ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 Cup pointers?

Clio P.O.S
Time for a can of worms.

I'm wanting something cheap (to buy, I get paid for fuel) and have found (not appalling) insurance for a RS Clio.

Thing is, I'm not sure which to get.

First I thought 182cup. It doesn't have things like xenons (I run my lights whenever I'm in the car and xenons aren't cheap to replace when they die), it doesn't have that shitty heat shielded windscreen (which also blocks GPS and radar signals. However, 182s are more common and I can always just smash and claim for a new windscreen so that's not the end of the world.

Secondly, it will probably end up getting modified, not sure how far. But that basically makes a warranty pointless, so now I'm thinking I could get a 172cup (2003-4) and spend the savings on modifications.

Few things though,

Does the 172cup have cruise control???

I think the lack of ABS would actually help slow me down where nessecary.

I am under the impression the 172s have shorter gear ratios?? Is the top speed less than a 182, if so, how much?

Are there many engine mods out there for these cars?? I know the 182 manifold is worthwhile, and have spoke to BenR before about inlet manifolds.

On Autotrader there are 172cups for less than £7k at about 32k miles (not sure whether they've been serviced or not though)

The last thing is air con. Are many cups floating round with this option on? Or is it like 182s with Recaros ?

Any pointers are appreciated.

Cup 172
Time for a can of worms.

I'm wanting something cheap (to buy, I get paid for fuel) and have found (not appalling) insurance for a RS Clio.

Thing is, I'm not sure which to get.

First I thought 182cup. It doesn't have things like xenons (I run my lights whenever I'm in the car and xenons aren't cheap to replace when they die), it doesn't have that s**tty heat shielded windscreen (which also blocks GPS and radar signals. However, 182s are more common and I can always just smash and claim for a new windscreen so that's not the end of the world.

Secondly, it will probably end up getting modified, not sure how far. But that basically makes a warranty pointless, so now I'm thinking I could get a 172cup (2003-4) and spend the savings on modifications.

Few things though,

Does the 172cup have cruise control???

I think the lack of ABS would actually help slow me down where nessecary.

I am under the impression the 172s have shorter gear ratios?? Is the top speed less than a 182, if so, how much?

Are there many engine mods out there for these cars?? I know the 182 manifold is worthwhile, and have spoke to BenR before about inlet manifolds.

On Autotrader there are 172cups for less than £7k at about 32k miles (not sure whether they've been serviced or not though)

The last thing is air con. Are many cups floating round with this option on? Or is it like 182s with Recaros ?

Any pointers are appreciated.

Okay...
172 Cup doesnt have crusie control
Gear ratios are the same. Top speed is 138mph (i think). Only difference is 172 Cup is lighter so acceration is around the same as a 182 Cup.
Engine mods are failr expensive for relatively small gains (not an expert though), youd probably be better upgrading suspension and brakes.
Some of the last (53) plate cups came with air con, but not many.

Ta

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Am i right in thinking it's not the heated whindsheild that blocks the gps it's the anti glare stuff?

Clio P.O.S
I take it the 172cup doesn't have one either?

I have just done a quote for a 172. £200 more than a 182cup but obviously a lot cheaper in the first place.

What are the RS Clio engines like for reliability ?? I don't see many bad things about them on here. Do they appreciate power gains??

Clio P.O.S
Yup.

Can't remember my password so can only login as the real khunt at home (can't access gmail at this office either!!)

In view of past discussions on here I'm surprised you'd even consider a 172 Cup due to the lack of ABS.

As I've said, it does concern me, but I've had cars without ABS before, and I'll have a company car for commuting soon anyway, won't lose my NCD if I smash that:rasp:

Get the 172 Cup if you can live without the toys of the other models. The 182 Cup does'nt offer enough of a weight advantage over the 182 FF to justify not having the toys and better interior IMO

Clio P.O.S
As I look at it, as long as I got a 172 with CC. The only toy missing is cruise control.

I think the fact the 172 already has turinis and something like £2k cheaper than the 182 equivalent (waste of warranty if I get one with warranty remaining...) is a point I need to remember.

As I look at it, as long as I got a 172 with CC. The only toy missing is cruise control. Cups with CC are fairly rare

I think the fact the 172 already has turinis and something like £2k cheaper than the 182 equivalent (waste of warranty if I get one with warranty remaining...) is a point I need to remember.

Bear in mind insurance can actually be higher for 172 Cups than 182 Cups. Something to do with no ABS and crashing apparently.....;)

Turinis are the shizzle. The 172 Cup is the real deal

DC5

Its in the for sale section IIRC.

