ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 difference

Sorry for such a novice question. Other than the bhp im not sure what the difference is between the 172 and 182. Is the cup simply lighter?
Should i save longer and get a 182, or is the 172 just as good.

Thanks all.

id get the 182, there lighter that the 172s, there slightly better made, has more power, twin tailpipes, bigger tyres, better suspension (cup packs), nicer alloys, different gearing, nicer leather seats

there are plenty of minor differences in the spec and a few cosmetic differences which imo all add up to make it a better car all round. do a search on the topic its been discussed on here loads of times.

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 19 January 2005
182 seems to have much better build quality than the 172, so Id go for that.

is that fact or opinon!, as theyre built on the same production line by the same men still using a decent percentage of parts used on the 172, i say the chances are more likely to be that they have the same french dubious build quality. Hands up 182 owners who dont have a single rattle.. EXACTLY!

FACT!

Better then the Mk1 anyway :) Cant be much different the the mk2 172 practially the same car isnt it.

I dont have a single rattle on my 182 (hand in air) but its only a week old lol

insignia

Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 19 January 2005

id get the 182, there lighter that the 172s, there slightly better made, has more power, twin tailpipes, bigger tyres, better suspension (cup packs), nicer alloys, different gearing, nicer leather seats

Dont like the twin tale pipes IMO,tyres are same size as any 172 owner can have bigger tyre? Wouldnt say the seats are nicer there just slightly different patterned. all other I agree but youd be pushed to notice the difference as Ive said many times before

Quote: Originally posted by admob on 19 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 19 January 2005

182 seems to have much better build quality than the 172, so Id go for that.

is that fact or opinon!, as theyre built on the same production line by the same men still using a decent percentage of parts used on the 172, i say the chances are more likely to be that they have the same french dubious build quality. Hands up 182 owners who dont have a single rattle.. EXACTLY!

*hand up* (unless you count the cds rattling in the door card because ive been too lazy to take them out)

ive owned my 182 for a couple of months now and had a mk2 172 for 2 & 1/2 years before that and i personally feel its a better car for the revisions and tweeks and if having to choose one or the other i would personally opt for the 182 if finances allowed.

I still have both cars and have no problems with either the 172 or the 182

build there the same imo.

tyre size is the same !!!!

seats are the same !!!!

I like the gearing better on the 172, the 182 takes a while to get going,

The 182 handles better but i did go for the cup pack and there also wider track.

If not a 182 with cup pack i would say they handle the same.

The 182 gets to 100 mph a tad quicker on my local bypass.

the 182 has nasty coloured seat belts and nasty seat belt alarm grrr

my 182 has no CD multi changer my 172 has.

Bar that its like sitting in the same car.

so you buy what you can afford as there the same car in most respects.

Guess i have opened up a can of worms with this debate... sorry!!

Are the things like 6 disc cd, climate control etc all options??

Is the extra cup packs simply to do with the spoiler, and handling tweaks, or do they mean extras inside the cabin. I thought it would be a simple choice between the 172/182 but there seems to be so many variations!!

Thanks again for the the discussions

the disc changer is an option, cc is standard on the 182 (except the 182cup, it gets normal aircon)

the cup pack is revised suspension , & darker alloys

the cup spoiler pack is enlarged rear spoiler and front lower splitter, there is nothing extra in the cabin with either cup pack

insignia

Quote: Originally posted by Mrdemon on 19 January 2005

<SCRIPT language=javascript> I still have both cars and have no problems with either the 172 or the 182

seats are the same !!!!

The 182 handles better but i did go for the cup pack and there also wider track.

Exactly right,well said.

Lee

BMW M2C

I think the best indication of how much better the 182 is over the 172 is the press it has received. When the Mk1 172 was released it got plenty of good press, but the Mk2 came out into a world of CTRs etc and went very much in mentioned. The 182 however is being raved about and winning motoring awards all over the place.

Its the car Renault should have built in the first place, instead it evolved into one of the best hot hatches around today.

The biggest improvment is in the handling. My old 172, but not a patch on the 182 with Cup pack. The 182 was amazing around Spa.

Oh and I had a 172 for 15 months and now have a 182.

