a 15 inch it would just be air in the trye, if that makes sense?. anyway thats for everybody opinions on the subject

im off to santa pod on sunday to run before the engine comes out next week ill try with the 18s and then if i can be arsed to fit the std brakes before the weekend ill try some 15s. im not expecting spectacular times with either cause the exhaust is still blowing at the front pipe and i cant be bothered to fix that when its getting thrown out next week;)

Titanium 182

well, on a powerfull car i think they dont make much diff tbh,

sxi boy has 17s on his valver hew recons if he put it back on 15s it would be the fastest thing on 4 wheels lol, but persoanny i dont, they might take that tiny bit longer to get going but thats that

i have dare v2s on my 90hp vtr and they bloody killed it lol, it just doesnt want to move but its not got much power, i girl racer, what makes u think there lighter?

I can "feel" the loss of acceleration since I recently put 17s on my cup; funnily enough, its the same "feeling" (but in reverse) that I got when I had the car chipped, ie its hard to measure the losses/gains, but you can definately notice them. Its still plenty quick enough, but has lost a little of that "warp factor 9" scaryness.