ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 & 182 bottom end differences

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Are there any differences in the bottom ends for a ph1 172 and a 182?

internally or externally (crank case)?

flywheel/clutch the same?

heads interchangable?

cheers :D

Lionel Richie
the 182 head is based on the turbo head (megane) its virtually the same though

i believe all 172/182 heads have the same inlet ports, just the mk1 172 with the larger exhaust ports

'92 172, Lotus Elise
:D

atleast I now *know* it's scrap ;)

"Matteh - Doing things the hard way since 1986"

ITB'd MK1
the 182 head is based on the turbo head (megane) its virtually the same though

i believe all 172/182 heads have the same inlet ports, just the mk1 172 with the larger exhaust ports

3 different inlet ports, one un-ported, one semi ported (CNC) and one fully ported (CNC)

2005 Nissan Navara
They were all CNC'd from Renault mate.
whats the "un-ported, semi-ported, fully ported" about?
The CNC operations on any head arent necessarily about flow gain, its more for repeatability between ports and between heads, especially on a mass-produced basis from a manufacturer such as renault.

ITB'd MK1
They were all CNC'd from Renault mate.
whats the "un-ported, semi-ported, fully ported" about?
The CNC operations on any head arent necessarily about flow gain, its more for repeatability between ports and between heads, especially on a mass-produced basis from a manufacturer such as renault.

I know why it's done. They are NOT all the same though. Like I said we have an early 172 head with no CNC work done, had a CNC'd 172 head in with half the port CNC'd and a 182 head with full CNC work done both very recently.

2005 Nissan Navara
I'd say thats more likely where someone has made an attempt at improving flow.

Ive got various early/late heads kicking about my workshop...ALL CNC'd.

They were CNC'd from the factory.

ITB'd MK1
I'd say thats more likely where someone has made an attempt at improving flow.

Ive got various early/late heads kicking about my workshop...ALL CNC'd.

They were CNC'd from the factory.

right, just nipped into work to get some of my bits and got this head infront of me. 3 words simplify this situation. YOU ARE WRONG ;) I'll take some pictures tuesday, Andy's taken the camera home

2005 Nissan Navara
im wrong that YOU have a head with altered ports, OR im wrong that Renault DIDNT CNC all heads?

Theres a difference....

LY 182
i cant really comment on this one as i havn't measured.. but i did a 182 head recently,, and im sure the exhaust ports were larger than that of my ph2 172 head.. and the ex ports in my 172 head are only half cnc'd ie not quite so far in to the valve area

M

mini-valver

I was told Renault heads were CNC'd from the factory. I have no proof though, lol.

2005 Nissan Navara
yup thats typical of any forum.

Like I said, i'd be intrested to see pics when you have a camera to hand.

ITB'd MK1
Im not following??

certain facts that are taken as read and repeated then passed on and repeated until no-one knows who came up with the fact but it's still accepted. Then you look at it from scratch and realise the only way to be sure is to find out yourself

Stan, I'll get some pics up of the non CNC'd head :)

2005 Nissan Navara
Then you look at it from scratch and realise the only way to be sure is to find out yourself

yup...im basing what ive said on my experiences of these engines.
ALL the heads ive seen (and thats a fair few, of all ph's's) have been CNC'd on the inlets.

TVR Cerbera
Don't forget this is Renault you are talking about. anything is possible. depends what they had in the spares bin for that week......

my ph2 172 head was cnc'd before i ported it, on the inlet only, think it was only partial.