ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 / 172 cup, not meaning to cover old ground here

MKIII 138
gazcaddy said:
Also unless you go on a track you will never get near the handling capabilities of any of the renaultsport Clios

depends how you drive on the road. thats like saying a daewoo matiz is great for road as to exploit anymore than that is not needed for road, as if to say the cups handling limits cant be reached on the road..

hundreds of ditches would disagree :D

((btw, ive seen/done it and been on both sides of the car ownership fence and i have been passed by cups in my MKII172 and passed MKII172`s in my cup. it wouldnt struggle imo, not like constant 1minuet creeping by style passing but more like a steady but increasing sail by. if that makes any sense))

ohh and yea i agree about 182cup`s/182trophy argument, there close if not better in some respects (if only down to tyres)) than a 172cup but being lightweight means a can can change direction quicker which in essence is how you turn corners !

double BTW: the disscusion was 172 v 172cup. not 182cup/trophy v 172cup. completley different argument imo as 182 is more advanced and more powerfull. for me a 172MKII is the slowest of all 172`s. MKI is lighter, 182 is more powerful, 172cup is lightest etc..

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
No way a cup would overtake a ff, it don't have enough torque to make a difference....................off the lights it's only a wisper difference as well.

MKIII 138
g40steve said:
No way a cup would overtake a ff, it don't have enough torque to make a difference....................off the lights it's only a wisper difference as well.

forgot to add torque to weight is higher in a cup also

but i guess 90kg + 8-10kg unsprung weight, wider track lower suspension isnt enough of a difference to some

we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I wouldn't disagree with you! Yes I can understand 110kg of a difference and the effect this has on power-to-weight ratio. The difference is that my everyday driving is pretty mundane and a Cup would (unfortunately) make little difference to me (apart from the lack of toys ;) ). I accept that when you're out for a play the 100kg weight difference WILL be apparent.

I don't really think you comments about FF 172 not making full power are fair though - it's the same engine from the same factory that's fitted to Cups, hence there's just as much chance of have a Cup with a duff engine as there is a FF with a duff engine. Although since there's more FF's than Cups, percentages mean that the problem will show up more often in FF's as there's more of them on the road.

At the end of the day I'm happy with my choice and you're happy with your choice! I admit I ain't a great driver anyway and any differences between a FF and a Cup would be neglible in my hands :eek:

Weeman sucks ****
All down to driver ability imo.

Put Jon_r or Nik (iirc from last summer) in a full fat 172 and try your luck against them in a stripped out 172cup and unless you're as good as they are, you'll get spanked!

ffs please can we stop arguing about how much better the cup is supposed to be. the 0-62 time is 6.9 seconds for the cup and 7.1 seconds for the FF, people quote 6.5 but that was what evo managed for a 0-60 not 0-62!!! 0.2 seconds is nothing when it is very easy to lose half a second on a fluffed start or a miss timed gear change. This attitude of which clio is better is putting a lot of people off this forum (including me) as all it appear to be is a bunch of 13 year old arguing who has the better car. Im all for people putting thier opinions forward but please make them informed and not just spouting s**t like a cup will overtake a 172

MINI JCW
meggerman said:
double BTW: the disscusion was 172 v 172cup. not 182cup/trophy v 172cup. completley different argument imo as 182 is more advanced and more powerfull. for me a 172MKII is the slowest of all 172`s. MKI is lighter, 182 is more powerful, 172cup is lightest etc..

Yeah I know this thread was about a 172, but you said the 172 cup was the last true great hot hatch and me personally think the 182 is better all round package

Ziel Nurburgring
Even on track its not that much different. I know from experience at Oulton and an airfield day that both are down to drivers skill. It depends what you want from a car. I'd love a Cup as a second car, but i'd prefered the big car feel in a car thats just as at home on track.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
CHRIS172CUP said:
All down to driver ability imo.

Put Jon_r or Nik (iirc from last summer) in a full fat 172 and try your luck against them in a stripped out 172cup and unless you're as good as they are, you'll get spanked!

Do i count...;)

The cup i think is a bit quicker round the track but the driver is the biggest factor...there are a few GT3 drivers at the ring that could confirm......

FFS.. i was overtaken by a Lupo,,track spec though...