Quote: Originally posted by Jordie on 19 January 2005

Guess i have opened up a can of worms with this debate... sorry!!

dont worry

Are the things like 6 disc cd, climate control etc all options??

optional on the 182, 172 is year dependant some years had it standard other had it as an option. the climate is std on both 172 and 182, as is xenon lights (with a light sensor) and rain sensor for the wipers etc.

Is the extra cup packs simply to do with the spoiler, and handling tweaks, or do they mean extras inside the cabin. I thought it would be a simple choice between the 172/182 but there seems to be so many variations!!

yup cup packs are the spoiler pack (bigger rear spoiler and a little black splitter on the front bumper) and handling pack(revised suspension different tyres and wheels)

Thanks again for the the discussions

fat 182

182s are better !

;)
and i thought the tyres are diffrent sizes cos mine are diffrent to my mates 172 mk2

[Edited by dazraffan on 19 January 2005 at 2:49pm]

Quote: Originally posted by 182 sport on 19 January 2005

<SCRIPT language=javascript> I still have both cars and have no problems with either the 172 or the 182

seats are the same !!!!

Exactly right,well said.

are you saying the tyres/seats are the same, also if your 182 takes time to get going then there is something wrong with it

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 19 January 2005

I think the best indication of how much better the 182 is over the 172 is the press it has recieved. When the Mk1 172 was released it got plenty of good press, but the Mk2 came out into a world of CTRs etc and went very much in mentioned. The 182 however is being raved about and winning motoring awards all over the place.

Its the car Renault should have built in the first place, instead it evolved into one of the best hot hatches around today.

Oh and I had a 172 for 15 months and now have a 182.

me and lee were having this chat a few days after i picked mine up and i felt the same. it just feels and drives how the 172 shoulf have done to start with IMO lots of minor changes that add up to an all round better drive.

fat 182

how long is this going to go on for all this my dads bigger than your dad boloc*ks

carnt we all be happy with are cars and all agree there all pretty good !

;)

iv got a 172 cup its got NOT one single rattle, iv got climate control, Aircon, seats on the cup are not as nice as the standard 172 but i like the cups exterior LOOK better IMO and 172 cup wheels are nicer than any other mk2/182/ wheels.

if you have up to 10,000 get a 172 if u have more then that get a 182 but realy theres not alot of diffrence i think;)

Focus ST3

You can get a 182 or 172 for under £10k (used with few miles) so why not buy whichever one you like best ? I know thats a radical idea ;)

you 182 owners are only saying that because its your new car,

there is nothing wrong with my 182 as it is quicker i just think my 172 picks up quicker from a start where the 182 does not pick up as well. may be the miles on the 172 has helped free it up and the engine is run in.

As every one has the cup pack on this forum then yes you will see a big change from your 172. And there is a bigger hit at 5k on the 182,the wider track seems to help too but i am not sure if thats just a wheel ofset thing.

But build for build there are the same car i change cars every day and theres nothing in it. (infact my 172 looks better :))

182 sport seems to agree with me and he still has both cars :)

http://www.nicolecooke.co.uk/newold.jpg

172, Tiguan

Toms 182 seemed to have a different power delivery to mine.

If your in the market for a fast Clio now youd be stupid not to buy a 182, after all its the newer model therefore its the one to have come sell on time.

o and yes there is no key lock on a 182 drivers door !!!

which might make up yor mind lol

see pic :)

And ones worth 7.8k the other is worth 10.5k

so it is down to money the more you have the newer the car u buy...

Lee

BMW M2C

My 182 is a lot quicker than my 172 ever was, but then I dont think my 172 was a good example.

Build quality is no different IMO. Both rattle, and so far my 182 has had more issues than my 172. I covered 22500 miles in the 172 pretty much trouble free. My 182 on the other hand has already had the exhaust done, knocking sorted and is currently running very lumpy at idle and leaking water from the headlamp washer. But its still an amazing car.

seats are the same !!!!

How true would you say this comment is? Is there anyone else who agrees/disagrees with this? I never opted for the cup suspension pack, why i really dont no, but have been in a 182 with the suspension and it handles so good round the corners!!!!

I thought that the non cupped suspension was an improvement over the existing 172 is this not to be the case?

Also what suspension kit could i fit to my car that will mimmick the cup suspension pack???

Cheers

Rob.