ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172-200 engine bottom end.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Hi all,

just a quick question. Are all F4R Pistons/Rods the same? Or are they different?

As in would a 172 Conrod or Piston be the same as the 197/200 Pistons/Rods?

Im 99.9% sure I know the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask to be 100%

I know the engine code itself is different, the 197/200 is the F4R830 and the 172 is F4R730??

Can someone clarify.

Seen some parts listed as 'F4R' but nothing else.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
I know the pistons are different although I'm not 100% on the rods they may be longer.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Rods are the same length, but some pictures laine I think it was put up showed the later ones to be a little heavier.

Pistons are much higher comp on the later engines, they are raised up in the middle to poke right into the chamber, later head is a bigger volume to drop the cr back down a bit, if you put the late pistons with an early head it ends up at about 12:1 iirc

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Thanks for the input guys :)

so that clarifys that the rods are the same :)

with regards to the pistons, would Wosner high comp pistons be the same compression in a 172 or 200. Or would the 1*2 high comp ones need to be a different compression?

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Cheers for clearing that up Chip :) I thought I'd just clarify :)

i won't bother in that case then. They are just listed as 'F4R' so chances are they'll be for a 1*2 rather than a 197/200

cheers guys :)