ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 ABS disable

Clio Sport 2000 PH2
Hi,

I know there are plenty of threads on how to disable the ABS but I have never found a good answer because they all end up in "you will die if you remove the fuse" etc.

So, I will not remove the fuse and I don't have the time right now to replace the braking components to Clio Cup ones. Perhaps I'll do that during the winter though.

What I'm looking for is a quick fix that doesn't mess with the brake bias. Is it possible to just cut off one of the wires from the ABS sensors?

That's what I have done on my VX220 and added a switch to it. But it needs to be the correct wire in order to keep the speedometer working. Perhaps it's the same with the Clio?

My Clio 172 is a race car and will not be driven on the roads, and the brakes have behaved strangely on the track, something I believe is due to the ABS system.

Cheers,
Per

Clio Sport 2000 PH2
Yes, I will do that later.

I guess I have to cut off a wire and see how it behaves. I don't think anyone designs a car that gets 50/50 brake bias in case one of the sensors break, right? Not even french engineers I hope :)

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Yes, I will do that later.

I guess I have to cut off a wire and see how it behaves. I don't think anyone designs a car that gets 50/50 brake bias in case one of the sensors break, right? Not even french engineers I hope :)
Yes it will go 50/50 iirc you could plumb in a bias valve as i have in mine
fab7269282fe84b4c4692c1a89a11ac5.jpg

Just unplug the abs harness under the car located within the front passanger a-frame. Don't listen to all the hype of "you'll die if you pull the abs" yeah its not ideal on the road but works great on track. I'm gonna plum in a bias valve eventually like above.

Here's mine with 50/50 bias on track...

Clio Sport 2000 PH2
Thanks for your advice, mates. I just bought a cup master cylinder off ebay. Is there a good guide on doing the conversion?

Do people swap the entire brake lines or just make four new lines that connect the master cylinder and the brake lines after the ABS unit?

Do I need something else? I read something about a compensator valve.

Cheers

Skickat från min SM-G800F via Tapatalk

Commie VID

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise 111S, Model 3
I haven't done this myself, but I would think the compensator valve sits around the rear axle, and presumably there's a brake line to that which splits to the rear brakes. That's where they were on the Peugeot when I had to sort imbalance (it had two on separate lines).
With our car still in bits, I have noticed what I believe to be the speedo drive wire from the gearbox, which gives me enough reason to believe the speedo isn't run from the ABS, so our car is also ripe for removing the ABS completely.
I have a Lotus Elise and a Peugeot 205 GTI, both don't have ABS (nor airbags) and last time I checked, I'm still alive.

Clio Sport 2000 PH2
I haven't done this myself, but I would think the compensator valve sits around the rear axle, and presumably there's a brake line to that which splits to the rear brakes. That's where they were on the Peugeot when I had to sort imbalance (it had two on separate lines).
With our car still in bits, I have noticed what I believe to be the speedo drive wire from the gearbox, which gives me enough reason to believe the speedo isn't run from the ABS, so our car is also ripe for removing the ABS completely.
I have a Lotus Elise and a Peugeot 205 GTI, both don't have ABS (nor airbags) and last time I checked, I'm still alive.

As I understand, the compensator valve (or load sensor as some seems to call it) sits by the rear axle like you say. On the Cup it's not connected to the axle, thus has no influence on the brake force of the rear brakes, while the normal 172 has the valve connected to the rear axle and compensates the braking force for the load. So if the valves of the two car models are the same (which I'm not sure they are), then I guess it's just to remove the connecting arm between the valve and the axle?

In that case I just need to figure out how to connect the new master cylinder with the existing brake lines :)