ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 Cup pointers?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Khunt you are finally on the path to enlightenment. I thought you were lost to the dark ways of diesel. :approve:

I'm blatantly gonna be losing the back seats sooner or later. Probably when I start to track it in the coming months.

Only induction kit I'd bother with is the ITG Maxogen (2nd hand though, too much brand new!).

I don't have any obsession with gas oil.... Despite what it might seem, but I'm not ignorant;)

When I find a car, be it 172 or 182, I'll make sure I get a video for you guys... verse my cousins 330d and 120d. I am willing to bet a body part that the Clio will lose. But it's cheap, and BMWs are not. I have a feeling the Clio will be right behind the 1 series 0-40, up from there, you will see 2L diesel power. Imo, it's not even worth racing the 330d, but considering the thoughts are that all diesels are slow, I'll do it for you;)

Regarding the Induction. MATT BLACK seems to love the Pipercross, and he must be doing something right to build the fastest Clio.. Ever?? Albeit with a VAG engine. Fred@Yozzasport also says they're good when setup right.... Not sure how that is though. Edde also said that BenR found the Viper to be the best, again when setup correctly.

DC5
I don't have any obsession with gas oil.... Despite what it might seem, but I'm not ignorant;)

When I find a car, be it 172 or 182, I'll make sure I get a video for you guys... verse my cousins 330d and 120d. I am willing to bet a body part that the Clio will lose. But it's cheap, and BMWs are not. I have a feeling the Clio will be right behind the 1 series 0-40, up from there, you will see 2L diesel power. Imo, it's not even worth racing the 330d, but considering the thoughts are that all diesels are slow, I'll do it for you;)

Regarding the Induction. MATT BLACK seems to love the Pipercross, and he must be doing something right to build the fastest Clio.. Ever?? Albeit with a VAG engine. Fred@Yozzasport also says they're good when setup right.... Not sure how that is though. Edde also said that BenR found the Viper to be the best, again when setup correctly.

You've not been in a 172 / 182 before have you. A 120d will not be ahead at any stage (my dad had one). Never had a play with a 330d, but have against a 535d, it was fairly close, but I was ahead in the end.

Regarding the Induction.....

Hey, its just my opinion. Not saying its the end all and be all.

Get a Viper if you wish :) They are a cheaper than a Maxogen for a start. One thing I worry about with open feeds like those is the danger of sucking up water if you hit a big puddle or have to cross a ford.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Regarding the Induction.....

Hey, its just my opinion. Not saying its the end all and be all.

Get a Viper if you wish :) They are a cheaper than a Maxogen for a start. One thing I worry about with open feeds like those is the danger of sucking up water if you hit a big puddle or have to cross a ford.

Indeed, well I shall put research into it beforehand obviously.

I don't think the water thing is a big issue. I've seen M5s with CAI's on the bottom grill and they have no trouble hitting water. Also bare in mind, when you hit the water, there's nothing ahead of the car that will send water up and directly into the intake. Again, research to be done.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
You've not been in a 172 / 182 before have you. A 120d will not be ahead at any stage (my dad had one). Never had a play with a 330d, but have against a 535d, it was fairly close, but I was ahead in the end.

Did your dad's one have 220bhp and 500nm ???

535d will annihilate any Clio at any speed standard. A friend of mine used to have a 360bhp/900nm 535d, though he sold it and now drives a Mitsi truck :dead:

And the 330d in question was faster than the 535d, although even standard ones will still waste the 172cup. I don't need to drive one to know that a Clio will be behind. I'm still buying one though, because there's not that many BMW 3L diesels knocking around that would go racing. I will give you that a 2L diesel standard will be behind a 172cup on a 0-100 sprint.

Mk2 Ph2 1.4 16v Dynamic
i can say for afact that an e46 330d wont beat a 172 cup, my valver tortured a 330d and it was standard, raced a 120d and it struggled, just bought an 02 172 cup and therse no mission a 120 d would sit with it at any speed,thats silly. bare in mind most e46 330d's are 184bhp with a 0-60 of 7.8 vs the cups 6.5-6.9, work it out.the newer 330d's are 230bhp or there abouts with the same 0-60 as the 172 cup.look at the stats. ive been in a 120d and 330d,bags of torque but needs it to pull the weight.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
i can say for afact that an e46 330d wont beat a 172 cup, my valver tortured a 330d and it was standard, raced a 120d and it struggled, just bought an 02 172 cup and therse no mission a 120 d would sit with it at any speed,thats silly. bare in mind most e46 330d's are 184bhp with a 0-60 of 7.8 vs the cups 6.5-6.9, work it out.the newer 330d's are 230bhp or there abouts with the same 0-60 as the 172 cup.look at the stats. ive been in a 120d and 330d,bags of torque but needs it to pull the weight.

Yawn.

You'll get a video in May.

Mk2 Ph2 1.4 16v Dynamic
btw the way go onto streetfire.net and theres a 172 cup smoking a 130d to about 100 then it slowly starts to catch the clio,very slowly,and thats a 230bhp 1 series.

