ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Alloys - 195's or 205's??

Cam'd Arctic FF 182
Hi all,

I've got a set of 16" (5-spoke) 172 alloys on my clio at the mo' but one of them deflated while it was standing outside my house.
I took it to the "Just Tyres" place in Nuneaton and the bloke had a look at it and said that the seal was bad because the alloys hadn't been cleaned when the tyres were put on and the tyre is too small so is being stretched (he reckons the alloys need 205/45/16's) - I've got 195/45/16's on there and I've had the alloys for around 2 months now, having put all new tyres on there when I got them.
Note: The other 3 tyres are fine, no leakage or anything. Also, the bloke trial fitted a 205/45/16 to show me the difference and I'll admit the 205 did look more flush but I'm no tyre expert!

So it begs the question - is the bloke talking out of his arse that I need 205's on there, as the guy who I bought the wheels off had 195's on there?

Also, if you have the same alloys as me, can you post with what tyres you're using please :)

Thanks for reading,

Harri

EDIT: Here's a photo from google images of the same alloys as me, just noticed this wheel has a 195/45/16 on it...
Burts172001.jpg

Last edited:
  172, BMW 120 Msport.
I had them with 195 width tyres on. I think they Come with them standard someone may correct me if im wrong? With 205 tyres they slightly rubbed on the arch lining when turning. Its lowered though.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Standard is 195, but 205 will fit. He's talking out of his arse about the tyre being too small. My advise? Go somewhere that knows their arse from their elbow.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Yep all 172's come with 195's. Imo the car is better on them than the 205's, the 182's tend to 'chew' on full lock.

He's talking b0llocks, take it somewhere who knows what they're talking about. 195 was the standard size for 172s.

tiTTy & SV650
195s look horrendous and offer no rim protection, I will be replacing mine with 205s asap.

Cam'd Arctic FF 182
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I'll get the 195 tyre put back on the rim over the next couple of days, seeing as the other 3 are holding their pressure fine and I can't bear the thought of buying another set of tyres as these are all so new!

It makes sense that you can fit 205's on there aswell but I've already had to put on some 5mm spacers on the rear wheels because they were rubbing through the corners so 205's would probably mean I'd need wider spacers as well!