Yep - http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=187013

Quite a few pages there so to sum it up there is:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Clio-...83QQihZ004QQcategoryZ9861QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/127291.htm

Got a few miles on the clock, but any work that has needed to be done has been carried out recently. I am after a quick sale so would take £5k. Leaving you pleanty to mod the car as much as you desired :D

Clio P.O.S
As I look at it, as long as I got a 172 with CC. The only toy missing is cruise control. Cups with CC are fairly rare

Bear in mind insurance can actually be higher for 172 Cups than 182 Cups. Something to do with no ABS and crashing apparently.....;)

Turinis are the shizzle. The 172 Cup is the real deal

Done a quote. £200 more. So still cheaper overall. No-body has mentioned engine reliability. Most Clio things are cheap to fix, and the Cup hasn't got much anyway, as they break, replace them with aftermarket parts, but can't really do that with an engine, drivetrain or gearbox cheaply.

DC5
As long as they are serviced regularly they are good for quite a few miles past the 100k. The main thing to worry about is getting the cam belit done at 72k or 5 yrs (mine has been done ;))

Clio P.O.S
As long as they are serviced regularly they are good for quite a few miles past the 100k. The main thing to worry about is getting the cam belit done at 72k or 5 yrs (mine has been done ;))

Hmmm, few more miles than ideal for me (I do s**t loads of miles) but looks good and hopefully run-in. Will brainstorm tonight.

Clio P.O.S
Gearbox is generally going to go in any abused car really. Any other serious issues or are they competent cars?

Edit: Just looked on 172cup.co.uk.... WTF is with all the slut topics ???

DC5

Hmmm, few more miles than ideal for me (I do s**t loads of miles) but looks good and hopefully run-in. Will brainstorm tonight.

Like you said, you'll have a company car for your commute, so a lot of your mileage will be done in that I'd imagine ;)

I am in the same boat, do a lot of motorway miles to work and back, hence why the mileage is quite high.

It is a good car for the money and does not need a thing doing to it until the tax needs replacing in October.

Clio P.O.S

Like you said, you'll have a company car for your commute, so a lot of your mileage will be done in that I'd imagine ;)

I am in the same boat, do a lot of motorway miles to work and back, hence why the mileage is quite high.

It is a good car for the money and does not need a thing doing to it until the tax needs replacing in October.

What's the top end of the 172cups ?? I have seen a couple of people saying they've seen nearly 150 on the needle of 182s

DC5
No idea, never been there. I have done 135 with 5 people in the car (on a private road of course), and it was still going.

Clio P.O.S
Not bad!

I know there's loads of arguing about it, but how much quicker is the 172 than the 182 overall?? Couple of car lengths at 100??

Not that such petit CS battles matter to me :eek:

Not bad!

I know there's loads of arguing about it, but how much quicker is the 172 than the 182 overall?? Couple of car lengths at 100??

Not that such petit CS battles matter to me :eek:

I've never done much more than 130mph in mine before I bottle it (still pulling though). Should top out at around 140mph.

Theres not much between any RS Clio variants (common Khunt! you should know that by now!). Any advantage is gained by the driver and possibly a 'good' engine - some engines don't achieve the quoted power and torque, others achieve slightly over.

DC5
All 172 cups are corkers (especially those that have just passed the 60k mile mark - well run in you see)

So short of doint a top speed run on the test drive, there's not much you can do to tell whether it's a corker or a porker...

Not sure even that would tell you - they all get to a similar top speed, its how quick the get there ;)

If your planning to mod the engine one of the best mods (value for money wise too) is inlet manifold matching - which is where the difference between a good and a bad engine lies IIRC. So if you think about it its no big deal.

I plan to get mine matched. So I'm interested to find if mine was particularly well matched to begin with or not - perhaps proving 172cupwizards hand picked/bench tested theory.

Clio P.O.S
BenR right?

I've spoken to him before, I'm not sure I'd want to go down the road of TB or Turbo, but for starters..

Straight through exhaust (weight lost, power gained) will also slow me down so that I don't deafen myself.
Polished inlet manifold as you mentioned
Shall speak to BenR about induction kits, I've seen mixed things about it, yet Fred mentioned a 182 with a "properly setup" Pipercross getting a 13.9 second quarter mile. And edde mentioned BenR raving about one.
Back seats out, maybe even Recaros up front?
And finally some rolling road time with my man at Superchips-Machester

BenR right? Yep

I've spoken to him before, I'm not sure I'd want to go down the road of TB or Turbo, but for starters.. Keep it NA. TB's will give you more than enough go!!

Straight through exhaust (weight lost, power gained) will also slow me down so that I don't deafen myself.
Polished inlet manifold as you mentioned
Shall speak to BenR about induction kits, I've seen mixed things about it, yet Fred mentioned a 182 with a "properly setup" Pipercross getting a 13.9 second quarter mile. And edde mentioned BenR raving about one.
Back seats out, maybe even Recaros up front?
And finally some rolling road time with my man at Superchips-Machester

Khunt you are finally on the path to enlightenment. I thought you were lost to the dark ways of diesel. :approve:

I'm blatantly gonna be losing the back seats sooner or later. Probably when I start to track it in the coming months.

Only induction kit I'd bother with is the ITG Maxogen (2nd hand though, too much brand new!).