Mk2 Ph2 1.4 16v Dynamic
i'll get you a video in a few weeks, i know somone with an e46 330d and on paper it is 184 bhp with about 300nm of torque.0-60 7.8 top end 141mph.your being silly

BMW M4; S1000 RR
i'll get you a video in a few weeks, i know somone with an e46 330d and on paper it is 184 bhp with about 300nm of torque.0-60 7.8 top end 141mph.your being silly

180bhp ??? Who cares ???

This thing has 320bhp. Even with 230bhp it would still waste it. Which is where the 1 series comes in. It out accelerates Evo8's for f**k sake and only has 220bhp. It's about peak power, it's about usable power, if you have high power in your power band, it's going to accelerate quicker. Hence why a 200bhp turbo will accelerate faster than a 200bhp N/A (providing the weight is the same).

DC5
Well obviously all these oil burners you talk about aren't standard. Modify a clio and it will be a different story again. A 172 Cup will beat a standard 120d and a standard 330d!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Well obviously all these oil burners you talk about aren't standard. Modify a clio and it will be a different story again. A 172 Cup will beat a standard 120d and a standard 330d!

This WILL beat that. That WILL destroy this... Please stop.

Have you even been a passenger in a new 330d let alone drive one. They're different cars. Aimed at different people. Maybe the 0-60 times are close (nothing else about them are), I know which I'd rather be in, but for £32k atm, I would have to be considering a few robberies/murders. So for not a lot of cash atm, I can get a 172cup, strip it, tune it, and enjoy the frills of a track car on the road.

Normal 330d's shouldn't be a problem off the line, and I look forward to competing again, but if it's mapped, or rolling above 50mph.... Just pull over ;)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
BTW Bezza, I would love to call you right now and buy your car. But I must wait until April so that it's at least a little practical to do so.

If for whatever reason you decide not to sell it for a few more months.... Drop me a PM when it's time :evil:

Mk2 Ph2 1.4 16v Dynamic
thankyou bezza, it would be a different story if the clio was tuned, it was never mentioned that this super super bmw was 320bhp or modified. one question, why are you being negative in terms of performance about a car that you are buying?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'm not....

I just laugh when people don't recognise how far diesel has come recently.

I don't think you understand how much I would laugh if the "crap car" I'm going to buy, kept up with either one of those cars I mentioned. I would officially have a super-clio...

Golf GTI PP Mk7
with regard to top end its all about the luck of the draw really. My cup requires a steep downhill, and a gale force tail wind to get past 130mph, but having said that the low end accelerarion seems better than most RS's, its noticably quicker than a 182 cup, so i would worry too much, how often do you honestly go past 120mph?? really?

DC5
BTW Bezza, I would love to call you right now and buy your car. But I must wait until April so that it's at least a little practical to do so.

If for whatever reason you decide not to sell it for a few more months.... Drop me a PM when it's time :evil:

I think the car is now sold mate. You shouldn't have a problem trying to find another though.

I wasn't being negative towards the diesil's, especially BMW's as I know they have come a very long way, and are great cars. It just appeared that you were saying that they would be quicker than a Cup from a standing start, and I know that wouldn't be the case. Once tuned or already moving, then I know it will quite probably be a different story.

First I thought 182cup. It doesn't have things like xenons (I run my lights whenever I'm in the car and xenons aren't cheap to replace when they die), it doesn't have that s**tty heat shielded windscreen (which also blocks GPS and radar signals.

I am under the impression the 172s have shorter gear ratios?? Is the top speed less than a 182, if so, how much?

Are there many engine mods out there for these cars?? I know the 182 manifold is worthwhile, and have spoke to BenR before about inlet manifolds.

The last thing is air con. Are many cups floating round with this option on? Or is it like 182s with Recaros ?
Only about 200 or so Cups with CC when new and enough have been writen off.

182 exhaust manaiofld and intake manifold work are good but of course power isn't cheap unlike a turbo or diesel to get.

Ratios are very similar 140mpg they cna hit the readline often all cars in top which is about 142mpg so gearings no real different.

Zenons cna be fitted ot the car there just a plug in unit

The screen doesn't stop GPS and radar being used though. I'd prefere one with it as there always stronger.

Bear in mind insurance can actually be higher for 172 Cups than 182 Cups. Something to do with no ABS and crashing apparently.....;)

All 182 have ABS its just the 172 Cups that don't it became a legal requirment just as the Cup ended products that any mass produced car needs to have it.

Think they are all quoted as being the same, about 140mph.

Yep there or there abouts, the ratios chnages are only small realy.

iirc the 172 cups have hand picked/bench tested engines! ;)

I've heard that too. Is it true?

At the RR day I went to the four Cups did perform well :approve:

Nope there not hand picked they just stock engines picked of the line the only reason there often quick is they have less power spaed due to a less complex AUX belt setupand often driven harder which helped make them quicker.

Clio P.O.S
The screen doesn't stop GPS and radar being used though. I'd prefere one with it as there always stronger.

If it's the same one I have in the DCi then it doesn't let GPS through, although I can fit the receiver under that "small open patch"..

Radar though... I first thought my radar detector was broken, because it was only picking up cameras when I was on top of them or they were behind me. Works fine in other cars though so I put it down to the windscreen.